IE7 freezes

Barry

IE7 freezes
Hi All
I have a laptop running Vista and IE 7 s0metimes when I click on a link
with some websites, IE7 completely freezes and the page goes light grey
(like vista does when you try to change something and a security windows
comes up)and it says not responding on the blue top bar.

I know the links I am using and they do work on another PC (I wrote the
website!).

I cannot see anywhere to remove/repair IE7.

Can anyone help please?
Barry

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 freezes
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Barry wrote:
> Hi All
> I have a laptop running Vista and IE 7 s0metimes when I click on a link
> with some websites, IE7 completely freezes and the page goes light grey
> (like vista does when you try to change something and a security windows
> comes up)and it says not responding on the blue top bar.
>
> I know the links I am using and they do work on another PC (I wrote the
> website!).
>
> I cannot see anywhere to remove/repair IE7.
>
> Can anyone help please?
> Barry

Barry

Re: IE7 freezes
HI Leonard
Thank you for your response.
Running IE without add on seems to work okay,
It does seem to be possibly, one of the tools bars that have been added,
with Windows Live Tools disabled, it seemed to work for a time, but
could it be something else?

I ran SPYbot etc but nothing found.

Regards
Barry

Leonard Grey wrote:
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Barry wrote:
>> Hi All
>> I have a laptop running Vista and IE 7 s0metimes when I click on a
>> link with some websites, IE7 completely freezes and the page goes
>> light grey (like vista does when you try to change something and a
>> security windows comes up)and it says not responding on the blue top bar.
>>
>> I know the links I am using and they do work on another PC (I wrote
>> the website!).
>>
>> I cannot see anywhere to remove/repair IE7.
>>
>> Can anyone help please?
>> Barry

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 freezes
Use the Manage Add-ons tool to determine which add-on is causing the
problem:

1- Control Panel > Internet Options > Programs tab > 'Manage add-ons'
button > 'Manage Add-ons' window.

2- In the Show box, select 'Add-ons that have been used by Internet
Explorer' to display all add-ons that are installed on the computer. For
each item in this list, select the add-on, and then click Disable under
Settings. When you have disabled all the items in this list, click OK.

3- Start Internet Explorer 7. Go to Tools > point to Manage Add-ons >
click Enable or Disable Add-ons. Now enable a single add-on, then exit
and restart Internet Explorer 7 to see if it works properly. Repeat
until you determine which add-on causes the problem to occur.

Once you've located the troublemaking add-on(s) ask the vendor's
technical support for help.

---