Re: Untitled.bmp Filename Appears for Some Images

Karlmer

Re: Untitled.bmp Filename Appears for Some Images
I've run into this problem saving JPGs as BMPs, and tried:

1) deleting temporary internet files
2) deleting Downloaded Program Files marked as unknown/damaged
3) verifying that Do Not Save Encrypted Files To Disk was unchecked

None of this solved the problem.

I noticed that this only seems to occur when the filename of the image has a
space in the name. IE converts the space to a %20 in the URL, and the image
refuses to save as a JPG.

Here is an example: http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning 1.jpg

IE converts this to:http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning%201.jpg

Hope this helps,

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:

> "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > None of this is helping. I think that there was a recent update that
> > messed
> > all this up. I was able to "save as ..." any type for the longest time
> > until
> > the most recent updates.

> This can also happen if the image is too big (too many pixels). I don't
> know what to do about it and I haven't seen it in years. Is there one we
> can check?
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> Do not send mail.

Karlmer

Re: Untitled.bmp Filename Appears for Some Images
Whoops, it seems to occur to other images on the server, that do not have a
space in the file name. I wonder if the server might have the wrong MIME type
set in the response headers?

"Karlmer" wrote:

> I've run into this problem saving JPGs as BMPs, and tried:
>
> 1) deleting temporary internet files
> 2) deleting Downloaded Program Files marked as unknown/damaged
> 3) verifying that Do Not Save Encrypted Files To Disk was unchecked
>
> None of this solved the problem.
>
> I noticed that this only seems to occur when the filename of the image has a
> space in the name. IE converts the space to a %20 in the URL, and the image
> refuses to save as a JPG.
>
> Here is an example: http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning 1.jpg
>
> IE converts this to:http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning%201.jpg
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:
>
> > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > None of this is helping. I think that there was a recent update that
> > > messed
> > > all this up. I was able to "save as ..." any type for the longest time
> > > until
> > > the most recent updates.

> > This can also happen if the image is too big (too many pixels). I don't
> > know what to do about it and I haven't seen it in years. Is there one we
> > can check?
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
> > Do not send mail.

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"Karlmer" <Karlmer@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Whoops, it seems to occur to other images on the server, that do not have
> space in the file name. I wonder if the server might have the wrong MIME
> type
> set in the response headers?
>
> "Karlmer" wrote:
>
>> I've run into this problem saving JPGs as BMPs, and tried:
>>
>> 1) deleting temporary internet files
>> 2) deleting Downloaded Program Files marked as unknown/damaged
>> 3) verifying that Do Not Save Encrypted Files To Disk was unchecked
>>
>> None of this solved the problem.
>>
>> I noticed that this only seems to occur when the filename of the image
>> has a
>> space in the name. IE converts the space to a %20 in the URL, and the
>> image
>> refuses to save as a JPG.
>>
>> Here is an example: http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning 1.jpg
>>
>> IE converts this to:http://blogs.chron.com/babysteps/warning%201.jpg
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>>
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM" wrote:
>>
>> > "chris" <chris@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >

>> > This can also happen if the image is too big (too many pixels). I
>> > don't
>> > know what to do about it and I haven't seen it in years. Is there one
>> > we
>> > can check?
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP OE/WM
>> > Do not send mail.

That happens when the Temporary Internet Files are too full. In IE click
Tools | Internet Options. Click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet
files section of the General tab. On the next window place a check mark in
the box to Delete all offline content.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and scroll
down to the Security section. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to
disk".

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix the 'Content Type' settings:

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
(and/or)
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll (for WinXP)

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Karlmer

Re: Untitled.bmp Filename Appears for Some Images
I've verified that Do Not Save Encrypted Files To Disk is unchecked.

I've deleted Temporary Internet Files - I used the Delete All button for all
form data, cookies, temporary files, history, & passwords. I checked "Also
delete files and settings stored by add-ons."

I've deleted the item in Downloaded Program Files marked "Unknown" (which
turned out to be C:\Windows\inf\erma.inf, apparently part of Adobe's Flash
installer)

I've closed all browser windows, and run Internet Explorer (No Add-ons)

I've tried registering the dlls with "regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll" and "regsvr32
/i shimgvw.dll". I tried doing this from Start-Run, and when I got the error
below, I closed all browser windows and tried them from a command line in
C:\Windows\System32, which contains both of those .dlls. However, in both
cases I get the following error message:

The Module "shimgvw.dll" was loaded but the entry-point DllRegisterServer
was not found. Make sure that "shimgvw.dll" is a valid DLL or OCX file and
then try again.

I get the same error for mshtml.dll. I'm running Vista Ultimate SP1 / IE
7.0.6001.18000, with all non-optional updates installed.

Thanks for your help with this Frank, I do appreciate it.