This really needs to be fixed.

chosenalias

This really needs to be fixed.
I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh and lost my email
before it was sent. The email had a lot of info in it and will be difficult
to rewrite. A message saying to click refresh should not come up in Internet
Explorer 7 while someone is half way through an unsent/unsaved email. I am
fairly computer-literate and was caught by this. I ask how many other people
must have experienced this frustratuion also...thousands?
Gerald Piwowar
websecure@live.com

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Gordon

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
"chosenalias" <chosenalias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news2171D68-5B08-48AC-962A-91BF8A976105@microsoft.com...
>I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh

Would you jump over a cliff if you were sent a message to do so?

chosenalias

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
Send a message to do what?

"Gordon" wrote:

> "chosenalias" <chosenalias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news2171D68-5B08-48AC-962A-91BF8A976105@microsoft.com...
> >I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> > came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh

> Would you jump over a cliff if you were sent a message to do so?

chosenalias

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
Ancient proverb: Ask a stupid question - get a stupid question.

"chosenalias" wrote:

> Send a message to do what?
>
> "Gordon" wrote:
>
> > "chosenalias" <chosenalias@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > news2171D68-5B08-48AC-962A-91BF8A976105@microsoft.com...
> > >I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> > > came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh

> > Would you jump over a cliff if you were sent a message to do so?

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
[X-post to Internet Mail newsgroup]

The problem appears to be the (new) Hotmail interface so wow is this a
problem in/suggestion for IE7?

HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry

Top 30 Windows Live Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!5828.entry

Windows Live Hotmail Email-format Support:
After having (1) signed-in at https://login.live.com with the Live ID
associated with your Hotmail account, (2) open the following link:
https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?...il&ct=eformts; (3)
Otherwise, jump through the hoops outlined in the instructions posted in
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fa94216876be27
or
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ef4e761c51905e
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

chosenalias wrote:
> I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh and lost my
> email
> before it was sent. The email had a lot of info in it and will be
> difficult
> to rewrite. A message saying to click refresh should not come up in
> Internet Explorer 7 while someone is half way through an unsent/unsaved
> email. I am fairly computer-literate and was caught by this. I ask how
> many other people must have experienced this frustratuion
> also...thousands?

<snip Suggestion boilerplate>

chosenalias

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
Thanks for taking my post seriously PA Bear. This is a super-mega-helpful
reply. You just restored my faith in this discussion group.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [X-post to Internet Mail newsgroup]
>
> The problem appears to be the (new) Hotmail interface so wow is this a
> problem in/suggestion for IE7?
>
> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
>
> Top 30 Windows Live Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!5828.entry
>
> Windows Live Hotmail Email-format Support:
> After having (1) signed-in at https://login.live.com with the Live ID
> associated with your Hotmail account, (2) open the following link:
> https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?...il&ct=eformts; (3)
> Otherwise, jump through the hoops outlined in the instructions posted in
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fa94216876be27
> or
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ef4e761c51905e
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> chosenalias wrote:
> > I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> > came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh and lost my
> > email
> > before it was sent. The email had a lot of info in it and will be
> > difficult
> > to rewrite. A message saying to click refresh should not come up in
> > Internet Explorer 7 while someone is half way through an unsent/unsaved
> > email. I am fairly computer-literate and was caught by this. I ask how
> > many other people must have experienced this frustratuion
> > also...thousands?

> <snip Suggestion boilerplate>

Re: This really needs to be fixed.
YW

chosenalias wrote:
> Thanks for taking my post seriously PA Bear. This is a super-mega-helpful
> reply. You just restored my faith in this discussion group.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [X-post to Internet Mail newsgroup]
>>
>> The problem appears to be the (new) Hotmail interface so wow is this a
>> problem in/suggestion for IE7?
>>
>> HOW TO Optimize IE for Windows Live Hotmail
>> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!6203.entry
>>
>> Top 30 Windows Live Hotmail Help Topics for Mail and Settings:
>> http://emailsupport.spaces.live.com/...708!5828.entry
>>
>> Windows Live Hotmail Email-format Support:
>> After having (1) signed-in at https://login.live.com with the Live ID
>> associated with your Hotmail account, (2) open the following link:
>> https://support.live.com/eform.aspx?...il&ct=eformts; (3)
>> Otherwise, jump through the hoops outlined in the instructions posted in
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...fa94216876be27
>> or
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...ef4e761c51905e
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> chosenalias wrote:
>>> I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a
>>> message
>>> came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh and lost my
>>> email
>>> before it was sent. The email had a lot of info in it and will be
>>> difficult
>>> to rewrite. A message saying to click refresh should not come up in
>>> Internet Explorer 7 while someone is half way through an unsent/unsaved
>>> email. I am fairly computer-literate and was caught by this. I ask how
>>> many other people must have experienced this frustratuion
>>> also...thousands?

>> <snip Suggestion boilerplate>

VanguardLH

chosenalias wrote:

> I was half way through a long email in Windows Live Hotmail and a message
> came up saying I had to click refresh. I clicked refresh and lost my email
> before it was sent. The email had a lot of info in it and will be difficult
> to rewrite. A message saying to click refresh should not come up in Internet
> Explorer 7 while someone is half way through an unsent/unsaved email. I am
> fairly computer-literate and was caught by this. I ask how many other people
> must have experienced this frustratuion also...thousands?

Not an issue with the web browser. The web site issued the prompt, not
the web browser. Complain to the web site.

None of the tips in the articles mentioned by PA Bear will alter the web
*site's* behavior. Users don't get to control how the web site behaves.
You'll have to send Microsoft some feedback regarding your problem with
their *Hotmail* service and its behavior. Nothing to do with IE.

When you are entering your input, it hasn't been saved or submitted
anywhere yet. Refreshing that page means just that: the page gets
refreshed with the default set of code used to paint that page. They
obviously cannot paint a page with your data because the code for that
page is the same code for everyone using that web page. You might want
to start getting in the habit of hitting Ctrl+A Ctrl+C to copy the input
text control holding your input before you move focus away from a page.
Even do this copy operation into your clipboard before clicking the
Submit or Send button. What are you going to do after spending 2 hours
writing a 10-page document but when you go to Send it then you get an
error that the server is unreachable, it is too busy, it is down for
maintenance, or you lose connectivity over the network to their mail
host? You'll lose everything. If it's short enough for you to quickly
dash out your message again then go ahead and assume that clicking Send
is okay - because if it fails then you don't have much to reeneter to
retry sending the same message. If it is something that took a long
time to research to get all the data correct within your message or is
really long, then you'd better save it somewhere in case your browser
crashes, your ISP went down, the mail server is down or unreachable, or
dozens if not hundreds of other reasons why your document shown in a
locally executing program never gets saved over the network.

Word processors normally have an auto-save option to minimize how much
of your work in-progress gets lost before saving it. You haven't saved
anything of an e-mail until you have actually completed a successful
send of it to the mail server. Some e-mail clients have an auto-save
option, some don't (they only "save" if you close the new-mail compose
window or hit, save, Ctrl+S to save a copy of the current document into
the Drafts folder). You're using a web browser. Until you click
Submit, and until the mail server successfully accepts that message,
you've saved NOTHING because you haven't sent anything yet - unless YOU
take the precaution of saving it into your clipboard before refreshing
that web page or even when moving forward or away from it, like when you
click some button that is supposed to start the send operation but which
may not complete.

A web browser is not an e-mail client. Don't expect a web browser to
behave like an e-mail client. A web browser is just a window into a
site's web pages. You haven't sent anything to a web site until, well,
you actually send it. You never sent anything to their mail server.
You have a bunch of text shown in your web browser which is a locally
executing application. You never told the web browser to send that
input to their mail server, even if only to save it as a Draft before
changing focus away from the currently rendered web page shown locally
on your host in your web browser. Not their fault. They never got it.