Windows hang when attempting to closie them

Pretender

Windows hang when attempting to closie them
Windows hang up on closing when the close button is used or even if task
panel is used. There is a significant time lapse before they choose to close.
This has been happening for a few weeks now.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
Using: IE 7.0.5370.13
128 bit

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
Thanks for beginning a new thread.

=> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

=> Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
or

2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
(No add-ons).

=> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

=> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pretender wrote:
> Windows hang up on closing when the close button is used or even if task
> panel is used. There is a significant time lapse before they choose to
> close. This has been happening for a few weeks now.
>
> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> Using: IE 7.0.5370.13
> 128 bit

Pretender

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
There was recently a Java update. I'm not sure when my problem began. I
installed 6 critical updates in the last couple days. I'm going to see if the
problem has taken care of itself. Will let you know.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks for beginning a new thread.
>
> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Pretender wrote:
> > Windows hang up on closing when the close button is used or even if task
> > panel is used. There is a significant time lapse before they choose to
> > close. This has been happening for a few weeks now.
> >
> > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> > Using: IE 7.0.5370.13
> > 128 bit

Pretender

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
Problem persists.

Is the following possible? If so, how does one figure how many character are
listed?

This problem occurs if the registry entries under the following subkey total
more than 65,536 characters:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Thanks for beginning a new thread.
>
> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>
> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without Add-ons;
> or
>
> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet Explorer
> (No add-ons).

> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Pretender wrote:
> > Windows hang up on closing when the close button is used or even if task
> > panel is used. There is a significant time lapse before they choose to
> > close. This has been happening for a few weeks now.
> >
> > OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
> > Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> > Using: IE 7.0.5370.13
> > 128 bit

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
Repost:
> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

How does your new question pertain to any of this?

Pretender wrote:
> Problem persists.
>
> Is the following possible? If so, how does one figure how many character
> are
> listed?
>
> This problem occurs if the registry entries under the following subkey
> total
> more than 65,536 characters:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Thanks for beginning a new thread.
>>
>> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
>> start
>> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or
>>
>> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
>> Explorer
>> (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Pretender wrote:
>>> Windows hang up on closing when the close button is used or even if task
>>> panel is used. There is a significant time lapse before they choose to
>>> close. This has been happening for a few weeks now.
>>>
>>> OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
>>> Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
>>> Using: IE 7.0.5370.13
>>> 128 bit

Pretender

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
WinXP SP3 was first.
Event viewer. Error. Hangup. Microsoft explanation.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

> How does your new question pertain to any of this?
>
> Pretender wrote:
> > Problem persists.
> >
> > Is the following possible? If so, how does one figure how many character
> > are
> > listed?
> >
> > This problem occurs if the registry entries under the following subkey
> > total
> > more than 65,536 characters:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for beginning a new thread.
> >>
> >> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer
> >> (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pretender

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/942843/en-us

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Repost:
> > => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

> How does your new question pertain to any of this?
>
> Pretender wrote:
> > Problem persists.
> >
> > Is the following possible? If so, how does one figure how many character
> > are
> > listed?
> >
> > This problem occurs if the registry entries under the following subkey
> > total
> > more than 65,536 characters:
> > HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks for beginning a new thread.
> >>
> >> => Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To
> >> start
> >> IE7 in No Add-ons mode:
> >>
> >> 1. Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
> >> Add-ons; or
> >>
> >> 2. Start | (All) Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Internet
> >> Explorer
> >> (No add-ons).
> >>
> >> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
> >> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/07/25/678113.aspx
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737 <= Read before using!
> >>
> >> => Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
> >> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Windows hang when attempting to closie them
I repeat, what does your question and the Windows 2003-specific KB942843 IN
RE NTBackup have to do with IE7 running in WinXP SP3 and hanging?

You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

NB: If the hangs persist, STOP HERE and reply to this post (full quote)!
=============================
3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
~PA Bear

Pretender wrote:

<paste>
> WinXP SP3 was first.
> Event viewer. Error. Hangup. Microsoft explanation

</paste>