Stopping webpage flyouts

Jan Ilacqua

Stopping webpage flyouts
Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad is
deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often it has
a lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or goes too fast
for him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy articles for him
to read from the Internet. More and more of the webpages have these stupid
fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy the text, because as soon as
the cursor comes even anywhere near the fly-out, it flies out and even often
clicking the "Close" x does not close it readily, or takes more than one
click.

I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill them,
but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites that
requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.

Any suggestions of an alternative?

Jan

Leonard Grey

Re: Stopping webpage flyouts
The flyouts are almost invariably advertising, so you can try ad
blocking software.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

Jan Ilacqua wrote:
> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad
> is deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often
> it has a lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or
> goes too fast for him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I
> copy articles for him to read from the Internet. More and more of the
> webpages have these stupid fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy
> the text, because as soon as the cursor comes even anywhere near the
> fly-out, it flies out and even often clicking the "Close" x does not
> close it readily, or takes more than one click.
>
> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill
> them, but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites
> that requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.
>
> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>
> Jan

Michael Jennings

Re: Stopping webpage flyouts
You could try disabling Active scripting when copying for your dad.

Tools > Internet Options > Security > the "Custom level..." button >
scroll to Scripting > first item Active scripting > select Disable >
OK > Yes > OK.

Setting it to Prompt would get you a host of prompts, so don't.
You'll find that lots of things won't work without Active scripting,
including Flash and probably flyouts, but text and pictures will work
and with a lighter load IE is quicker. You can go back and check
Enable when you are done with copying text for your dad to read.

"Jan Ilacqua" <abuse@localhost.invalid> wrote in message
> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad is
> deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often it has a
> lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or goes too fast for
> him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy articles for him to
> read from the Internet. More and more of the webpages have these stupid
> fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy the text, because as soon as the
> cursor comes even anywhere near the fly-out, it flies out and even often
> clicking the "Close" x does not close it readily, or takes more than one
> click.
>
> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill them,
> but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites that
> requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.
>
> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>
> Jan

VanguardLH

Jan Ilacqua wrote:

> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad is
> deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often it has
> a lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or goes too fast
> for him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy articles for him
> to read from the Internet. More and more of the webpages have these stupid
> fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy the text, because as soon as
> the cursor comes even anywhere near the fly-out, it flies out and even often
> clicking the "Close" x does not close it readily, or takes more than one
> click.
>
> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill them,
> but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites that
> requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.
>
> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>
> Jan

Without a better description, my guess of these "flyouts" that you
mention are Javascript hotspots that are coded to present some
advertising content. Intellitext was probably the first a-holes to come
up with this crap, so these types of mouse-hover events are referred to
as intellitext links. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intellitext.

One way to eliminate them is to use entries in a hosts file but you
cannot block by domain. You have to specify host.domain.tld in the
hosts file. Another way is to use a firewall or browser plug-in (like
IE7Pro for IE6 or 7) and filter/block those domains. There are many of
them. I have many added to my blocklist. You could also try
ad-blocking software. You could also disable Javascript in your web
browser to eliminate this Javascripted "feature" of those unidentified
web pages.

Of course, if you had bothered to actually give an example web page then
others would know better what you meant by your self-defined "flyouts"
term.
Jan Ilacqua

> Jan Ilacqua wrote:
>>

> Of course, if you had bothered to actually give an example web page then
> others would know better what you meant by your self-defined "flyouts"
> term.

....look for the greenies... double underlined places
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28033730/page/2/
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28143266/

Jan

Jan Ilacqua

Re: Stopping webpage flyouts
Thanks, Michael. I will do so if there is no other way around it. They are
truly a nit on the flea on the hair on the frog on the rock at the bottom of
the sea.

Jan

"Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
> You could try disabling Active scripting when copying for your dad.
>
> Tools > Internet Options > Security > the "Custom level..." button >
> scroll to Scripting > first item Active scripting > select Disable >
> OK > Yes > OK.
>
> Setting it to Prompt would get you a host of prompts, so don't.
> You'll find that lots of things won't work without Active scripting,
> including Flash and probably flyouts, but text and pictures will work
> and with a lighter load IE is quicker. You can go back and check
> Enable when you are done with copying text for your dad to read.
>
> "Jan Ilacqua" <abuse@localhost.invalid> wrote in message
>> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad
>> is
>> deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often it
>> has a
>> lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or goes too
>> fast for
>> him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy articles for him
>> read from the Internet. More and more of the webpages have these stupid
>> fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy the text, because as soon as
>> the
>> cursor comes even anywhere near the fly-out, it flies out and even often
>> clicking the "Close" x does not close it readily, or takes more than one
>> click.
>>
>> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill
>> them,
>> but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites that
>> requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.
>>
>> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>>
>> Jan

Jan Ilacqua

Re: Stopping webpage flyouts
I will see if I can find one that will stop this kind of nonsense.

Thank you!

Jan

> The flyouts are almost invariably advertising, so you can try ad blocking
> software.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Jan Ilacqua wrote:
>> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad
>> is deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often
>> it has a lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or
>> goes too fast for him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy
>> articles for him to read from the Internet. More and more of the
>> webpages have these stupid fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy
>> the text, because as soon as the cursor comes even anywhere near the
>> fly-out, it flies out and even often clicking the "Close" x does not
>> close it readily, or takes more than one click.
>>
>> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill
>> them, but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites
>> that requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good
>> option.
>>
>> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>>
>> Jan

Michael Jennings

Re: Stopping webpage flyouts
People attempting to control you in order to get your money are
a good deal more common than the metaphor you propose. The
flyouts are irritants from that crowd. You're welcome. Good luck.

> Thanks, Michael. I will do so if there is no other way around it. They are
> truly a nit on the flea on the hair on the frog on the rock at the bottom of
> the sea.
>
> Jan
>
> "Michael Jennings" <metarhyme@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> You could try disabling Active scripting when copying for your dad.
>>
>> Tools > Internet Options > Security > the "Custom level..." button >
>> scroll to Scripting > first item Active scripting > select Disable >
>> OK > Yes > OK.
>>
>> Setting it to Prompt would get you a host of prompts, so don't.
>> You'll find that lots of things won't work without Active scripting,
>> including Flash and probably flyouts, but text and pictures will work
>> and with a lighter load IE is quicker. You can go back and check
>> Enable when you are done with copying text for your dad to read.
>>
>> "Jan Ilacqua" <abuse@localhost.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Is there any way to stop the very annoying fly-outs on webpages? My dad is
>>> deaf, so he can only read the closed captioning of the TV, and often it has
>>> lot of typos, is interrupted between sentences/paragraphs or goes too fast
>>> for
>>> him to really grasp all that is being shown. So I copy articles for him to
>>> read from the Internet. More and more of the webpages have these stupid
>>> fly-outs that make it very difficult to copy the text, because as soon as
>>> the
>>> cursor comes even anywhere near the fly-out, it flies out and even often
>>> clicking the "Close" x does not close it readily, or takes more than one
>>> click.
>>>
>>> I have tried to find something in the options or such that will kill them,
>>> but, nothing so far. I need to have the Flash and such for sites that
>>> requires it for my work, so getting rid of that is not a good option.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions of an alternative?
>>>
>>> Jan

VanguardLH

Jan Ilacqua wrote:

> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>> Jan Ilacqua wrote:
>>>

>> Of course, if you had bothered to actually give an example web page then
>> others would know better what you meant by your self-defined "flyouts"
>> term.

> ...look for the greenies... double underlined places
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28033730/page/2/
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28143266/
>
> Jan

I didn't see any. I have Javascript enabled in IE7 but I also block all
the intellitext domains (that I know about) using IE7Pro's ad-blocker
component. I disabled IE7Pro's ad-blocker and deleting the cached web
files in IE7's temp file cache but I did not get the double-underlined
strings that you mention. I forgot that I also blocked those ad domains
in the web shield in my antivirus software (Avast). I disable the URL
blocking in Avast but still didn't get the double-underlined links.
Guess I have something else blocking those ad sources.

When I visited those web pages, there was a "Disable Fly-Out" link in
the left column. You don't see that?
VanguardLH

VanguardLH wrote:

> Jan Ilacqua wrote:
>
>> "VanguardLH" <V@nguard.LH> wrote in message
>>> Jan Ilacqua wrote:
>>>>
>>> Of course, if you had bothered to actually give an example web page then
>>> others would know better what you meant by your self-defined "flyouts"
>>> term.

>> ...look for the greenies... double underlined places
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28033730/page/2/
>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28143266/
>>
>> Jan

> I didn't see any. I have Javascript enabled in IE7 but I also block all
> the intellitext domains (that I know about) using IE7Pro's ad-blocker
> component. I disabled IE7Pro's ad-blocker and deleting the cached web
> files in IE7's temp file cache but I did not get the double-underlined
> strings that you mention. I forgot that I also blocked those ad domains
> in the web shield in my antivirus software (Avast). I disable the URL
> blocking in Avast but still didn't get the double-underlined links.
> Guess I have something else blocking those ad sources.
>
> When I visited those web pages, there was a "Disable Fly-Out" link in
> the left column. You don't see that?

I did manage to get the flyouts. I forgot to disable both the
ad-blocker in IE7 Pro plug-in and in Avast's URL blocking at the same
time. With both disabled, I saw the double-underlined intellitext
Javascripted hotlinks (which use Flash to show their content).

So if you do some ad-blocking, you'll get rid of this crap. Or disable
scripting in your web browser.