E 7 NOT clearing all temp internet files as it claims to?

Puzzled Guy

E 7 NOT clearing all temp internet files as it claims to?
We have Windows Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 7 and Windows Vista Home
Premium preloaded on our laptop.
It does NOT delete all temporary files etc -even if you select that option -
as in what I have copied here from the Help page on deleting all information
i.e.:-

To delete all information
Click to open Internet Explorer.
Click the Tools button, and then click Delete Browsing History.
Click Delete all, and then click Yes

...........But even if you tick the box to delete all stored passwords and
add ons etc.,
what are left behind in our temporary internet files folder, after
apparently deleting everything else via IE7 tools options etc., are always 4
cookies with our Username.
i.e.:-
Cookie:xxxxxx@msn.com/ Cookie:xxxxxx@live.com/
Cookie:xxxxx@windowsmarketplace.com/ and Cookie:xxxxxx@zune.net/

We have to delete these manually instead from the actual Temporary Internet
Files folder, after clicking View Files in the Delete information options
dialogue.

Could someone please explain why this is? After all, the IE 7 delete
history/cookies/temp files information dialogue leads one to believe that
this operation should entirely delete ALL browsing and internet files history
and add ons and cookies and temporary internet files etc .

???????

Thanks

Daniel Crichton

Re: E 7 NOT clearing all temp internet files as it claims to?
Puzzled wrote on Mon, 8 Dec 2008 23:35:01 -0800:

> We have Windows Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 7 and Windows Vista
> Premium preloaded on our laptop.
> It does NOT delete all temporary files etc -even if you select that
> option -
> as in what I have copied here from the Help page on deleting all
> information
> i.e.:-

> To delete all information
> Click to open Internet Explorer.
> Click the Tools button, and then click Delete Browsing History.
> Click Delete all, and then click Yes

> ..........But even if you tick the box to delete all stored passwords
> and add ons etc., what are left behind in our temporary internet
> files folder, after apparently deleting everything else via IE7 tools
> options etc., are always 4 cookies with our Username.
> i.e.:-
> Cookie:xxxxxx@msn.com/ Cookie:xxxxxx@live.com/
> Cookie:xxxxx@windowsmarketplace.com/ and Cookie:xxxxxx@zune.net/

> We have to delete these manually instead from the actual Temporary
> Internet
> Files folder, after clicking View Files in the Delete information
> options dialogue.

> Could someone please explain why this is? After all, the IE 7 delete
> history/cookies/temp files information dialogue leads one to believe
> that this operation should entirely delete ALL browsing and internet
> files history and add ons and cookies and temporary internet files etc
> .

> ???????

> Thanks

Are you by any chance running MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger, or
the Zune music software from Microsoft? These will also use the IE TIF
folder as they deliver adverts via HTTP using part of IE, and so these may
well be generated by one or more of those other applications running.

--
Dan

Puzzled Guy

Re: IE 7 NOT clearing all temp internet files as it claims to?
I do have MSN Messenger installed but I very rarely run/use it, whilst I do
not use the Zune software at all, as I use Windows Media Player version
11.0.6001.7000, so I don't think that these are the culprits, surely? And I
never visit the sites associated with the cookies, either.
Maybe these cookies appear when I use my Vista Windows Mail email program?
But in any case surely any such cookies should not survive the IE7 global
temp files deletion process??

"Daniel Crichton" wrote:

> Puzzled wrote on Mon, 8 Dec 2008 23:35:01 -0800:
>
> > We have Windows Microsoft Internet Explorer Version 7 and Windows Vista
> > Premium preloaded on our laptop.
> > It does NOT delete all temporary files etc -even if you select that
> > option -
> > as in what I have copied here from the Help page on deleting all
> > information
> > i.e.:-

> > To delete all information
> > Click to open Internet Explorer.
> > Click the Tools button, and then click Delete Browsing History.
> > Click Delete all, and then click Yes

> > ..........But even if you tick the box to delete all stored passwords
> > and add ons etc., what are left behind in our temporary internet
> > files folder, after apparently deleting everything else via IE7 tools
> > options etc., are always 4 cookies with our Username.
> > i.e.:-
> > Cookie:xxxxxx@msn.com/ Cookie:xxxxxx@live.com/
> > Cookie:xxxxx@windowsmarketplace.com/ and Cookie:xxxxxx@zune.net/

> > We have to delete these manually instead from the actual Temporary
> > Internet
> > Files folder, after clicking View Files in the Delete information
> > options dialogue.

> > Could someone please explain why this is? After all, the IE 7 delete
> > history/cookies/temp files information dialogue leads one to believe
> > that this operation should entirely delete ALL browsing and internet
> > files history and add ons and cookies and temporary internet files etc
> > .

> > ???????

> > Thanks

> Are you by any chance running MSN Messenger or Windows Live Messenger, or
> the Zune music software from Microsoft? These will also use the IE TIF
> folder as they deliver adverts via HTTP using part of IE, and so these may
> well be generated by one or more of those other applications running.
>
> --
> Dan

Robert Aldwinckle

"Puzzled Guy" <PuzzledGuy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6029A303-0962-459C-AECE-5392BD4D60B4@microsoft.com...
>I do have MSN Messenger installed but I very rarely run/use it, whilst I do
> not use the Zune software at all, as I use Windows Media Player version
> 11.0.6001.7000, so I don't think that these are the culprits, surely?

> And I never visit the sites associated with the cookies, either.

The pages you do visit might include files and images
which come with their own Cookies.

> Maybe these cookies appear when I use my Vista Windows Mail email program?

Perhaps. Are you using its login by Live ID feature?

> But in any case surely any such cookies should not survive the IE7 global
> temp files deletion process??

In the same way that Daniel was imagining the TIF being open by other
apps, the Cookie folder might be locked by another app.
You could use Process Explorer to check. (E.g. use its Find command
to check for Cookies.) Wow. I didn't think that many apps would have
handles open to it. I guess you should try closing as many apps as possible
before you try clearing Cookies too. Who knew? ; )

BTW explorer.exe is one of the apps which shows up in that list.
Presumably it at least could be left running when you use the
Internet Options tool but if not you could use Task Manager
to kill it too if necessary. To avoid having iexplore.exe running
at the same time too you could Run... (or use File, New task in TM)

control inetcpl.cpl

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---