how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history

Marie

how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
I would like to completely get rid of the history option on IE7 ...
If I can completely remove the "star" button(s) that would be fine.
I realize I can delete the history on a daily basis, but it would be so much
simpler if it just wasn't an option.

Thank you for your time and help.
Leonard Grey

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
History is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be
removed. You can set the days in History to 0.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

Marie wrote:
> I would like to completely get rid of the history option on IE7 ...
> If I can completely remove the "star" button(s) that would be fine.
> I realize I can delete the history on a daily basis, but it would be so much
> simpler if it just wasn't an option.
>
> Thank you for your time and help.

Marie

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
Thanks ... yes, I have the days set to 0 ... but my history is still showing
up unless I do a restart every day.

Is there a way to have it clear each time IE gets closed, without having to
restart computer?

Or what about a way to just remove that "star" button from the toolbar? I
can't find an option for that either.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> History is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be
> removed. You can set the days in History to 0.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Marie wrote:
> > I would like to completely get rid of the history option on IE7 ...
> > If I can completely remove the "star" button(s) that would be fine.
> > I realize I can delete the history on a daily basis, but it would be so much
> > simpler if it just wasn't an option.
> >
> > Thank you for your time and help.

Leonard Grey

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
Removing the star won't prevent History from being recorded.

See if you like CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
---

Marie wrote:
> Thanks ... yes, I have the days set to 0 ... but my history is still showing
> up unless I do a restart every day.
>
> Is there a way to have it clear each time IE gets closed, without having to
> restart computer?
>
> Or what about a way to just remove that "star" button from the toolbar? I
> can't find an option for that either.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> History is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be
>> removed. You can set the days in History to 0.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Marie wrote:
>>> I would like to completely get rid of the history option on IE7 ...
>>> If I can completely remove the "star" button(s) that would be fine.
>>> I realize I can delete the history on a daily basis, but it would be so much
>>> simpler if it just wasn't an option.
>>>
>>> Thank you for your time and help.

Marie

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
Thank you, Leonard.

Is there a way to remove the star, even though it won't stop the History
from being recorded? I just prefer not to have such an obvious way of
viewing it.

Thanks again!

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Removing the star won't prevent History from being recorded.
>
> See if you like CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Marie wrote:
> > Thanks ... yes, I have the days set to 0 ... but my history is still showing
> > up unless I do a restart every day.
> >
> > Is there a way to have it clear each time IE gets closed, without having to
> > restart computer?
> >
> > Or what about a way to just remove that "star" button from the toolbar? I
> > can't find an option for that either.
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> History is a feature of the Windows operating system and cannot be
> >> removed. You can set the days in History to 0.
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare Humanum Est
> >>
> >> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334856,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
Maybe, maybe not. If so, it would be a hack, and I don't hack so I can't
help you with that.

Personally: A little yellow star doesn't ruin my day.
---

Marie wrote:
> Thank you, Leonard.
>
> Is there a way to remove the star, even though it won't stop the History
> from being recorded? I just prefer not to have such an obvious way of
> viewing it.
>
> Thanks again!
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Removing the star won't prevent History from being recorded.
>>
>> See if you like CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Marie wrote:
>>> Thanks ... yes, I have the days set to 0 ... but my history is still showing
>>> up unless I do a restart every day.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to have it clear each time IE gets closed, without having to
>>> restart computer?
>>>
>>> Or what about a way to just remove that "star" button from the toolbar? I
>>> can't find an option for that either.

Marie

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
lol ... ok, thank you Leonard ... it's not that it ruins my day, either.

But I tend to leave my computer on at all times, and knowing that someone
else can very easily access my history is just a bit unsettling.

I'm just going to have to get in the habit of deleting history before I
close IE each time. I looked at CCleaner, and it's the same ... I have to
choose each time to run it, or set it up to run on start-up ...

I was just hoping there was a way to clear that history automatically every
time IE was closed out.
Oh well ... life goes on!

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Maybe, maybe not. If so, it would be a hack, and I don't hack so I can't
> help you with that.
>
> Personally: A little yellow star doesn't ruin my day.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> Marie wrote:
> > Thank you, Leonard.
> >
> > Is there a way to remove the star, even though it won't stop the History
> > from being recorded? I just prefer not to have such an obvious way of
> > viewing it.
> >
> > Thanks again!
> >
> > "Leonard Grey" wrote:
> >
> >> Removing the star won't prevent History from being recorded.
> >>
> >> See if you like CCleaner: http://www.ccleaner.com/
> >> ---
> >> Leonard Grey
> >> Errare Humanum Est
> >>
> >> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
> >> http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334856,00.asp

Leonard Grey

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
There's an easy solution for your problem: Go to Control Panel > Display
> Screen Saver and put a checkmark in 'On resume, display Welcome

Screen.' Now, once the screen saver kicks in, someone needs your
password to get to your desktop. You can achieve the same effect without
a screen saver by pressing Winkey+L.
---

Marie wrote:
> lol ... ok, thank you Leonard ... it's not that it ruins my day, either.
>
> But I tend to leave my computer on at all times, and knowing that someone
> else can very easily access my history is just a bit unsettling.
>
> I'm just going to have to get in the habit of deleting history before I
> close IE each time. I looked at CCleaner, and it's the same ... I have to
> choose each time to run it, or set it up to run on start-up ...
>
> I was just hoping there was a way to clear that history automatically every
> time IE was closed out.
> Oh well ... life goes on!
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Maybe, maybe not. If so, it would be a hack, and I don't hack so I can't
>> help you with that.
>>
>> Personally: A little yellow star doesn't ruin my day.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> Marie wrote:
>>> Thank you, Leonard.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to remove the star, even though it won't stop the History
>>> from being recorded? I just prefer not to have such an obvious way of
>>> viewing it.
>>>
>>> Thanks again!

Don Varnau

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
Hi,
> I was just hoping there was a way to clear that history automatically

every
> time IE was closed out.

Try IE Privacy Keeper: http://browsertools.net/IE-Privacy-Keeper/index.html

Option 2:
Wait for the final release of IE8 (? 2nd quarter of 2009 ?) and always use
InPrivate Browsing Mode.

Also, as Leonard advises, if others have access to the computer, you should
lock it or logoff.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Marie" <Marie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> lol ... ok, thank you Leonard ... it's not that it ruins my day, either.
>
> But I tend to leave my computer on at all times, and knowing that someone
> else can very easily access my history is just a bit unsettling.
>
> I'm just going to have to get in the habit of deleting history before I
> close IE each time. I looked at CCleaner, and it's the same ... I have to
> choose each time to run it, or set it up to run on start-up ...
>
> I was just hoping there was a way to clear that history automatically

every
> time IE was closed out.
> Oh well ... life goes on!

> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
> > Maybe, maybe not. If so, it would be a hack, and I don't hack so I can't
> > help you with that.
> >
> > Personally: A little yellow star doesn't ruin my day.

> > Marie wrote:
> > > Thank you, Leonard.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to remove the star, even though it won't stop the

History
> > > from being recorded? I just prefer not to have such an obvious way of
> > > viewing it.
> > >
> > > Thanks again!

showing

having to

toolbar? I

fine.

be so much

Re: how to delete/disable "star" button for favorites/history
0 days = today's browsing history will be deleted at 12:01 AM tomorrow.