IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly

Baron

IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Hello all,

I've been running IE7 for about 2 months without significant issues.
However, recently IE7 has not been rendering sites correctly. Text over lays,
missing / partial buttons, graphic over lays and form controls appearing
within text are a few off the issues I have noticed. Opening the same
external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.

At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
software, but after turning it off, the issues still appear.
I also thought is may be related to CSS. However, after testing with some
simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt file???).
For example, the simple html line below run locally produces a form checkbox
control within text:

HTML: 12345<input type=checkbox>abcde

RESULTS: abcde1[]345
SHOULD PRODUCE: abcde[]12345

Before I consider reinstalling IE7 or switching to another browser, does
anyone know of other things I can try?

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) of the
machine where you're seeing this behavior.

> ...Opening the
> same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.

That one, too.

> At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
> software...

And that software would be...? Is the same software (and same version)
installed on the other machine, too?

> ...However, after testing with some
> simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
> file???).

Does this simple HTML display the same way on the other machine?

See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx and
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Baron wrote:
> I've been running IE7 for about 2 months without significant issues.
> However, recently IE7 has not been rendering sites correctly. Text over
> lays, missing / partial buttons, graphic over lays and form controls
> appearing within text are a few off the issues I have noticed. Opening the
> same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.
>
> At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
> software, but after turning it off, the issues still appear.
> I also thought is may be related to CSS. However, after testing with some
> simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
> file???).
> For example, the simple html line below run locally produces a form
> checkbox
> control within text:
>
> HTML: 12345<input type=checkbox>abcde
>
> RESULTS: abcde1[]345
> SHOULD PRODUCE: abcde[]12345
>
> Before I consider reinstalling IE7 or switching to another browser, does
> anyone know of other things I can try?

Baron

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Thanks for your quick reply and information. I have tested this issue on the
following 3 machines:

1) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
2) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
3) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Zone Alarm 7

Machine #1 does not display pages correctly. Machines 2 and 3 display
correctly.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) of the
> machine where you're seeing this behavior.
>
> > ...Opening the
> > same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.

> That one, too.
>
> > At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
> > software...

> And that software would be...? Is the same software (and same version)
> installed on the other machine, too?
>
> > ...However, after testing with some
> > simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
> > file???).

> Does this simple HTML display the same way on the other machine?
>
> See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx and
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx
>
> MSDN IE Development Forums
> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Baron wrote:
> > I've been running IE7 for about 2 months without significant issues.
> > However, recently IE7 has not been rendering sites correctly. Text over
> > lays, missing / partial buttons, graphic over lays and form controls
> > appearing within text are a few off the issues I have noticed. Opening the
> > same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.
> >
> > At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
> > software, but after turning it off, the issues still appear.
> > I also thought is may be related to CSS. However, after testing with some
> > simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
> > file???).
> > For example, the simple html line below run locally produces a form
> > checkbox
> > control within text:
> >
> > HTML: 12345<input type=checkbox>abcde
> >
> > RESULTS: abcde1[]345
> > SHOULD PRODUCE: abcde[]12345
> >
> > Before I consider reinstalling IE7 or switching to another browser, does
> > anyone know of other things I can try?

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Then assuming TMIS is fully-updated on both machines, one further assumes
that TMIS 2007 must be configured differently on machine #1 or another
application installed on #1 but not #2 is causing the behavior.

Also make certain that IE is the default browser on machines #1 and #2.

Baron wrote:
> Thanks for your quick reply and information. I have tested this issue on
> the
> following 3 machines:
>
> 1) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
> 2) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
> 3) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Zone Alarm 7
>
> Machine #1 does not display pages correctly. Machines 2 and 3 display
> correctly.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) of the
>> machine where you're seeing this behavior.
>>
>>> ...Opening the
>>> same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.

>> That one, too.
>>
>>> At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
>>> software...

>> And that software would be...? Is the same software (and same version)
>> installed on the other machine, too?
>>
>>> ...However, after testing with some
>>> simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
>>> file???).

>> Does this simple HTML display the same way on the other machine?
>>
>> See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx
>> and
>> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
>> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx
>>
>> MSDN IE Development Forums
>> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Baron wrote:
>>> I've been running IE7 for about 2 months without significant issues.
>>> However, recently IE7 has not been rendering sites correctly. Text over
>>> lays, missing / partial buttons, graphic over lays and form controls
>>> appearing within text are a few off the issues I have noticed. Opening
>>> the
>>> same external sites on another machine with IE7 produces normal results.
>>>
>>> At first I thought it may have been related to my internet security
>>> software, but after turning it off, the issues still appear.
>>> I also thought is may be related to CSS. However, after testing with
>>> some
>>> simple html, it appears to be a browser issue (possibly a currupt
>>> file???).
>>> For example, the simple html line below run locally produces a form
>>> checkbox
>>> control within text:
>>>
>>> HTML: 12345<input type=checkbox>abcde
>>>
>>> RESULTS: abcde1[]345
>>> SHOULD PRODUCE: abcde[]12345
>>>
>>> Before I consider reinstalling IE7 or switching to another browser, does
>>> anyone know of other things I can try?

Baron

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Thanks for the additional info. I have confirmed that IE is the default
browser in Add / Remove Programs. I have also confirmed that the TMIS
configuration is identical for machines 1 and 2. As previously mentioned, the
issue also exists with TMIS turned off.

Additionally, I downloaded the IE7 installation exe from the MS site and did
an in-place reinstallation. Unfortunately, after the reinstallation, the
issue still exists. Not sure where to go from here. Even text on this site is
overlapped and hard to read.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Then assuming TMIS is fully-updated on both machines, one further assumes
> that TMIS 2007 must be configured differently on machine #1 or another
> application installed on #1 but not #2 is causing the behavior.
>
> Also make certain that IE is the default browser on machines #1 and #2.
>
> Baron wrote:
> > Thanks for your quick reply and information. I have tested this issue on
> > the
> > following 3 machines:
> >
> > 1) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
> > 2) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
> > 3) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Zone Alarm 7
> >
> > Machine #1 does not display pages correctly. Machines 2 and 3 display
> > correctly.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> Please state the full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) of the
> >> machine where you're seeing this behavior.

> >> That one, too.

> >> And that software would be...? Is the same software (and same version)
> >> installed on the other machine, too?

> >> Does this simple HTML display the same way on the other machine?
> >>
> >> See these MSDN pages: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/default.aspx
> >> and
> >> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537623.aspx and
> >> http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/aa740476.aspx
> >>
> >> MSDN IE Development Forums
> >> http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
On the machine-in-question only:

Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or WinXP
SP3?

Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the

Baron wrote:
> Thanks for the additional info. I have confirmed that IE is the default
> browser in Add / Remove Programs. I have also confirmed that the TMIS
> configuration is identical for machines 1 and 2. As previously mentioned,
> the issue also exists with TMIS turned off.
>
> Additionally, I downloaded the IE7 installation exe from the MS site and
> did
> an in-place reinstallation. Unfortunately, after the reinstallation, the
> issue still exists. Not sure where to go from here. Even text on this site
> is overlapped and hard to read.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Then assuming TMIS is fully-updated on both machines, one further assumes
>> that TMIS 2007 must be configured differently on machine #1 or another
>> application installed on #1 but not #2 is causing the behavior.
>>
>> Also make certain that IE is the default browser on machines #1 and #2.
>>
>> Baron wrote:
>>> Thanks for your quick reply and information. I have tested this issue on
>>> the
>>> following 3 machines:
>>>
>>> 1) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
>>> 2) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Trend Micro Internet Security 2007
>>> 3) XP Pro SP3, IE7 7.0.5730.13, Zone Alarm 7
>>>
>>> Machine #1 does not display pages correctly. Machines 2 and 3 display
>>> correctly.

Baron

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
See answers below:

Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or WinXP
SP3?
A: Installation was performed in the followinf order:
1) XP SP3 for MS SP3 Upgrade CD
2) Windows Update (online) with all IE7 updates unchecked (XP only updates)
3) Windows Update (online) with all IE7 updates checked

Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
original/first install) or WinXP SP3
A: Yes. Totally shut down

Hope this helps.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> On the machine-in-question only:
>
> Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or WinXP
> SP3?
>
> Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
> Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
> original/first install) or WinXP SP3?
> --
> ~PA Bear
>
> Baron wrote:
> > Thanks for the additional info. I have confirmed that IE is the default
> > browser in Add / Remove Programs. I have also confirmed that the TMIS
> > configuration is identical for machines 1 and 2. As previously mentioned,
> > the issue also exists with TMIS turned off.
> >
> > Additionally, I downloaded the IE7 installation exe from the MS site and
> > did
> > an in-place reinstallation. Unfortunately, after the reinstallation, the
> > issue still exists. Not sure where to go from here. Even text on this site
> > is overlapped and hard to read.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Then assuming TMIS is fully-updated on both machines, one further assumes
> >> that TMIS 2007 must be configured differently on machine #1 or another
> >> application installed on #1 but not #2 is causing the behavior.
> >>
> >> Also make certain that IE is the default browser on machines #1 and #2.

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
I will assume that WinXP SP3 was installed and then IE7 was installed.

=> If a Norton or McAfee application has ever been installed on the machine,
STOP HERE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

=> If the behavior persists in IE6, STOP HERE!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3

Baron wrote:
> See answers below:
>
> Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or WinXP
> SP3?
> A: Installation was performed in the followinf order:
> 1) XP SP3 for MS SP3 Upgrade CD
> 2) Windows Update (online) with all IE7 updates unchecked (XP only
> updates)
> 3) Windows Update (online) with all IE7 updates checked
>
> Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
> Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
> original/first install) or WinXP SP3
> A: Yes. Totally shut down
>
> Hope this helps.
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> On the machine-in-question only:
>>
>> Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or
>> WinXP
>> SP3?
>>
>> Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
>> Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
>> original/first install) or WinXP SP3?
>> --
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Baron wrote:
>>> Thanks for the additional info. I have confirmed that IE is the default
>>> browser in Add / Remove Programs. I have also confirmed that the TMIS
>>> configuration is identical for machines 1 and 2. As previously
>>> mentioned,
>>> the issue also exists with TMIS turned off.
>>>
>>> Additionally, I downloaded the IE7 installation exe from the MS site and
>>> did
>>> an in-place reinstallation. Unfortunately, after the reinstallation, the
>>> issue still exists. Not sure where to go from here. Even text on this
>>> site
>>> is overlapped and hard to read.

Baron

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Thanks for the additional information. I'll give it a try and post the results.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]
> > 3) Windows Update (online) with all IE7 updates checked
> >
> > Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
> > Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
> > original/first install) or WinXP SP3
> > A: Yes. Totally shut down
> >
> > Hope this helps.
> >

> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> On the machine-in-question only:
> >>
> >> Which was installed first, IE7 (i.e., the original/first install) or
> >> WinXP
> >> SP3?
> >>
> >> Were all TMIS modules (including the firewall) fully disabled and was the
> >> Windows Firewall enabled prior to the install of IE7 (i.e., the
> >> original/first install) or WinXP SP3?
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Baron

Re: IE7 Not rendering simple html correctly
Update:

I performed the follow steps and received the followin results:
1) Uninstalled IE7 via Control Panel
Results: Uninstalled successfully.

2) Tested some websites and local html that were not displaying correctly.
Results: ALL tests displayed normally using IE6 v6.0.2900.5512

3) Installed IE7 from exe downloaded from MS link provided.

4) Retested some websites and local html that were not displaying correctly.
Results: ALL tests DID NOT display normally using IE7. Same issues as before
reinstallation

5) Turned off TMIS

6) Retested some websites and local html that were not displaying correctly.
Results: ALL tests DID NOT display normally using IE7. Same issues as before
reinstallation

7) Ran Windows Update and applied the following fixes:
KB 956391 (ActiveX)
KB956390 (IE7)
KB938127 (IE7)
Rebooted

8) Retested some websites and local html that were not displaying correctly.
Results: ALL tests DID NOT display normally using IE7. Same issues as before
reinstallation

Not sure how to proceed.