Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

how do i remove downloaded program files in ie7 with Vista?

microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2008
Just my 2 cents
 

Posts: n/a
how do i remove downloaded program files in ie7 with Vista?
I have Vista Ultimate and IE7 on my system. IE7 reports unknown and damaged
files under the downloaded program files objects. In IE6 I could remove
files like this by right-clicking and pressing REMOVE. This does nothing in
IE7 even though there is a REMOVE option available. Am I missing something
or did microsoft turn this feature off and forget to turn it back on in IE7
under Vista? I have an XPProSP3 machine with IE7 on don't have this problem.
Please advise and solve. Thank you.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2008
Just my 2 cents
 

Posts: n/a
ClarifyRE: how do i remove downloaded program files in ie7 with Vi


"Just my 2 cents" wrote:

> I have Vista Ultimate and IE7 on my system. IE7 reports unknown and damaged
> files under the downloaded program files objects. In IE6 I could remove
> files like this by right-clicking and pressing REMOVE. This does nothing in
> IE7 even though there is a REMOVE option available. Am I missing something
> or did microsoft turn this feature off and forget to turn it back on in IE7
> under Vista? I have an XPProSP3 machine with IE7 on don't have this problem.
> Please advise and solve. Thank you.


<b>Correction and clarification of issue:</b>
For clarification I am going into InternetExplorer/Tools/Internet
Options/Browing History Settings/View Objects to find the damaged and unknown
downloaded program files, then right-clicking on each one separately where I
do not have the option to remove, but rather a "properties" option. If I
have the item highlighted and click the Organize Button on the toolbar (VISTA
only), then there is a DELETE option that does not work. On XP, when get to
the right-click part there is an option for Properties as well as for REMOME.
It appears Microsoft removed the REMOVE option and the Delete option does
not work. Help is appreciated to remove these unknown and damaged items.
One of them is the Dell System Profiler which I would like to remove and
reinstall. The other seems to be related to Adobe Flash, but is pointing to
the macromedia website as the downloader. Thank you for your time.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2008
Donald Anadell
 

Posts: n/a
Re: ClarifyRE: how do i remove downloaded program files in ie7 with Vi

"Just my 2 cents" <Justmy2cents@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C0A229FB-0DDB-411C-A5D6-210610DB5325@microsoft.com...
>
>
> "Just my 2 cents" wrote:
>
>> I have Vista Ultimate and IE7 on my system. IE7 reports unknown and
>> damaged
>> files under the downloaded program files objects. In IE6 I could remove
>> files like this by right-clicking and pressing REMOVE. This does nothing
>> in
>> IE7 even though there is a REMOVE option available. Am I missing
>> something
>> or did microsoft turn this feature off and forget to turn it back on in
>> IE7
>> under Vista? I have an XPProSP3 machine with IE7 on don't have this
>> problem.
>> Please advise and solve. Thank you.

>
> <b>Correction and clarification of issue:</b>
> For clarification I am going into InternetExplorer/Tools/Internet
> Options/Browing History Settings/View Objects to find the damaged and
> unknown
> downloaded program files, then right-clicking on each one separately where
> I
> do not have the option to remove, but rather a "properties" option. If I
> have the item highlighted and click the Organize Button on the toolbar
> (VISTA
> only), then there is a DELETE option that does not work.


I don't use Vista here but seems I do remember reading that the
functionality you describe in Internet Options was removed in Vista. In
Vista you have to use Manage Add-ons to delete those items.

Alternately, you should be able to use Windows Explorer and navigate to the
"Downloaded Program Files" folder. Right-click on that Folder and choose
Properties from the context menu and then remove the Read Only attribute
from the folder. You should then be able to delete files in that folder.
After you've deleted the files then return the Folder to a Read Only state.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> On XP, when get to
> the right-click part there is an option for Properties as well as for
> REMOME.
> It appears Microsoft removed the REMOVE option and the Delete option does
> not work. Help is appreciated to remove these unknown and damaged items.
> One of them is the Dell System Profiler which I would like to remove and
> reinstall. The other seems to be related to Adobe Flash, but is pointing
> to
> the macromedia website as the downloader. Thank you for your time.
>



Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 12-09-2008
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: ClarifyRE: how do i remove downloaded program files in ie7 with Vi
Just my 2 cents wrote:
>> I have Vista Ultimate and IE7 on my system. IE7 reports unknown and
>> damaged files under the downloaded program files objects. In IE6 I could
>> remove files like this by right-clicking and pressing REMOVE. This does
>> nothing in IE7 even though there is a REMOVE option available. Am I
>> missing something or did microsoft turn this feature off and forget to
>> turn it back on in IE7 under Vista? I have an XPProSP3 machine with IE7
>> on don't have this problem. Please advise and solve. Thank you.

>
> <b>Correction and clarification of issue:</b>
> For clarification I am going into InternetExplorer/Tools/Internet
> Options/Browing History Settings/View Objects to find the damaged and
> unknown downloaded program files, then right-clicking on each one
> separately where I do not have the option to remove, but rather a
> "properties" option. If I have the item highlighted and click the
> Organize
> Button on the toolbar (VISTA only), then there is a DELETE option that
> does
> not work. On XP, when get to the right-click part there is an option for
> Properties as well as for REMOME. It appears Microsoft removed the REMOVE
> option and the Delete option does not work. Help is appreciated to remove
> these unknown and damaged items. One of them is the Dell System Profiler
> which I would like to remove and reinstall. The other seems to be related
> to Adobe Flash, but is pointing to the macromedia website as the
> downloader. Thank you for your time.


[BBCode doesn't work here.]

If the files in question are Add-ons, you may be able to Delete them via IE
Tools | Manage add-ons | Enable or Disable add-ons.

If the files in question are Flash (SWF) files, which version of Flash is
installed?

If the files in question are only seen in ...View Objects, Delete your
Temporary Internet Files.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Program to remove WindowsUpdate Uninstall files from WinSxS folder gscott260 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 1 01-08-2010 14:15
Effacer les fichiers de " Downloaded program files" mimy971 microsoft.public.fr.windows.vista.general 1 08-26-2008 18:50
Vista blocks access to downloaded program files GO microsoft.public.windows.vista.security 4 11-30-2007 22:08
Can't delete Downloaded Program File using Vista =?Utf-8?B?RXhjZWxveA==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 0 02-22-2007 21:19




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:15.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120