IE7 question

Pflueger

IE7 question
Why would IE7 continue to take up 98% of my CPU even after I have closed IE7
for a good while? Then after I disconnected from the internet, it continued
to take up 98% until I killed the process.

Also, what can I do about it? TIA

pflu

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 question
Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Pflueger wrote:
> Why would IE7 continue to take up 98% of my CPU even after I have closed IE7
> for a good while? Then after I disconnected from the internet, it continued
> to take up 98% until I killed the process.
>
> Also, what can I do about it? TIA
>
> pflu

Pflueger

Re: IE7 question
I use lots of up-to-date malware scanners, anti-virus, and firewall. If it
sounds like a malware issue to you I will run a few scans. Thanks.

> Malicious software ("malware") could be installed on your computer.
>
> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>
> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like driving
> a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're eventually going
> to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware software and learn how
> to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution scans for all types of
> malicious software in the background, on demand and on schedule.
>
> For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
> scanners, such as:
> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>
> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and post
> the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not here.
> Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
> expert.
>
> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to show
> the computer to a professional.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Pflueger wrote:
>> Why would IE7 continue to take up 98% of my CPU even after I have closed
>> IE7 for a good while? Then after I disconnected from the internet, it
>> continued to take up 98% until I killed the process.
>>
>> Also, what can I do about it? TIA
>>
>> pflu

Re: IE7 question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Pflueger wrote:
> Why would IE7 continue to take up 98% of my CPU even after I have closed
> IE7
> for a good while? Then after I disconnected from the internet, it
> continued
> to take up 98% until I killed the process.
>
> Also, what can I do about it? TIA
>
> pflu

SP 3 Question Peter microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 05-15-2008 15:43
Question of the day Paul Security News 0 04-18-2007 11:04
vista genral question and ultimate question =?Utf-8?B?cGVkcm8gZw==?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 7 03-01-2007 12:06
One more question.. Bucko21 microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 2 03-01-2007 03:50
Dual boot system question and family deal discount question =?Utf-8?B?QmV0YXRlc3Rlcnp6?= microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 4 03-01-2007 03:42