IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to use

Tommy Jones

IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to use
I am getting the following on many websites (e.g., when I to to www.Adobe.com
and try to download Flash Player) when I access them with IE 7:
"Your Security settings do not allow websites to use ActiveX controls
installed on your computer. This page may not display correctly. Click here
for options."

I have been trying to get this resolved for over a month now. I looked up
at least 20 Microsoft Support articles (I can't remember them all),
uninstalled updates, ran Microsoft Update to be sure I have all patches
installed, looked in newsgroups like this -- and I just can't find a fix.

Here's what I have:
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 (32-bit) on a Toshiba laptop with 4GB of
memory and a Intel dual core 5450 processor
Internet Explorer 7.0.6001.18000 (256-bit)
Also, I am logged in as an Adminstrator

I have confirmed (via Internet Tools in IE7):
Protected Mode is enabled (even though the bottom of all IE7 pages say its
off)
Checked all the "ActiveX" options to ensure they're either set to enable
or prompt

I've read about the "hash" problem and confirmed the registry settings.
I've tried every security level for "Internet" and added sites as "trusted."
I've tried "uninstalling KB939653", using "Method 4 (reregister cyrypto
..dlls), and numerous other suggestions found on the Microsot ste. I've even
tried enabling the ActiveX options under Internet Tools that allow the
download of unknown/untrusted/unsafe activex controls. Nothing works.

I do have Webroot SpySweeper and Norton Antivirus running in the background,
but I've even tried setting them to not scan incoming trafffic, but this
doesn't provide a solution either.

BTW, I've had Vista on this machine since 2007 (and I assum IE7) and I did
not always have this problem. Eveything worked fine until about 2 months
ago, which I believe is when the update to SP1 of Vista came out (but I'm not
sure).

Here's what happens: 1) I go to a site; 2) it says it needs to install an
ActiveX control; 3) I click "Install ActiveX Control"; and 4) then the
message above comes. However, even though the message ends with "click here
for options", the only "option" that display is "More information" and it
won't do/allow anything.

Does anyone have any ideas, because all the KBs I went to so far don't
provide any answers. I'd even be willing to uninstall IE7 (which I don't
think I can do since I'm running Vista) and go back to IE6 if anyone can tell
me how to do it.

As an alternative, I use Firefox, but I'd hate to have to stay with it
because pages display differently.

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to use
> I do have Webroot SpySweeper and Norton Antivirus running in the
> background...

> BTW, I've had Vista on this machine since 2007 (and I assum IE7) and I did
> not always have this problem. Eveything worked fine until about 2 months
> ago, which I believe is when the update to SP1 of Vista came out (but I'm
> not sure).

Vista SP1 was released on 18 Mar-08.

Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?

Did you disable all SpySweeper Shields and NAV prior to installing Vista
SP1?

Does the behavior persist in Safe Mode with Networking? (Careful!)

Did you upgrade NAV a month or two ago (e.g., from NAV 2007 to NAV 2009)?

Did a free-trial of a Norton application come preinstalled on the machine
when you bought it?

Also see:

How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215

How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213

Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided Help)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Tommy Jones wrote:
> [...]
> not sure).
>
> Here's what happens: 1) I go to a site; 2) it says it needs to install an
> ActiveX control; 3) I click "Install ActiveX Control"; and 4) then the
> message above comes. However, even though the message ends with "click
> here
> for options", the only "option" that display is "More information" and it
> won't do/allow anything.
>
> Does anyone have any ideas, because all the KBs I went to so far don't
> provide any answers. I'd even be willing to uninstall IE7 (which I don't
> think I can do since I'm running Vista) and go back to IE6 if anyone can
> tell me how to do it.
>
> As an alternative, I use Firefox, but I'd hate to have to stay with it
> because pages display differently.

Tommy Jones

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
PA Bear,
Thanks for responding. The answers to your questions are:
1) I installed SP1 via the automatic update process.
2) the background processes for NAV and SprysWeeper was still running when I
installed SP1. I not't remeber shutting it off, although I would have shut
it down if it asked.
3) I have not tried the "SAFE" mode option yet
5) I did not recently upgrade to NAV 2009
6) and I have not installed in free/trial software from norton

#2 could have left you with a "horked" (incomplete; faulty) install of Vista
SP1, Tommy.

In #6, I was asking if a free-trial version of a Norton application (or
McAfee, or...) came PREINSTALLED on the machine when you bought it.

Tommy Jones wrote:
> [...]

>>> an
>>> ActiveX control; 3) I click "Install ActiveX Control"; and 4) then the
>>> message above comes. However, even though the message ends with "click
>>> here
>>> for options", the only "option" that display is "More information" and
>>> it
>>> won't do/allow anything.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any ideas, because all the KBs I went to so far don't
>>> provide any answers. I'd even be willing to uninstall IE7 (which I
>>> don't
>>> think I can do since I'm running Vista) and go back to IE6 if anyone can
>>> tell me how to do it.
>>>
>>> As an alternative, I use Firefox, but I'd hate to have to stay with it
>>> because pages display differently.

Tommy Jones

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably did.
However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
install my own multi-license version.
#2) how do I find out if this is the problem?

Tommy
===

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> #2 could have left you with a "horked" (incomplete; faulty) install of Vista
> SP1, Tommy.
>
> In #6, I was asking if a free-trial version of a Norton application (or
> McAfee, or...) came PREINSTALLED on the machine when you bought it.
>
> Tommy Jones wrote:
> > PA Bear,
> > Thanks for responding. The answers to your questions are:
> > 1) I installed SP1 via the automatic update process.
> > 2) the background processes for NAV and SprysWeeper was still running when
> > installed SP1. I not't remeber shutting it off, although I would have
> > shut
> > it down if it asked.
> > 3) I have not tried the "SAFE" mode option yet
> > 5) I did not recently upgrade to NAV 2009
> > 6) and I have not installed in free/trial software from norton

> >> Vista SP1 was released on 18 Mar-08.
> >>
> >> Did you install Vista SP1 via Windows Update or manually?
> >>
> >> Did you disable all SpySweeper Shields and NAV prior to installing Vista
> >> SP1?
> >>
> >> Does the behavior persist in Safe Mode with Networking? (Careful!)
> >>
> >> Did you upgrade NAV a month or two ago (e.g., from NAV 2007 to NAV 2009)?
> >>
> >> Did a free-trial of a Norton application come preinstalled on the machine
> >> when you bought it?
> >>
> >> Also see:
> >>
> >> How to troubleshoot Internet Explorer 7 issues in Windows Vista:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936215
> >>
> >> How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
> >>
> >> Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts (Guided
> >> Help) http://support.microsoft.com/gp/pc_ie_intro
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
> for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably
> did.
> However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
> install my own multi-license version.

Norton and McAfee applications (among others) are notorious for not
uninstalling (and upgrading) cleanly. After uninstalling the app via
Add/Remove Programs, you must then download/run a removal tool and reboot,
ideally prior to installing the new, replacement application. These
"leftovers" can lead to exactly the issues you're having now, which is why I
asked about it.

Norton Removal Tool
[Discussion: http://windowssecrets.com/comp/080207#story1]

McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocumen...107083&lc=1033
[Discussion: http://www.pchell.com/virus/uninstallmcafee.shtml]

NOTE: Running either of the above tools cannot/will not damage you system if
it turns out that a Norton or McAfee application was never installed.

> #2) how do I find out if this is the problem?

On your own, you could uninstall Vista SP1 and then reinstall it, having
made sure that you'd (1) disabled NAV and (2) all SpySweeper Shields before
uninstalling and then reinstalling.

How to uninstall Windows Vista SP1 as a troubleshooting step
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/948537

[If I had hands-on access to the machine, I'd disable all SpySweeper
Shields, uninstall both SpySweeper and NAV and then run the Norton Removal
Tool (at least) before uninstalling/reinstalling, and I'd do as much as
possible while working offline/physically disconnected from the
internet...but that could be a very risky thing for *you* to attempt.]

Or you could open a free Vista SP1 Support Incident:

Unlimited installation and compatibility support for Vista SP1 is available
at no charge through 18 Mar-09

• US:

• CA:

• UK:

• AU:

• Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Truth be told, a clean install ("in-place upgrade) of Vista would probably
be the quickest and most efficient way to resolve this. Good luck.
==
~PA Bear

Tommy Jones wrote:
> for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably
> did.
> However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
> install my own multi-license version.
> #2) how do I find out if this is the problem?
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> #2 could have left you with a "horked" (incomplete; faulty) install of
>> Vista SP1, Tommy.
>>
>> In #6, I was asking if a free-trial version of a Norton application (or
>> McAfee, or...) came PREINSTALLED on the machine when you bought it.
>>
>> Tommy Jones wrote:
>>> Thanks for responding. The answers to your questions are:
>>> 1) I installed SP1 via the automatic update process.
>>> 2) the background processes for NAV and SprysWeeper was still running
>>> when
>>> installed SP1. I not't remeber shutting it off, although I would have
>>> shut
>>> it down if it asked.
>>> 3) I have not tried the "SAFE" mode option yet
>>> 5) I did not recently upgrade to NAV 2009
>>> 6) and I have not installed in free/trial software from norton

Tommy Jones

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
How do you do a "in-place install?" And this would mean losing all my files
and applications right?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> be the quickest and most efficient way to resolve this. Good luck.
> ==
> ~PA Bear
>
> Tommy Jones wrote:
> > for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably
> > did.
> > However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
> > install my own multi-license version.
> > #2) how do I find out if this is the problem?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> #2 could have left you with a "horked" (incomplete; faulty) install of
> >> Vista SP1, Tommy.
> >>
> >> In #6, I was asking if a free-trial version of a Norton application (or
> >> McAfee, or...) came PREINSTALLED on the machine when you bought it.

Tommy Jones

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
Oops, disregard last queston. Didn't see the KB just about.

Thanks.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> Truth be told, a clean install ("in-place upgrade) of Vista would probably
> be the quickest and most efficient way to resolve this. Good luck.
> ==
> ~PA Bear
>
> Tommy Jones wrote:
> > for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably
> > did.
> > However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
> > install my own multi-license version.
> > #2) how do I find out if this is the problem?
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> #2 could have left you with a "horked" (incomplete; faulty) install of
> >> Vista SP1, Tommy.
> >>
> >> In #6, I was asking if a free-trial version of a Norton application (or
> >> McAfee, or...) came PREINSTALLED on the machine when you bought it.

Re: IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allow websites to
An in-place upgrade (not install) is also called a clean install. You'd
need to back-up your personal data before executing the in-place upgrade;
Afterwards, you'd need to (1) uninstall any free-trialware that came with
the machine when you bought it, (2) install & properly configure an
anti-virus application, (3) make certain the Windows Firewall is enabled,
(4) get the machine fully patched and Windows Update, and *then* (4)
reinstall your current applications using the CDs/DVDs they came on.

Tommy Jones wrote:
> [...]

>> • UK:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • AU:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=500921
>>
>> • Other: http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx | select Windows
>> Vista | select Windows Vista Service Pack 1
>>
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>
>> Truth be told, a clean install ("in-place upgrade) of Vista would
>> probably
>> be the quickest and most efficient way to resolve this. Good luck.
>> ==
>> ~PA Bear
>>
>> Tommy Jones wrote:
>>> for #6, I really can't remember since it was June 2007, but it probably
>>> did.
>>> However, whenever this happens, I always uninstall the free versions and
>>> install my own multi-license version.
>>> #2) how do I find out if this is the problem?

Daniel Moschini

IE7 & Vista: Your Security settings do not allowwebsites to use - TommyJone
I find a solution a this problem.
You need to start the IExplorer program with privilege the administrator, and the activex work.
Enjoy you.