IE Crashing

Alastair MacFarlane

IE Crashing
Dear All,

My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me no
advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address when I
open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my version of
IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens. Probably more
regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping only a couple of
safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a safe date but I
still have the same issues.

Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?

Thanks again.

Alastair

Leonard Grey

Re: IE Crashing
Installing unfinished software intended for testing by developers is not
a way to solve your problem, Alastair.

The first thing you need to do is to uninstall the beta software, by
carefully following these instructions:

"How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

The above returns you to Internet Explorer 7. Now you can follow these
troubleshooting procedures:

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me
> no advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address
> when I open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my
> version of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens.
> Probably more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping
> only a couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a
> safe date but I still have the same issues.
>
> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Alastair

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: IE Crashing
rhetorical question; why in the world do people think IE8 BETA 2 is an
upgrade??

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> Installing unfinished software intended for testing by developers is not a
> way to solve your problem, Alastair.
>
> The first thing you need to do is to uninstall the beta software, by
> carefully following these instructions:
>
> "How to uninstall Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2"
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> The above returns you to Internet Explorer 7. Now you can follow these
> troubleshooting procedures:
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box
> > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one of
> the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me no
>> advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address when I
>> open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my version
>> of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens. Probably
>> more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping only a
>> couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a safe
>> date but I still have the same issues.
>>
>> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Alastair

Re: IE Crashing
1. Uninstall IE8 Beta 2.

2. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me no
> advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address when I
> open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my version
> of
> IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens. Probably
> more
> regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping only a couple of
> safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a safe date but I
> still have the same issues.
>
> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Alastair

Alastair MacFarlane

Re: IE Crashing
Dear All,

I feel that you are being a bit harsh here. If you have an issue with any
version IE and you have apparently not got an idea how to solve it, is it
not natural to look at a more recent version to solve your problem. It is
immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not. An increased version
number may solve an issue that a user is experiencing.

I would also like to say thanks for the links and I will follow the
procedure.

Alastair MacFarlane

"Alastair MacFarlane" <Newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Dear All,
>
> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me no
> advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address when I
> open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my version
> of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens. Probably
> more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping only a
> couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a safe
> date but I still have the same issues.
>
> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>
> Thanks again.
>
> Alastair

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: IE Crashing
> Dear All,
>
> I feel that you are being a bit harsh here. If you have an issue with any
> version IE and you have apparently not got an idea how to solve it, is it
> not natural to look at a more recent version to solve your problem. It is
> immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not. An increased version
> number may solve an issue that a user is experiencing.
>
> I would also like to say thanks for the links and I will follow the
> procedure.
>
> Alastair MacFarlane
>
> "Alastair MacFarlane" <Newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dear All,
>>
>> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me no
>> advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address when I
>> open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my version
>> of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens. Probably
>> more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping only a
>> couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a safe
>> date but I still have the same issues.
>>
>> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Alastair

What if you go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools |
Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Leonard Grey

Re: IE Crashing
No, it's not natural and should not be natural. And if you think "It is
immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not" you have a lot to
learn, my friend, and I'm afraid you're going to learn the hard way.
---

Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I feel that you are being a bit harsh here. If you have an issue with
> any version IE and you have apparently not got an idea how to solve it,
> is it not natural to look at a more recent version to solve your
> problem. It is immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not. An
> increased version number may solve an issue that a user is experiencing.
>
> I would also like to say thanks for the links and I will follow the
> procedure.
>
> Alastair MacFarlane
>
> "Alastair MacFarlane" <Newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Dear All,
>>
>> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me
>> no advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address
>> when I open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading
>> my version of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still
>> happens. Probably more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the
>> add-ins keeping only a couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously
>> restored my pc to a safe date but I still have the same issues.
>>
>> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Alastair

Alastair MacFarlane

Re: IE Crashing
Leonard,

If you are going to disagree with what I say, I think it is important that
you expand on WHY you think I am wrong. I don't think it is enough to repeat
what others have said.

I am not saying that you are wrong but if you are going to verse an opinion
I think it is important for me and possibly others that you say why I am
wrong.

Thanks.

Alastair

> No, it's not natural and should not be natural. And if you think "It is
> immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not" you have a lot to learn,
> my friend, and I'm afraid you're going to learn the hard way.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
>> Dear All,
>>
>> I feel that you are being a bit harsh here. If you have an issue with any
>> version IE and you have apparently not got an idea how to solve it, is it
>> not natural to look at a more recent version to solve your problem. It is
>> immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not. An increased version
>> number may solve an issue that a user is experiencing.
>>
>> I would also like to say thanks for the links and I will follow the
>> procedure.
>>
>> Alastair MacFarlane
>>
>> "Alastair MacFarlane" <Newsgroups@microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> My Internet Explorer 7 regulalrly crashes without warning and gives me
>>> no advise as to the nature of the error other than a spurious address
>>> when I open up the error in a debugging software. I thought upgrading my
>>> version of IE to 8.0.6 Beta would fix this problem but it still happens.
>>> Probably more regulalry. I have disabled nearly all the add-ins keeping
>>> only a couple of safe browsing add-ins. I previously restored my pc to a
>>> safe date but I still have the same issues.
>>>
>>> Can someone please point me in another direction to solve this problem?
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> Alastair

Alastair MacFarlane

Re: IE Crashing
Dear All,

I would also add that reversing my version back to 7 and running IE without
add-ons still crashes regulalrly.

Would a fresh IE7 reinstall be an option?

Thanks again.

Alastair

> Leonard,
>
> If you are going to disagree with what I say, I think it is important that
> you expand on WHY you think I am wrong. I don't think it is enough to
> repeat what others have said.
>
> I am not saying that you are wrong but if you are going to verse an
> opinion I think it is important for me and possibly others that you say
> why I am wrong.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alastair

>> No, it's not natural and should not be natural. And if you think "It is
>> immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not" you have a lot to
>> learn, my friend, and I'm afraid you're going to learn the hard way.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Alastair MacFarlane wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I feel that you are being a bit harsh here. If you have an issue with
>>> any version IE and you have apparently not got an idea how to solve it,
>>> is it not natural to look at a more recent version to solve your
>>> problem. It is immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not. An
>>> increased version number may solve an issue that a user is experiencing.
>>>
>>> I would also like to say thanks for the links and I will follow the
>>> procedure.
>>>
>>> Alastair MacFarlane

Re: IE Crashing
> It is immaterial whether that is a Beta version or not.

Hardly. One should expect and be prepared for IE8 Beta 2 to crash, that's
part of beta testing.