I don't know what's going on...

Jodi

I don't know what's going on...
Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools in
the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down to
"reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything out
and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks for
choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer settings
AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page which is MSN.
What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a different verson
of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone reply's could and would
you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.

Thanks in advance.,

Jodi
Leonard Grey

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7. If that's
the case we can show you how to identify the add-on that is causing your
problem.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jodi wrote:
> Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools in
> the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down to
> "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything out
> and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks for
> choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer settings
> AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page which is MSN.
> What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a different verson
> of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone reply's could and would
> you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
>
> Thanks in advance.,
>
> Jodi

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: I don't know what's going on...
"Jodi" <Jodi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools
> in
> the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down
> "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything
> out
> and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks for
> choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer
> settings
> AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page which is
> MSN.
> What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a different
> verson
> of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone reply's could and
> would
> you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
>
> Thanks in advance.,
>
> Jodi

It might be a security program blocking the Registry change it needs to
make. A few, but not all, of the programs now doing this are:
Ad-aware's Ad-Watch
IBM Access Connections
Kaspersky
McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware
Norton AV
Spyware Blaster
Spybot> Tools> IE Tweaks
Spybot- Teatimer
Spysweeper
Spyware Doctor
Windows Defender
Zone Alarm (free) 6.5 Reported to be fixed in later versions.

In the case of Zone Alarm 6.5 or Norton 2007 it actually has to be
uninstalled. Make sure the Windows Firewall is turned on until you
reinstall Zone Alarm.

Boot into Safe Mode with Networking and try the change.

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Jodi

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Leonard,

I tried this and it's still doing the same thing. Any othersuggestions? If
I would uninstall IE7 and reinstall it possibly? Would I have to install a
different verison of IE first before uninstalling it?

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
> toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7. If that's
> the case we can show you how to identify the add-on that is causing your
> problem.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jodi wrote:
> > Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools in
> > the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down to
> > "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything out
> > and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks for
> > choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer settings
> > AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page which is MSN.
> > What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a different verson
> > of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone reply's could and would
> > you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.,
> >
> > Jodi

Leonard Grey

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Whenever you post a question about Internet Explorer it's important to
tell us what version of Windows you have, including the service pack.

Here is your next troubleshooting procedure:

"How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jodi wrote:
> Leonard,
>
> I tried this and it's still doing the same thing. Any othersuggestions? If
> I would uninstall IE7 and reinstall it possibly? Would I have to install a
> different verison of IE first before uninstalling it?
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Problems can result when add-ons you have installed, such as browser
>> toolbars, are damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7. If that's
>> the case we can show you how to identify the add-on that is causing your
>> problem.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare humanum est
>>
>> Jodi wrote:
>>> Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools in
>>> the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down to
>>> "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything out
>>> and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks for
>>> choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer settings
>>> AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page which is MSN.
>>> What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a different verson
>>> of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone reply's could and would
>>> you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.,
>>>
>>> Jodi

Re: I don't know what's going on...
I don't know why you started a new thread instead of posting your follow-up
to your original one:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6aca3ca41851c0
--
~PA Bear

Jodi wrote:
> Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools
> in
> the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down
> "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything
> out and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks
> for
> choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer
> settings AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page
> which is MSN. What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a
> different verson of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone
> reply's could and would you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
>
> Thanks in advance.,
>
> Jodi

Jodi

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Because my Mom has a short term memory problem, that's why she never went to
her previous post and you condemn her without knowing her. I had her tell me
what to write so BLAME ME IF YOU HAVE TO BE NASTY!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> I don't know why you started a new thread instead of posting your follow-up
> to your original one:
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6aca3ca41851c0
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Jodi wrote:
> > Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools
> > in
> > the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down
> > "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close everything
> > out and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks
> > for
> > choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer
> > settings AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page
> > which is MSN. What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a
> > different verson of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone
> > reply's could and would you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.,
> >
> > Jodi

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Who's Jodi, you or your Moms?

OK, I'll blame you but I'm not being nasty.

Jodi wrote:
> Because my Mom has a short term memory problem, that's why she never went
> her previous post and you condemn her without knowing her. I had her tell
> me what to write so BLAME ME IF YOU HAVE TO BE NASTY!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> I don't know why you started a new thread instead of posting your
>> follow-up
>> to your original one:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...6aca3ca41851c0
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Jodi wrote:
>>> Everyday I start up my computer I have to open a browser, click on tools
>>> in
>>> the upper left, internet options, click on the advanced tab, and go down
>>> "reset Internet Exployer settings. After that I have to close
>>> everything
>>> out and open the browser again and the page that is displayed is "Thanks
>>> for
>>> choosing Internet Explorer 7 and I have to pick my Internet Explorer
>>> settings AGAIN and then and only then it will let me go to my home page
>>> which is MSN. What am I doing wrong? Can I uninstall IE 7 and install a
>>> different verson of IE because this is SO DANG FRUSTRATING! If anyone
>>> reply's could and would you reply in customer terms not long Dr. Terms.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance.,
>>>
>>> Jodi

Leonard Grey

Re: I don't know what's going on...
Something to keep in mind, Jodi:

Although you may not have known, this is a peer-to-peer newsgroup. No
one here works for or represents Microsoft. We are your fellow computer
users, who try to help each other out with issues concerning Internet
Explorer. Everyone's a volunteer. No one is under any obligation to
answer your question or even to read it. That said, you should try to
make it as easy as possible for someone to help you.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est