IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user

Don Crossman

IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user
IE7 refuses to remember passwords of either type, auto-complete or
Credentials, for any site when I use my primary user account, which is an
administrator account. If I create a new admin-level user, it works fine.

I've been investigating this for well over a month and nothing has worked.
I've created the Storage2 key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
Explorer\IntelliForms and it just disappears.

I installed IEPassView from NirSoft and it shows nothing (as it should).

Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm completely fluffernuttered. Thanks.

-- Don

Re: IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user
Did this behavior start immediately after you installed WinXP SP3?

Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Don Crossman wrote:
> IE7 refuses to remember passwords of either type, auto-complete or
> Credentials, for any site when I use my primary user account, which is an
> administrator account. If I create a new admin-level user, it works fine.
>
> I've been investigating this for well over a month and nothing has worked.
> I've created the Storage2 key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
> Explorer\IntelliForms and it just disappears.
>
> I installed IEPassView from NirSoft and it shows nothing (as it should).
>
> Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm completely fluffernuttered. Thanks.
>
> -- Don

Don Crossman

Re: IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in news:uSSm#BMTJHA.5244
@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl:

> Did this behavior start immediately after you installed WinXP SP3?
>
> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

It's possible it started when I installed SP3, IE7 has been installed since
long before SP3 was released.

Re: IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user
Don Crossman wrote:
<paste>
>> IE7 refuses to remember passwords of either type, auto-complete or
>> Credentials, for any site when I use my primary user account, which is an
>> administrator account. If I create a new admin-level user, it works fine.
>>
>> I've been investigating this for well over a month and nothing has
>> worked.
>> I've created the Storage2 key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>> Explorer\IntelliForms and it just disappears.
>>
>> I installed IEPassView from NirSoft and it shows nothing (as it should).
>>
>> Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm completely fluffernuttered. Thanks.
>> Did this behavior start immediately after you installed WinXP SP3?

</paste>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

> It's possible it started when I installed SP3, IE7 has been installed
> since
> long before SP3 was released.

To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of previous
message(s) in your replies to the newsgroup. Thank you. (Since you post
using Forte Agent, I'll omit the default sig delimiter to help us both.)

in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?

WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation [and
Uninstall!!]

Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 address the behavior?

How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

==

> Don Crossman wrote:
> <paste>
>>> IE7 refuses to remember passwords of either type, auto-complete or
>>> Credentials, for any site when I use my primary user account, which
>>> is an administrator account. If I create a new admin-level user, it
>>> works fine.
>>>
>>> I've been investigating this for well over a month and nothing has
>>> worked.
>>> I've created the Storage2 key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>>> Explorer\IntelliForms and it just disappears.
>>>
>>> I installed IEPassView from NirSoft and it shows nothing (as it
>>> should).
>>>
>>> Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm completely fluffernuttered.
>>> Thanks. Did this behavior start immediately after you installed
>>> WinXP SP3?
>>>

> </paste>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

>> It's possible it started when I installed SP3, IE7 has been installed
>> since
>> long before SP3 was released.

> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> (Since you post using Forte Agent, I'll omit the default sig delimiter
> to help us both.)

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation [and
> Uninstall!!]
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp-

sp3-
> read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>
> Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 address the behavior?
>
> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> ==
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Sorry about the quoting, I don't know what happened with that.

Anyway, I'm running AVG 8.0, and have been running AVG for years. Not
running any active spyware, but run MalwareBytes and/or Ad-Aware scans
occassionally. My firewall is a hardware firewall in my DSL router.

I will uninstall SP3 and let you know what happens
Don Crossman

Re: IE& SP3 not saving passwords for user
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in

> Don Crossman wrote:
> <paste>
>>> IE7 refuses to remember passwords of either type, auto-complete or
>>> Credentials, for any site when I use my primary user account, which
>>> is an administrator account. If I create a new admin-level user, it
>>> works fine.
>>>
>>> I've been investigating this for well over a month and nothing has
>>> worked.
>>> I've created the Storage2 key under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet
>>> Explorer\IntelliForms and it just disappears.
>>>
>>> I installed IEPassView from NirSoft and it shows nothing (as it
>>> should).
>>>
>>> Any ideas at all are welcome. I'm completely fluffernuttered.
>>> Thanks. Did this behavior start immediately after you installed
>>> WinXP SP3?
>>>

> </paste>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Which was installed first, IE7 or WinXP SP3?

>> It's possible it started when I installed SP3, IE7 has been installed
>> since
>> long before SP3 was released.

> To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you include all of
> (Since you post using Forte Agent, I'll omit the default sig delimiter
> to help us both.)

> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation [and
> Uninstall!!]
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp-

sp3-
> read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>
> Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 address the behavior?
>
> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249

> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"
> ==
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

OK! Some progress. I had to uninstall BOTH SP3 and IE7, but passwords
are working again.

From the information you referenced, my guess would be that I should
reinstall SP3 and THEN reinstall IE7. Would that be correct?

Thanks very much.

Don Crossman wrote:

>>> It's possible it started when I installed SP3, IE7 has been installed
>>> since long before SP3 was released.

>> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3?
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation [and
>> Uninstall!!]
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp- sp3-
>> read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>>
>> Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 address the behavior?
>>
>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>>
>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available for
>> Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09. Chat
>> and e-mail support is available only in the United States and Canada.
>> Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
>> select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

> OK! Some progress. I had to uninstall BOTH SP3 and IE7, but passwords
> are working again.
>
> From the information you referenced, my guess would be that I should
> reinstall SP3 and THEN reinstall IE7. Would that be correct?
>
> Thanks very much.

You're welcome.

1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 first, please.

2. After two (2) reboots, test IE6 and make sure it's working properly
(e.g., saving passwords), then reinstall IE7. Required reading IMHO before
installing IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP!
(ignore any references to Vista)

And I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Alternately, use this
Direct Download link:
Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend installing it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.

IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
==

>>> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is
>>> your subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other
>>> than Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of
>>> these applications running in the background when you installed
>>> WinXP SP3?
>>>
>>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>>> [and Uninstall!!]
>>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp-
>>> sp3- read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>>>
>>> Does uninstalling WinXP SP3 address the behavior?
>>>
>>> How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 3 from your computer:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950249
>>>
>>> Free unlimited installation and compatibility support is available
>>> for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until 14 Apr-09.
>>> Chat and e-mail support is available only in the United States and
>>> Canada. Go to
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 | select
>>> "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

>> OK! Some progress. I had to uninstall BOTH SP3 and IE7, but passwords
>> are working again.
>>
>> From the information you referenced, my guess would be that I should
>> reinstall SP3 and THEN reinstall IE7. Would that be correct?
>>
>> Thanks very much.

> You're welcome.
>
> 1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 first, please.
>
> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp-

sp3-
> read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>
> 2. After two (2) reboots, test IE6 and make sure it's working properly
> (e.g., saving passwords), then reinstall IE7. Required reading IMHO
> before installing IE7:
>
> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12,
> then STOP!
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
> (ignore any references to Vista)
>
> And I strongly recommend using
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Alternately, use
> this Direct Download link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...lyid=9ae91ebe-

3385-

2
> D00_Malware-Applications.aspx ==
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Just to tie this up with a bow, you da man! Everything is back to normal
now. Thanks again.

Don Crossman wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in

>>> OK! Some progress. I had to uninstall BOTH SP3 and IE7, but passwords
>>> are working again.
>>>
>>> From the information you referenced, my guess would be that I should
>>> reinstall SP3 and THEN reinstall IE7. Would that be correct?
>>>
>>> Thanks very much.

>> You're welcome.
>>
>> 1. Reinstall WinXP SP3 first, please.
>>
>> WinXP SP3 - Read all prerequisites for a successful installation
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/harrywaldron...08/windows-xp- sp3-
>> read-all-prerequisites-for-a-successful-installation.aspx
>>
>> 2. After two (2) reboots, test IE6 and make sure it's working properly
>> (e.g., saving passwords), then reinstall IE7. Required reading IMHO
>> before installing IE7:
>>
>> Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12,
>> then STOP!
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install
>> (ignore any references to Vista)
>>
>> And I strongly recommend using
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the
>> installation source, not Automatic/Windows Update. Alternately, use
>> this Direct Download link:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...lyid=9ae91ebe- 3385-
>> 447c-8a30-081805b2f90b Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not
>> Run it.
>>
>> Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
>> installing IE7 and install any critical updates offered. If Optional
>> Updates category offers Root Certificates update, I recommend
>> installing it to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
>>
>> IEBlog : IE7 Installation and Anti-Malware Applications
>> http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...tion-and-Anti_ 2
>> D00_Malware-Applications.aspx

> Just to tie this up with a bow, you da man! Everything is back to normal
> now. Thanks again.

You're most welcome, Don. Thanks very much for your feedback and your
patience!

PS: I guess this thread's resolve now, too =>
http://groups.google.com/group/micro... 385df550ead3