Automatic launching of other websites

Auto launching of IE

Automatic launching of other websites
I've run into this before and can't for the life of me remember how I fixed
it. This weekend something happened and now everytime I open IE, I get other
IE sessions launched to totally offbeat websites. I have pop-ups blocked but
can't figure out how I am getting this automatic launching. Do I need to
delete IE and reinstall? If so, how do I do this?
Leonard Grey

Re: Automatic launching of other websites
You need to learn ways to keep your computer from becoming infected.

For now, make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then
download the latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Auto launching of IE wrote:
> I've run into this before and can't for the life of me remember how I fixed
> it. This weekend something happened and now everytime I open IE, I get other
> IE sessions launched to totally offbeat websites. I have pop-ups blocked but
> can't figure out how I am getting this automatic launching. Do I need to
> delete IE and reinstall? If so, how do I do this?

Re: Automatic launching of other websites
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

Windows is infected, not IE. Doing a format & reinstall of Windows may
resolve the behavior if the machine's not on a network and does not connect
via a router. Otherwise...

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm