Re: IE 7 steals focus

Rich

Re: IE 7 steals focus

"Eric Lawrence [MSFT]" wrote:

> This is a bug, not a feature. We're working on it.

Eric, Thanks for acknowledgeing that it is a bug. But really, 2 3/4 years
later still no fix? Or did it just not make the windows update service
stream and I have to d/l a KB fix? If so, what KB article?

Rich
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 steals focus

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BA1CC037-781F-4A7D-A081-E89C93F5C4CF@microsoft.com...

> "Eric Lawrence [MSFT]" wrote:
>
>> This is a bug, not a feature. We're working on it.

> Eric, Thanks for acknowledgeing that it is a bug.

> But really, 2 3/4 years later still no fix?

Eric was replying to a rather vague (IMO) example.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...3-050b739fdec4

If you have a consistent problem symptom in this area
please post a sample publicly accessible URL with full details
of a procedure which reproduces the symptom and in which OS.
FWIW I suspect the only case which is completely under IE's control
will involve background tabs, not background or minimized windows.

Otherwise perhaps the "working on it" comment would really be
a slightly exasperated attempt to catch the attention of the Windows Shell
team? For example, I have referred elsewhere to my disappointment
about the apparent lack of generality provided by the TweakUI focus
stealing prevention option. That clearly has more to do with my OS (XPsp3)
than IE. See for example:

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...b02&sloc=en-us

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Rich

Re: IE 7 steals focus

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> If you have a consistent problem symptom in this area
> please post a sample publicly accessible URL with full details
> of a procedure which reproduces the symptom and in which OS.
> FWIW I suspect the only case which is completely under IE's control
> will involve background tabs, not background or minimized windows.

Thanks Robert. Here is a writeup I did earlier and was going to post here
before I found that it was already a going topic. It contains the example
you asked for:

I recently upgraded from w2k and IE6 to XP-sp3 and IE7 (I don't rush such
things :-) ). A good part of the morning is spent listening to a talk show
from WSB-AM in Atlanta.
<http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Player.aspx?station=WSB_AM>. I am
generally doing other work on the computer while listening to that show.
From time to time the Streamaudio player will show an ad which I normally
ignore as the player is minimized. Under w2k/IE6, everything was fine.
Under XP/IE7, whenever one of these ads come on, the player grabs the focus
away from whatever I am working on, requiring me to click the mouse on the
document or whatever I am working on at the moment. This happens even when
the player is minimized.

Any suggestions to prevent this grabbing of the focus would be appreciated.

Rich
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 steals focus

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5D141EA3-1679-4FA6-8115-B126665757CF@microsoft.com...

> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> If you have a consistent problem symptom in this area
>> please post a sample publicly accessible URL with full details
>> of a procedure which reproduces the symptom and in which OS.
>> FWIW I suspect the only case which is completely under IE's control
>> will involve background tabs, not background or minimized windows.

> Thanks Robert. Here is a writeup I did earlier and was going to post here
> before I found that it was already a going topic. It contains the example
> you asked for:
>
> I recently upgraded from w2k and IE6 to XP-sp3 and IE7 (I don't rush such
> things :-) ).

But that violates a good tester's cardinal rule: only change one thing at a time. ; )
You don't know whether it is XP or IE7 which is the significant difference
that causes your symptom.

> A good part of the morning is spent listening to a talk show
> from WSB-AM in Atlanta.
> <http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Player.aspx?station=WSB_AM>. I am
> generally doing other work on the computer while listening to that show.
> From time to time the Streamaudio player will show an ad which I normally
> ignore as the player is minimized. Under w2k/IE6, everything was fine.

> Under XP/IE7, whenever one of these ads come on, the player grabs the focus
> away from whatever I am working on, requiring me to click the mouse on the
> document or whatever I am working on at the moment. This happens even when
> the player is minimized.

Have you tried using IE7 tabs only and making sure that the suspended
task is in a background tab?

> Any suggestions to prevent this grabbing of the focus would be appreciated.
>
> Rich

The above suggestion worked for me with that site. However, the radio kept
playing even though the player's page was in a background tab and the window
it was in was minimized. I didn't see any sign that my TweakUI focus stealing
prevention was in effect--no change in the Taskbar icons when the player started.

ICIM this was using IE8b2 on XPsp3 and other tests closer to what I imagine
you might have been trying didn't fail either, so perhaps IE8b2 has fixed your problem?
<eg>

HTH

Robert
---

Rich

Re: IE 7 steals focus
Thanks Robert, Lets see if I can make a useful response.

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> But that violates a good tester's cardinal rule: only change one thing at a time. ; )
> You don't know whether it is XP or IE7 which is the significant difference
> that causes your symptom.

Granted, but when you install XP, add the sp2 & 3, then go to Windows
update, you are kind of stuck with IE7

> > Under XP/IE7, whenever one of these ads come on, the player grabs the focus
> > away from whatever I am working on, requiring me to click the mouse on the
> > document or whatever I am working on at the moment. This happens even when
> > the player is minimized.

I should ad that the ads are not continious but are grouped at the breaks in
the talk show. There are 5 minute news breaks (with ads) at the hour & half
hour and shorter breaks at around 15 & 45 minutes past the hour (+/- ~5mins)

> Have you tried using IE7 tabs only and making sure that the suspended
> task is in a background tab?

When you open the player window, it starts a fresh instance of IE that I
can't control. How could I put it into a bg tab?

> The above suggestion worked for me with that site. However, the radio kept
> playing even though the player's page was in a background tab and the window
> it was in was minimized. I didn't see any sign that my TweakUI focus stealing
> prevention was in effect--no change in the Taskbar icons when the player started.

I normally minimize the player window. Re Tweakui, I have the XP version
and I don't see anything there about focus stealing. Where is it?

> ICIM this was using IE8b2 on XPsp3 and other tests closer to what I imagine
> you might have been trying didn't fail either, so perhaps IE8b2 has fixed your problem?

I am not a big fan of beta code in general. Can 7 & 8 coexist?

Thanks for your help.

Rich
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: IE 7 steals focus

"Rich" <Rich@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7D05C3C-F316-447D-AD9A-7E6350407E90@microsoft.com...
> Thanks Robert, Lets see if I can make a useful response.
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:
>
>> But that violates a good tester's cardinal rule: only change one thing at a time. ; )
>> You don't know whether it is XP or IE7 which is the significant difference
>> that causes your symptom.

> Granted, but when you install XP, add the sp2 & 3, then go to Windows
> update, you are kind of stuck with IE7

In fact, I got IE7 offered before XPsp3, which is what I would prefer.
E.g. then I could test IE8 being installed into XPsp3 without IE7 already being there.
But you can decline it.

>> > Under XP/IE7, whenever one of these ads come on, the player grabs the focus
>> > away from whatever I am working on, requiring me to click the mouse on the
>> > document or whatever I am working on at the moment. This happens even when
>> > the player is minimized.

> I should ad that the ads are not continious but are grouped at the breaks in
> the talk show. There are 5 minute news breaks (with ads) at the hour & half
> hour and shorter breaks at around 15 & 45 minutes past the hour (+/- ~5mins)
>
>> Have you tried using IE7 tabs only and making sure that the suspended
>> task is in a background tab?

> When you open the player window, it starts a fresh instance of IE that I
> can't control. How could I put it into a bg tab?

In Tab settings, I have
Let Internet Explorer decide how popups should open
and
Open links from other programs in: A new tab in the current window

If necessary, therefore, you could choose instead:
Always open pop-ups in a new tab

Keystrokes: Alt-T,O,Alt-t t b

>> The above suggestion worked for me with that site. However, the radio kept
>> playing even though the player's page was in a background tab and the window
>> it was in was minimized. I didn't see any sign that my TweakUI focus stealing
>> prevention was in effect--no change in the Taskbar icons when the player started.

> I normally minimize the player window. Re Tweakui, I have the XP version
> and I don't see anything there about focus stealing. Where is it?

General
Focus
Prevent application from stealing focus
Flash taskbar button until I click on it

>> ICIM this was using IE8b2 on XPsp3 and other tests closer to what I imagine
>> you might have been trying didn't fail either, so perhaps IE8b2 has fixed your problem?

> I am not a big fan of beta code in general. Can 7 & 8 coexist?

No. You would have to uninstall IE8 to go back to IE7 if that is what you had
installed before that. However, if you are just trying to get an MSIE 7.0 User-Agent
string for some applications IE8 has a compatibility feature which does that and
you can also download and install a User-Agent picker tool which provides even more
generality in that regard.

> Thanks for your help.
>
> Rich

You're welecome.

Good luck

Robert
---

Rich

Re: IE 7 steals focus
"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> In fact, I got IE7 offered before XPsp3, which is what I would prefer.
> E.g. then I could test IE8 being installed into XPsp3 without IE7 already being there.
> But you can decline it.

I started with an XP+sp1 disk, then added sp2 & 3, then windows update and
took everything offerred. Had I known of the focus problem, I would have
skipped IE7. I am considering taking the last image backups of my w2k system
and restore them. The focus problem is not the only glitch I am running
into. I have one ap that "forgets" that I disabled one of its options, and
at least 2 that dont always recover from standby.

> In Tab settings, I have
> Let Internet Explorer decide how popups should open
> and
> Open links from other programs in: A new tab in the current window
>
> If necessary, therefore, you could choose instead:
> Always open pop-ups in a new tab
>
> Keystrokes: Alt-T,O,Alt-t t b

OK, I will try this. thanks.

> General
> Focus
> Prevent application from stealing focus
> Flash taskbar button until I click on it

Ahhhhhhh sooooooo. Found it now, must have missed the "+" on general. I
will experiment with that also.

> No. You would have to uninstall IE8 to go back to IE7 if that is what you had
> installed before that. However, if you are just trying to get an MSIE 7.0 User-Agent
> string for some applications IE8 has a compatibility feature which does that and
> you can also download and install a User-Agent picker tool which provides even more
> generality in that regard.

In that case I will wait on IE8, at least to the end of the beta.

Thanks again for your help.

Rich