listening to a radio program on the internet

Jo-Anne

listening to a radio program on the internet
I've never listened to anything other than status sounds on my new notebook
computer, but now I'd like to listen to a particular radio program that's
available on the internet. My computer runs WinXP SP3. When I clicked on the
listen icon for the radio program, I got the opening screen for Windows
Media Player 9 Series, which wants to install itself as the default player.
Questions about the installation:

* Should I go ahead and install this player as the default, or are there
better players?

* There are some "privacy" options already checked under "enhanced playback
experience": retrieve media info from the internet, update music files by
retrieving missing info from the internet, and acquire licenses
automatically for protected content. Should I uncheck any of them?

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

Leonard Grey

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
No one can tell you whether a given player is better than WMP since you
haven't told us what you are looking for in a media player.

The privacy options are fully explained in the program. Only you can
decide what you are comfortable with.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Jo-Anne wrote:
> I've never listened to anything other than status sounds on my new notebook
> computer, but now I'd like to listen to a particular radio program that's
> available on the internet. My computer runs WinXP SP3. When I clicked on the
> listen icon for the radio program, I got the opening screen for Windows
> Media Player 9 Series, which wants to install itself as the default player.
> Questions about the installation:
>
> * Should I go ahead and install this player as the default, or are there
> better players?
>
> * There are some "privacy" options already checked under "enhanced playback
> experience": retrieve media info from the internet, update music files by
> retrieving missing info from the internet, and acquire licenses
> automatically for protected content. Should I uncheck any of them?
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
Thank you, Leonard! I should have been more specific. I don't listen to
music on my laptop and don't intend to. I'm interested in radio programs
with people talking. I'd like the software to be pretty easy to use. If
Windows Media Player is fairly transparent, great! Re the privacy options, I
wondered if there were rules of thumb about what one should and shouldn't
allow. I guess it's not that important, since I can always change the
options even after the program is installed.

Jo-Anne

> No one can tell you whether a given player is better than WMP since you
> haven't told us what you are looking for in a media player.
>
> The privacy options are fully explained in the program. Only you can
> decide what you are comfortable with.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I've never listened to anything other than status sounds on my new
>> notebook computer, but now I'd like to listen to a particular radio
>> program that's available on the internet. My computer runs WinXP SP3.
>> When I clicked on the listen icon for the radio program, I got the
>> opening screen for Windows Media Player 9 Series, which wants to install
>> itself as the default player. Questions about the installation:
>>
>> * Should I go ahead and install this player as the default, or are there
>> better players?
>>
>> * There are some "privacy" options already checked under "enhanced
>> playback experience": retrieve media info from the internet, update music
>> files by retrieving missing info from the internet, and acquire licenses
>> automatically for protected content. Should I uncheck any of them?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne

Leonard Grey

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
Try WMP and decide if it's easy enough for you to use. If it's not,
you'll know what specific features to ask for next time you post.

You can also type the words media player into a Google search.

WMP player is just that: a media player. It's not a radio station. You
may find that some radio stations are easy to use and some are hard.
---

Jo-Anne wrote:
> Thank you, Leonard! I should have been more specific. I don't listen to
> music on my laptop and don't intend to. I'm interested in radio programs
> with people talking. I'd like the software to be pretty easy to use. If
> Windows Media Player is fairly transparent, great! Re the privacy options, I
> wondered if there were rules of thumb about what one should and shouldn't
> allow. I guess it's not that important, since I can always change the
> options even after the program is installed.
>
> Jo-Anne

>> No one can tell you whether a given player is better than WMP since you
>> haven't told us what you are looking for in a media player.
>>
>> The privacy options are fully explained in the program. Only you can
>> decide what you are comfortable with.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> I've never listened to anything other than status sounds on my new
>>> notebook computer, but now I'd like to listen to a particular radio
>>> program that's available on the internet. My computer runs WinXP SP3.
>>> When I clicked on the listen icon for the radio program, I got the
>>> opening screen for Windows Media Player 9 Series, which wants to install
>>> itself as the default player. Questions about the installation:
>>>
>>> * Should I go ahead and install this player as the default, or are there
>>> better players?
>>>
>>> * There are some "privacy" options already checked under "enhanced
>>> playback experience": retrieve media info from the internet, update music
>>> files by retrieving missing info from the internet, and acquire licenses
>>> automatically for protected content. Should I uncheck any of them?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
I just installed it, Leonard, and it seems to work fine. I've been listening
to the program I wanted.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne

> Try WMP and decide if it's easy enough for you to use. If it's not, you'll
> know what specific features to ask for next time you post.
>
> You can also type the words media player into a Google search.
>
> WMP player is just that: a media player. It's not a radio station. You may
> find that some radio stations are easy to use and some are hard.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> Thank you, Leonard! I should have been more specific. I don't listen to
>> music on my laptop and don't intend to. I'm interested in radio programs
>> with people talking. I'd like the software to be pretty easy to use. If
>> Windows Media Player is fairly transparent, great! Re the privacy
>> options, I wondered if there were rules of thumb about what one should
>> and shouldn't allow. I guess it's not that important, since I can always
>> change the options even after the program is installed.
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> No one can tell you whether a given player is better than WMP since you
>>> haven't told us what you are looking for in a media player.
>>>
>>> The privacy options are fully explained in the program. Only you can
>>> decide what you are comfortable with.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare Humanum Est
>>>
>>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334856,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
Glad to help. It's always fun to discover new radio stations.
---

Jo-Anne wrote:
> I just installed it, Leonard, and it seems to work fine. I've been listening
> to the program I wanted.
>
> Thank you!
>
> Jo-Anne

>> Try WMP and decide if it's easy enough for you to use. If it's not, you'll
>> know what specific features to ask for next time you post.
>>
>> You can also type the words media player into a Google search.
>>
>> WMP player is just that: a media player. It's not a radio station. You may
>> find that some radio stations are easy to use and some are hard.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Jo-Anne wrote:
>>> Thank you, Leonard! I should have been more specific. I don't listen to
>>> music on my laptop and don't intend to. I'm interested in radio programs
>>> with people talking. I'd like the software to be pretty easy to use. If
>>> Windows Media Player is fairly transparent, great! Re the privacy
>>> options, I wondered if there were rules of thumb about what one should
>>> and shouldn't allow. I guess it's not that important, since I can always
>>> change the options even after the program is installed.
>>>
>>> Jo-Anne

Jo-Anne

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
Or old ones... That is, I always listened to a particular program until my
local station dropped it and no other station in the listening area picked
it up. It's nice to be able to get it again--although it's not on the day of
broadcast.

Jo-Anne

> Glad to help. It's always fun to discover new radio stations.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Jo-Anne wrote:
>> I just installed it, Leonard, and it seems to work fine. I've been
>> listening to the program I wanted.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Jo-Anne
>>
>> "Leonard Grey" <l.grey@invalid.invalid> wrote in message
>>> Try WMP and decide if it's easy enough for you to use. If it's not,
>>> you'll know what specific features to ask for next time you post.
>>>
>>> You can also type the words media player into a Google search.
>>>
>>> WMP player is just that: a media player. It's not a radio station. You
>>> may find that some radio stations are easy to use and some are hard.
>>> ---
>>> Leonard Grey
>>> Errare Humanum Est
>>>
>>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334856,00.asp

Kayman

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:52:57 -0600, Jo-Anne wrote:

<snip>

> [...]

FYI:
Keep your operating system (and all software on it) updated/patched :-)

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1/default.aspx

Kayman wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Nov 2008 19:52:57 -0600, Jo-Anne wrote:
>
> <snip>

> FYI:
> Keep your operating system (and all software on it) updated/patched :-)
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...1/default.aspx

WMP v9 is fully supported in WinXP, Kayman.
Jo-Anne

Re: listening to a radio program on the internet
I'm up-to-date on all the Microsoft monthly updates on both computers,
Kayman, although I haven't tried to update to a later version of WMP on the
new computer. (Funny that version 9 is what was offered on that computer.)

The old computer is another story, however. Last night, after installing
WMP9 on the new computer, I clicked on the WMP shortcut on my old computer
(a 5-year-old Dell with WinXP SP3). I'd never used the program before, as
far as I know; and what came up was a screen for WMP11 that wanted me to
validate my copy of Windows. It included a Windows Genuine Advantage Privacy
Statement. I exited without doing anything. (The version on my computer
appears to be 6.)

If I click on Validate, am I then accepting the Windows Genuine Advantage
program that will monitor my computer forever? I deliberately did not
install WGA on my new WinXP Pro computer when it showed up as a
high-priority update. I don't want it on my old WinXP Home computer either.

Thank you!

Jo-Anne