Giving Up on IE7

fvultee

Giving Up on IE7
It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox and
have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up on
IE:

1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no right
click context menus anymore, I was irritated.

2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring through
all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to an
ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine for
every site so far.

Sad sad...

Leonard Grey

Re: Giving Up on IE7
So, did you have a question for your fellow Internet Explorer users?
Because that's what this newsgroup is about: users helping other users
with their questions about Internet Explorer. There are better places to
moan and rant.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

fvultee wrote:
> It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox and
> have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up on
> IE:
>
> 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
> When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
> work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no right
> click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
>
> 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring through
> all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to an
> ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine for
> every site so far.
>
> Sad sad...

fvultee

Re: Giving Up on IE7
Incorrect. When you post in this forum titled "Internet Explorer General"
you can select "comment" or "question". Clearly I did not select "question",
instead made a "comment". Perhaps you didn't notice when you made your
posted reply to my "moan and rant".

On another note, how pretentious of you to quote Latin in your reply. You
seem quite scholarly, ahem, not.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> So, did you have a question for your fellow Internet Explorer users?
> Because that's what this newsgroup is about: users helping other users
> with their questions about Internet Explorer. There are better places to
> moan and rant.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> fvultee wrote:
> > It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox and
> > have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up on
> > IE:
> >
> > 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
> > When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
> > work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no right
> > click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
> >
> > 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring through
> > all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to an
> > ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine for
> > every site so far.
> >
> > Sad sad...

Leonard Grey

Re: Giving Up on IE7
In fact, this is a public newsgroup. When you view it through a web
interface, any features of the web interface are part of the interface,
not the newsgroup.
---

fvultee wrote:
> Incorrect. When you post in this forum titled "Internet Explorer General"
> you can select "comment" or "question". Clearly I did not select "question",
> instead made a "comment". Perhaps you didn't notice when you made your
> posted reply to my "moan and rant".
>
> On another note, how pretentious of you to quote Latin in your reply. You
> seem quite scholarly, ahem, not.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> So, did you have a question for your fellow Internet Explorer users?
>> Because that's what this newsgroup is about: users helping other users
>> with their questions about Internet Explorer. There are better places to
>> moan and rant.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> fvultee wrote:
>>> It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox and
>>> have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up on
>>> IE:
>>>
>>> 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
>>> When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
>>> work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no right
>>> click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
>>>
>>> 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring through
>>> all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to an
>>> ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine for
>>> every site so far.
>>>
>>> Sad sad...

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: Giving Up on IE7
Those buttons are meaningless, the only sorta work on the clunky web
interface to this newsgroup, which is actually nntp Usenet that you are
seeing a poor rendition of. Use OE or WLM to access Usenet.

FTP works in IE7 you just have to push one more button and then log
in...works fine I use it all the time.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"fvultee" <fvultee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Incorrect. When you post in this forum titled "Internet Explorer General"
> you can select "comment" or "question". Clearly I did not select
> "question",
> instead made a "comment". Perhaps you didn't notice when you made your
> posted reply to my "moan and rant".
>
> On another note, how pretentious of you to quote Latin in your reply. You
> seem quite scholarly, ahem, not.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> So, did you have a question for your fellow Internet Explorer users?
>> Because that's what this newsgroup is about: users helping other users
>> with their questions about Internet Explorer. There are better places to
>> moan and rant.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> fvultee wrote:
>> > It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed
>> > FireFox and
>> > have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving
>> > up on
>> > IE:
>> >
>> > 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
>> > When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS
>> > didn't
>> > work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no
>> > right
>> > click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
>> >
>> > 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring
>> > through
>> > all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect
>> > to an
>> > ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine
>> > for
>> > every site so far.
>> >
>> > Sad sad...

Re: Giving Up on IE7
posting to this newsgroup.

A1. The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop (Revised 22
Nov-08)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/

A2. What solutions have you tried?

How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
[ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

fvultee wrote:
> It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox
> and
> have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up
> on
> IE:
>
> 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
> When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
> work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no
> right
> click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
>
> 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring
> through
> all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to
> an ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine
> for every site so far.
>
> Sad sad...

fvultee

Re: Giving Up on IE7
Hello PA Bear,

I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I've tried the solutions in that
link you provided below, and those include making my own regfile an importing
the data, running the automatic fix on that page by running the .msi, etc. I
am using the classic start menu, however the fix doesn't make the IE desktop
icon appear in either start menu configurations. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

fvulteeAThotmailDOTcom

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
>
> A1. The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop (Revised 22
> Nov-08)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/
>
> A2. What solutions have you tried?
>
> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> fvultee wrote:
> > It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox
> > and
> > have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up
> > on
> > IE:
> >
> > 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
> > When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS didn't
> > work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no
> > right
> > click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
> >
> > 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring
> > through
> > all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect to
> > an ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just fine
> > for every site so far.
> >
> > Sad sad...

Re: Giving Up on IE7
Try the REG file on this page:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

NB: Log-on as Administrator before attempting to merge the file with your
Registry.

Given the issues you've described so far, you might have other and worse
issues to deal with, however.

fvultee wrote:
> Hello PA Bear,
>
> I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I've tried the solutions in that
> link you provided below, and those include making my own regfile an
> importing the data, running the automatic fix on that page by running the
> .msi, etc. I am using the classic start menu, however the fix doesn't
> make
> the IE desktop icon appear in either start menu configurations. Any
> ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> A1. The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop (Revised 22
>> Nov-08)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/
>>
>> A2. What solutions have you tried?
>>
>> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
>> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> fvultee wrote:
>>> It's a sad day, as I'm giving up on IE7. I've already installed FireFox
>>> and
>>> have to say it's been pretty seamless so far. Two reasons I'm giving up
>>> on
>>> IE:
>>>
>>> 1. When the IE icon disappeared from the desktop, that really irked me.
>>> When the registry patches didn't work, and the special .msi from MS
>>> didn't
>>> work, and I had to stare at a shortcut to the original .exe and had no
>>> right
>>> click context menus anymore, I was irritated.
>>>
>>> 2. Now FTP doesn't work in IE7. It used to work, and after pouring
>>> through
>>> all the "solutions" in this forum, nothing works. I can't even connect
>>> an ftp server on my LAN through IE nor Explorer. FireFox works just
>>> fine
>>> for every site so far.
>>>
>>> Sad sad...

fvultee

Re: Giving Up on IE7
Well, I merged that .reg file with administrator rights and it made no
difference either. It seems no matter which reg patch I apply, the icon
won't reappear. I have verified that those keys are already in the registry
as well. As for the "other problems", aside from some minor things here and
there my Vista Home Premium is rock solid. No crashes (aside from when I
play a specific game), no freezes, no random reboots, no bluescreen. All in
all, very positive, but this icon thing is irking me.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Try the REG file on this page:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html
>
> NB: Log-on as Administrator before attempting to merge the file with your
> Registry.
>
> Given the issues you've described so far, you might have other and worse
> issues to deal with, however.
>
> fvultee wrote:
> > Hello PA Bear,
> >
> > I have Windows Vista Home Premium SP1. I've tried the solutions in that
> > link you provided below, and those include making my own regfile an
> > importing the data, running the automatic fix on that page by running the
> > .msi, etc. I am using the classic start menu, however the fix doesn't
> > make
> > the IE desktop icon appear in either start menu configurations. Any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >>
> >> A1. The Internet Explorer icon is missing from your desktop (Revised 22
> >> Nov-08)
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945402/
> >>
> >> A2. What solutions have you tried?
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot network connectivity problems in Internet Explorer
> >> [ignore APPLIES TO section if you're not running Vista or IE7]
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936211
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Giving Up on IE7
I dunno about that. The fact that FTP is no longer working is fairly
indicative of "other problems."