Links order

Kevin

Links order
Win XP SP3
IE 7

I just recently took the plunge and installed IE 7. So far I like it.

One weirdness though is that the order of the folders that I set up on my
Links bar keeps changing.

I arrange the folders on the Links bar to the order in which I want them but
then, if I reboot or sometime if I just close IE and reopen IE later, the
order that the folders were arranged in changes. It's a little annoying.

Locking the toolbars does indeed lock the toolbars but has no effect on
keeping the folders in order.

Does anyone have any workaround for locking down the order in which the
folders appear on the Links bar?

Thanks in advance for any insights.

-Kevin

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Links order

"Kevin" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message news:eiIYQ7ETJHA.4916@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Win XP SP3
> IE 7
>
> I just recently took the plunge and installed IE 7. So far I like it.
>
> One weirdness though is that the order of the folders that I set up on my
> Links bar keeps changing.
>
> I arrange the folders on the Links bar to the order in which I want them but
> then, if I reboot or sometime if I just close IE and reopen IE later, the
> order that the folders were arranged in changes. It's a little annoying.

You're implying that your saved order is persistent to a degree?
That would rule out the most common cause of a related symptom,
no persistence at all when IE is closed because something is inhibiting
the write to the registry's MenuOrder Order value which has to be done
to make it stick.

Do you try to sort your Favorites otherwise, especially in the root?
Perhaps a sort done there propagates to the subdirectories?
(I don't know and don't want to do the necessary test to find out.)

Otherwise something must be either deleting or rewriting that value unexpectedly.
If it happens relatively quickly you could trace your use of it with RegMon
(or ProcMon with an appropriately throttled capture). If it is just infrequent
one thing to do which may provide more clues is to use registry auditing,
e.g. change the permissions of the Links key to save audit records into the
event log. At least that's my understanding of how it is supposed to work. ; )

Heh. While checking out how the Auditing permissions work I realized
that you could also manage the Write permissions of that key yourself.
E.g. once you have the Links bar changed the way you want and saved,
you could lock its registry key down to try to prevent something else
from just making another change to its Order value without also having
to deal with the extra complication of rechanging the permissions
so a write would be possible. Of course that means that you would have
to remember that you had done that and unlock it before making changes
to your Links bar and then relocking it again afterwards. ; )

> Locking the toolbars does indeed lock the toolbars but has no effect on
> keeping the folders in order.

AFAIK that's just to control the use of the UI. I wouldn't expect it
to have any effect on how the registry makes it persist.

> Does anyone have any workaround for locking down the order in which the
> folders appear on the Links bar?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> -Kevin

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

Re: Links order
One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone Alarm
(Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

PS: If any of the above were running in the background when you installed
IE7, you may have worse problems.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kevin wrote:
> Win XP SP3
> IE 7
>
> I just recently took the plunge and installed IE 7. So far I like it.
>
> One weirdness though is that the order of the folders that I set up on my
> Links bar keeps changing.
>
> I arrange the folders on the Links bar to the order in which I want them
> but
> then, if I reboot or sometime if I just close IE and reopen IE later, the
> order that the folders were arranged in changes. It's a little annoying.
>
> Locking the toolbars does indeed lock the toolbars but has no effect on
> keeping the folders in order.
>
> Does anyone have any workaround for locking down the order in which the
> folders appear on the Links bar?
>
> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>
> -Kevin

Kevin

Re: Links order
Thanks Robert and PA Bear,

I disabled AVG anti virus, arranged my Links folders, also remembered an old
FAQ about getting IE to remember it's last window size and position > Hold
down Ctrl while closing IE with the "X"

Rebooted and all the Links folders were right where I left them. I don't
know if it was AVG or the FAQ but the Links bar is behaving itself now.

Thanks again.

-Kevin

> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
> applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These
> include but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
> Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone
> Alarm (Free, Pro, & Security Suite).
>
> PS: If any of the above were running in the background when you installed
> IE7, you may have worse problems.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Kevin wrote:
>> Win XP SP3
>> IE 7
>>
>> I just recently took the plunge and installed IE 7. So far I like it.
>>
>> One weirdness though is that the order of the folders that I set up on my
>> Links bar keeps changing.
>>
>> I arrange the folders on the Links bar to the order in which I want them
>> but
>> then, if I reboot or sometime if I just close IE and reopen IE later, the
>> order that the folders were arranged in changes. It's a little annoying.
>>
>> Locking the toolbars does indeed lock the toolbars but has no effect on
>> keeping the folders in order.
>>
>> Does anyone have any workaround for locking down the order in which the
>> folders appear on the Links bar?
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>>
>> -Kevin

Re: Links order
What's the full name and version of this AVG application, Kevin? Is it a
free or paid version? What VDB (virus database) version is showing in the
UI?

Is AVG Anti-Spyware still installed?

Kevin wrote:
> Thanks Robert and PA Bear,
>
> I disabled AVG anti virus, arranged my Links folders, also remembered an
> old
> FAQ about getting IE to remember it's last window size and position >
> Hold
> down Ctrl while closing IE with the "X"
>
> Rebooted and all the Links folders were right where I left them. I don't
> know if it was AVG or the FAQ but the Links bar is behaving itself now.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Kevin

>> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
>> applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These
>> include but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
>> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
>> Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone
>> Alarm (Free, Pro, & Security Suite).
>>
>> PS: If any of the above were running in the background when you installed
>> IE7, you may have worse problems.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Kevin wrote:
>>> Win XP SP3
>>> IE 7
>>>
>>> I just recently took the plunge and installed IE 7. So far I like it.
>>>
>>> One weirdness though is that the order of the folders that I set up on
>>> my
>>> Links bar keeps changing.
>>>
>>> I arrange the folders on the Links bar to the order in which I want them
>>> but
>>> then, if I reboot or sometime if I just close IE and reopen IE later,
>>> the
>>> order that the folders were arranged in changes. It's a little
>>> annoying.
>>>
>>> Locking the toolbars does indeed lock the toolbars but has no effect on
>>> keeping the folders in order.
>>>
>>> Does anyone have any workaround for locking down the order in which the
>>> folders appear on the Links bar?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance for any insights.
>>>
>>> -Kevin

Kevin

Re: Links order
PA Bear,
I have the free version of AVG
Version number 8.0.175
Virus database version 270.9.9/1805
-Kevin
> What's the full name and version of this AVG application, Kevin? Is it a
> free or paid version? What VDB (virus database) version is showing in the
> UI?
>
> Is AVG Anti-Spyware still installed?
>
> Kevin wrote:
>> Thanks Robert and PA Bear,
>>
>> I disabled AVG anti virus, arranged my Links folders, also remembered an
>> old
>> FAQ about getting IE to remember it's last window size and position >
>> Hold
>> down Ctrl while closing IE with the "X"
>>
>> Rebooted and all the Links folders were right where I left them. I don't
>> know if it was AVG or the FAQ but the Links bar is behaving itself now.
>>
>> Thanks again.
>>
>> -Kevin

>>> One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
>>> applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These
>>> include but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, Spybot Tea Timer,
>>> SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG
>>> Anti-Spyware,
>>> Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone
>>> Alarm (Free, Pro, & Security Suite).
>>>
>>> PS: If any of the above were running in the background when you
>>> installed
>>> IE7, you may have worse problems.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Kevin

Re: Links order
Unfortunately the problem has returned again this afternoon. Not as
frequently though. Perhaps IE is "Learning" how I want the Links bar to be
set. Again this is not a real problem as far as I'm concerned, just a
little annoyance.

I certainly won't be returning to IE 6 over this.

> PA Bear,
> I have the free version of AVG
> Version number 8.0.175
> Virus database version 270.9.9/1805
> -Kevin
>> What's the full name and version of this AVG application, Kevin? Is it a
>> free or paid version? What VDB (virus database) version is showing in
>> the UI?
>>
>> Is AVG Anti-Spyware still installed?
>>
>> Kevin wrote:
>>> Thanks Robert and PA Bear,
>>>
>>> I disabled AVG anti virus, arranged my Links folders, also remembered an
>>> old
>>> FAQ about getting IE to remember it's last window size and position >
>>> Hold
>>> down Ctrl while closing IE with the "X"
>>>
>>> Rebooted and all the Links folders were right where I left them. I
>>> don't
>>> know if it was AVG or the FAQ but the Links bar is behaving itself now.
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>>
>>> -Kevin

Re: Links order
Thanks, I didn't think AVG Free AV would have been the culprit. Do you have
any of the other apps installed? Has a Norton or McAfee app ever been
installed (e.g., a free-trial version preinstalled on the machine when you
bought it)?

Kevin wrote:
> Unfortunately the problem has returned again this afternoon. Not as
> frequently though. Perhaps IE is "Learning" how I want the Links bar to
> be
> set. Again this is not a real problem as far as I'm concerned, just a
> little annoyance.
>
> I certainly won't be returning to IE 6 over this.

<snip>
>> PA Bear,
>> I have the free version of AVG
>> Version number 8.0.175
>> Virus database version 270.9.9/1805
>>
>>> What's the full name and version of this AVG application, Kevin? Is it
>>> free or paid version? What VDB (virus database) version is showing in
>>> the UI?
>>>
>>> Is AVG Anti-Spyware still installed?

Kevin

Re: Links order
PA Bear,
I have free Spybot Search & Destroy version 1.6.0 w/tea timer disabled -
never enabled.
I have free Ad-Aware 2008 w/latest definitions.

I don't think that either of the free versions of these programs operate in
real time so I can't really see them as the cause. Although Ad-Aware DOES
run as a service.

As far as Norton or McAfee goes... I haven't used either of their products
in many years. I grew very tired very quickly of my computer being dragged
to a halt every time I opened, cut, copied, pasted, burped, scratched, etc.

I built the machine myself, recently reformatted, so there are definitely no
remnants of any rogue programs.

AVG AV, Spybot and Ad-Aware is the extent of my security regimen. I keep my
Internet zone setting in IE set to High and my Trusted site zone set to
Medium High. Through the use of a little known IE 5 power tweak from
Microsoft, I can easily add sites to my Trusted zone from the Tools menu in
IE. This setup kept me safe for years without compromising the performance
of my machine.

BTW the IE 5 power tweak says that it's only for IE 5 but it not only works
in IE 6 but also works in IE 7.

-Kevin

> Thanks, I didn't think AVG Free AV would have been the culprit. Do you
> have any of the other apps installed? Has a Norton or McAfee app ever
> been installed (e.g., a free-trial version preinstalled on the machine
> when you bought it)?
>
> Kevin wrote:
>> Unfortunately the problem has returned again this afternoon. Not as
>> frequently though. Perhaps IE is "Learning" how I want the Links bar to
>> be
>> set. Again this is not a real problem as far as I'm concerned, just a
>> little annoyance.
>>
>> I certainly won't be returning to IE 6 over this.

> <snip>
>>> PA Bear,
>>> I have the free version of AVG
>>> Version number 8.0.175
>>> Virus database version 270.9.9/1805

Re: Links order
If you ever had Tea Timer enabled, make sure it's been fully disabled. See
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=32409

Ad-Aware 2008 (free) includes a real-time protection component
(aawservice.exe) which would be listed in Services [Start | Run | (type in)
services.msc | OK]. See if (1) Stopping this Service and (2) changing
Startup-type to Disabled has any affect.

Also try rebooting into Safe Mode before you change the order has any
affect.

NB: You're changing the order via the Links folder in Favorites Center
(ALT+C), right?

Also: If you neglected to disable all real-time protections (e.g., AVG AV;
the Ad-Aware service; Spybot Resident SDHelper) before you installed IE7,
that may explain this behavior.