"This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."

Bryan

"This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
Yesterday, Internet Explorer 7.0 started to display the message of "This
certificate has expired or is not yet valid." when assessing Comcast.net and
Yahoo.com.
Comcast support says that IE7 has "expired" and that I should contact
Microsoft, which will not resolve this problem without 59$.

What has caused this message copied below and how do I eliminate it?

There is a problem with this website's security certificate.

The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not
yet valid.

Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
intercept any data you send to the server.
We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
website.
Click here to close this webpage.
Continue to this website (not recommended).
More information

If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address in
the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
information into the website.

For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
Windows version is...?

Bryan wrote:
> Yesterday, Internet Explorer 7.0 started to display the message of "This
> certificate has expired or is not yet valid." when assessing Comcast.net
> and
> Yahoo.com.
> Comcast support says that IE7 has "expired" and that I should contact
> Microsoft, which will not resolve this problem without 59$.
>
> What has caused this message copied below and how do I eliminate it?
>
> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
>
> The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not
> yet valid.
>
> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> intercept any data you send to the server.
> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> website.
> Click here to close this webpage.
> Continue to this website (not recommended).
> More information
>
> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> in
> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> information into the website.
>
> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Bryan

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
I have Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600 on
PC with this message.

I had accidently changed the Microsoft date/time yesterday, so I am
rebooting now to see if it eliminates this message after correcting the date.

Bryan

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows version is...?
>
> Bryan wrote:
> > Yesterday, Internet Explorer 7.0 started to display the message of "This
> > certificate has expired or is not yet valid." when assessing Comcast.net
> > and
> > Yahoo.com.
> > Comcast support says that IE7 has "expired" and that I should contact
> > Microsoft, which will not resolve this problem without 59$.
> >
> > What has caused this message copied below and how do I eliminate it?
> >
> > There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
> >
> > The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not
> > yet valid.
> >
> > Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
> > intercept any data you send to the server.
> > We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
> > website.
> > Click here to close this webpage.
> > Continue to this website (not recommended).
> > More information
> >
> > If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website address
> > in
> > the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
> > When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
> > adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
> > If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
> > information into the website.
> >
> > For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer Help.

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
Nonetheless, I'd still recommend going to Windows Update, select CUSTOM and
scan. Install any Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root
Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it
to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

Bryan wrote:
> I have Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> on
> PC with this message.
>
> I had accidently changed the Microsoft date/time yesterday, so I am
> rebooting now to see if it eliminates this message after correcting the
> date.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Windows version is...?
>>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> Yesterday, Internet Explorer 7.0 started to display the message of "This
>>> certificate has expired or is not yet valid." when assessing Comcast.net
>>> and
>>> Yahoo.com.
>>> Comcast support says that IE7 has "expired" and that I should contact
>>> Microsoft, which will not resolve this problem without 59$.
>>>
>>> What has caused this message copied below and how do I eliminate it?
>>>
>>> There is a problem with this website's security certificate.
>>>
>>> The security certificate presented by this website has expired or is not
>>> yet valid.
>>>
>>> Security certificate problems may indicate an attempt to fool you or
>>> intercept any data you send to the server.
>>> We recommend that you close this webpage and do not continue to this
>>> website.
>>> Click here to close this webpage.
>>> Continue to this website (not recommended).
>>> More information
>>>
>>> If you arrived at this page by clicking a link, check the website
>>> address
>>> in
>>> the address bar to be sure that it is the address you were expecting.
>>> When going to a website with an address such as https://example.com, try
>>> adding the 'www' to the address, https://www.example.com.
>>> If you choose to ignore this error and continue, do not enter private
>>> information into the website.
>>>
>>> For more information, see "Certificate Errors" in Internet Explorer
>>> Help.

Bryan

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
My computer is set to receive security & critical updates automatically. I
ran Windows Update>Custom, as you suggested, and it found "No high-priority
updates for your computer are available. To select other updates, use the
options to the left."

All is working fine now with date/time correction - wish that Comcast had
this one in their FAQ.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Nonetheless, I'd still recommend going to Windows Update, select CUSTOM and
> scan. Install any Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root
> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install it
> to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>
> Bryan wrote:
> > I have Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
> > on
> > PC with this message.
> >
> > I had accidently changed the Microsoft date/time yesterday, so I am
> > rebooting now to see if it eliminates this message after correcting the
> > date.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Windows version is...?

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
Root Certificate updates are Optional Software Updates, NOT high-priority or
critical updates, and they are not offered by Automatic Updates or in the
primary scan results at Windows Update.

Bryan wrote:
> My computer is set to receive security & critical updates automatically.
> ran Windows Update>Custom, as you suggested, and it found "No
> high-priority
> updates for your computer are available. To select other updates, use the
> options to the left."
>
> All is working fine now with date/time correction - wish that Comcast had
> this one in their FAQ.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Nonetheless, I'd still recommend going to Windows Update, select CUSTOM
>> and
>> scan. Install any Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root
>> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install
>> it
>> to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.
>>
>> Bryan wrote:
>>> I have Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build
>>> 2600
>>> on
>>> PC with this message.
>>>
>>> I had accidently changed the Microsoft date/time yesterday, so I am
>>> rebooting now to see if it eliminates this message after correcting the
>>> date.

Opinicus

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote

> Root Certificate updates are Optional Software Updates, NOT high-priority
> or critical updates, and they are not offered by Automatic Updates or in
> the primary scan results at Windows Update.

Thanks for pointing that out.

By the way, does anybody know what that "Silverlight" thing is? Or has used
it?

--
Bob
http://www.kanyak.com

Daniel Crichton

Opinicus wrote on Mon, 24 Nov 2008 10:39:08 +0200:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote

>> Root Certificate updates are Optional Software Updates, NOT
>> high-priority or critical updates, and they are not offered by
>> Automatic Updates or in the primary scan results at Windows Update.

> Thanks for pointing that out.

> By the way, does anybody know what that "Silverlight" thing is? Or has
> used it?

For more details on Silverlight, see here: http://silverlight.net/

As to your original question about the cert expiry, I see you found that the
cause was the date. The browser compares the OS date against the certificate
dates, and shows the warning if the cert appears to not yet be valid (start
date in the future) or expired (expiry date in the past). Morale of the
story - don't change your system date

--
Dan

Bryan

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
I did receive an optional Update for Root Certificates and installed it to be
on the "safe" side.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Root Certificate updates are Optional Software Updates, NOT high-priority or
> critical updates, and they are not offered by Automatic Updates or in the
> primary scan results at Windows Update.
>
> Bryan wrote:
> > My computer is set to receive security & critical updates automatically.
> > ran Windows Update>Custom, as you suggested, and it found "No
> > high-priority
> > updates for your computer are available. To select other updates, use the
> > options to the left."
> >
> > All is working fine now with date/time correction - wish that Comcast had
> > this one in their FAQ.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Nonetheless, I'd still recommend going to Windows Update, select CUSTOM
> >> and
> >> scan. Install any Critical Updates offered (i.e., KB956390). If a Root
> >> Certificates update is listed in the Optional Updates category, install
> >> it
> >> to take full advantage of IE7's enhanced security.

Re: "This certificate has expired or is not yet valid."
Good for you. There's usually a new Root Certificates update released every
2 or 3 months or so. Remember to check for a new one soon.

Speaking of which, the one you just installed was released on 23 Sept-08 and
according to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199, a new Root Certificates
update is scheduled to be released tomorrow (25 Nov-08).
--
~PA Bear