Unable to perform any downloads from the Mircosoft's Website.

J D ADDISON

Unable to perform any downloads from the Mircosoft's Website.
I noticed that I can't download anything from the Mircosoft website. (Direct
X, updates, IE 8 beta, etc.). When I try to perform a download, I get the
following message in a new window: "Internet Explorer cannot display the
webpage".
I am presently using Windows XP home edition. If there are any solutions to
this, I would be grateful for the help to resolve this problem. Thank you.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Unable to perform any downloads from the Mircosoft's Website.
"J D ADDISON" <JDADDISON@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed that I can't download anything from the Mircosoft website.
>(Direct
> X, updates, IE 8 beta, etc.). When I try to perform a download, I get the
> following message in a new window: "Internet Explorer cannot display the
> webpage".
> I am presently using Windows XP home edition. If there are any solutions
> this, I would be grateful for the help to resolve this problem. Thank you.

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

paula