IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista

josephr38@hotmail.com

IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista Ultimate
installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites, like
www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites like eBay,
Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage, but after
that I receive a HTTP 400 error. This mostly happens when I click on links
on those and more sites.

I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than I
do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete all
IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed Flash
and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload Vista
(wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the PC to the
state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out all of my
installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).

There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to re-install
Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.

Thanks,
Joseph
Kayman

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:00:02 -0800, josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:

> I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista Ultimate
> installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites, like
> www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites like eBay,
> Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage, but after
> that I receive a HTTP 400 error. This mostly happens when I click on links
> on those and more sites.
>
> I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
> however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than I
> do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete all
> IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed Flash
> and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload Vista
> (wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the PC to the
> state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out all of my
> installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).
>
> There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to re-install
> Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck
josephr38@hotmail.com

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
Yeah, thanks for the links, however, I am unable to surf those links on my
Vista machine at home because I get HTTP 400 errors in IE7 when I go to the
Microsoft support sites.

"Kayman" wrote:

> On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 05:00:02 -0800, josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> > I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista Ultimate
> > installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites, like
> > www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites like eBay,
> > Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage, but after
> > that I receive a HTTP 400 error. This mostly happens when I click on links
> > on those and more sites.
> >
> > I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
> > however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than I
> > do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete all
> > IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed Flash
> > and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload Vista
> > (wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the PC to the
> > state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out all of my
> > installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).
> >
> > There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to re-install
> > Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.

> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
>
> How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
> Read: "What you must know"
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
> Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista
>
> Good luck

Kayman

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 06:40:00 -0800, josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:

> Yeah, thanks for the links, however, I am unable to surf those links on my
> Vista machine at home because I get HTTP 400 errors in IE7 when I go to the
> Microsoft support sites.

In IE7, click 'Tools', click 'Internet Options', click 'Programs' tab,
click 'Manage add-ons' button.
In Show: select in the drop-down menu 'Add-ons currently loaded in Internet
Explorer'. Then Disable all add-ons listed. Exit and the open IE7.
Now try browsing (accessing websites).

Not successful?

Try this:
In Internet Options, click 'Advanced' tab, click 'Reset...' button.

Good luck

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
What third-party firewall (if any)?

Is Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched at Windows
Update?

Is the machine still under warranty or service contract?

If you do a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737), does the
behavior persist?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:
> I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista
> Ultimate
> installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites,
> like www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites
> like
> eBay, Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage,
> but after that I receive a HTTP 400 error. This mostly happens when I
> click on links on those and more sites.
>
> I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
> however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than
> do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete
> all IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed
> Flash and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload
> Vista (wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the
> PC to the state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out
> all of my installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).
>
> There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to
> re-install
> Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.
>
> Thanks,
> Joseph

josephr38@hotmail.com

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
I have tried everything that Kayman suggested and nothing has worked. I am
still receiving HTTP 400 errors.

As to PA BEars questions:

I am running Trend-Micro Anti-virus and Anti-Spyware; subscription is
current and updating nightly. I use Trend, Defender, and Ad-aware for
spyware. I am using the same D-Link hardware firewall that I used with my XP
machine. I never had a problem like this with IE previously so I know that
it probably isn't the firewall.

Automatic updates are enabled and the PC is fully patched.

The PC is about a month old and is still under warranty.

I performed a reset last night and still received HTTP 400 errors. I ran IE
without add-ons and received HTTP 400 and 500 errors.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> What third-party firewall (if any)?
>
> Is Automatic Updates enabled and is the machine fully patched at Windows
> Update?
>
> Is the machine still under warranty or service contract?
>
> If you do a Reset (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737), does the
> behavior persist?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> josephr38@hotmail.com wrote:
> > I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista
> > Ultimate
> > installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites,
> > like www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites
> > like
> > eBay, Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage,
> > but after that I receive a HTTP 400 error. This mostly happens when I
> > click on links on those and more sites.
> >
> > I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
> > however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than
> > do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete
> > all IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed
> > Flash and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload
> > Vista (wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the
> > PC to the state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out
> > all of my installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).
> >
> > There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to
> > re-install
> > Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Joseph

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista

"josephr38@hotmail.com" <josephr38hotmailcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just bought a maxed out Dell XPS 420 PC. The PC came with Vista Ultimate
> installed. Everything works except Internet Explorer 7. Some websites, like
> www.bankofamerica.com I have no problems going to; however, sites like eBay,
> Apple, Dell, CNN, and Microsoft I can go to their initial webpage, but after
> that I receive a HTTP 400 error.

> This mostly happens when I click on links on those and more sites.

Are such links supported by scripting?
See what happens if you disable Active Scripting.

> I have called Dell support and we have attempted to resolve the issue,
> however, as impossible as it sounds, they know even less about Vista than I
> do, and I do not know much about Vista. Nevertheless, they had me delete all
> IE temp files, history and cache files - no success. We re-installed Flash
> and Java - no joy. Their remaining suggestion is to either reload Vista
> (wiping out all of my installed programs and data) or returning the PC to the
> state that it was in before I took it out of the box (wiping out all of my
> installed programs and data as well as not resolving the issue).
>
> There has got to be a way to resolve this issue without having to re-install
> Vista. Please let me know if you have a solution or any ideas for this.

It would help to know what the request that you are sending is.
You could use Fiddler2 to capture it.

FYI the HTTP 400 means that your request is bad for some reason.
It's like an HTTP 404 but usually means that some other header
is not to the server's liking. One common cause is sending explicit HTTP 1.0
requests when the server is expecting HTTP 1.1 only.

> Thanks,
> Joseph

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: IE7 HTTP 400 on Vista
Did a free-trial of a Norton or McAfee application come preinstalled on the
machine?

>>> Joseph