Chat Box Disappears

rfische3

Chat Box Disappears
I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website. When
I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
split second, then disappears.

I have attempted the following:
- turned off pop-up blockers
- turned off the phishing filters
- held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link

My Security level is set at Medium-high.
My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
Leonard Grey

Re: Chat Box Disappears
It's hard to give accurate advice concerning an anonymous chat session
on an anonymous website, since no one can try to replicate your problem.
You haven't even told us what version of Windows you use.

Nonetheless, the following troubleshooting steps have proven successful
in the majority of instances of problems with IE 7:

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

rfische3 wrote:
> I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website. When
> I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
> split second, then disappears.
>
> I have attempted the following:
> - turned off pop-up blockers
> - turned off the phishing filters
> - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
>
> My Security level is set at Medium-high.
> My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Chat Box Disappears
posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

rfische3 wrote:
> I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website.
> When
> I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
> split second, then disappears.
>
> I have attempted the following:
> - turned off pop-up blockers
> - turned off the phishing filters
> - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
>
> My Security level is set at Medium-high.
> My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks.

rfische3

Re: Chat Box Disappears
Sorry for the lack of information.

I am running Windows XP SP3.

The website that I am attempting to open a chat session in is:

http://www.franklinplanner.com/fc/cu...hnical_support

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> posting to this newsgroup.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> rfische3 wrote:
> > I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website.
> > When
> > I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
> > split second, then disappears.
> >
> > I have attempted the following:
> > - turned off pop-up blockers
> > - turned off the phishing filters
> > - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
> >
> > My Security level is set at Medium-high.
> > My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks.

rfische3

Re: Chat Box Disappears
I tried the IE (No Add-Ons) with the same, unsuccessful results.

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> It's hard to give accurate advice concerning an anonymous chat session
> on an anonymous website, since no one can try to replicate your problem.
> You haven't even told us what version of Windows you use.
>
> Nonetheless, the following troubleshooting steps have proven successful
> in the majority of instances of problems with IE 7:
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>
> rfische3 wrote:
> > I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website. When
> > I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
> > split second, then disappears.
> >
> > I have attempted the following:
> > - turned off pop-up blockers
> > - turned off the phishing filters
> > - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
> >
> > My Security level is set at Medium-high.
> > My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks.

Leonard Grey

Re: Chat Box Disappears
Could your security software be preventing you from chatting?
---

rfische3 wrote:
> I tried the IE (No Add-Ons) with the same, unsuccessful results.
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> It's hard to give accurate advice concerning an anonymous chat session
>> on an anonymous website, since no one can try to replicate your problem.
>> You haven't even told us what version of Windows you use.
>>
>> Nonetheless, the following troubleshooting steps have proven successful
>> in the majority of instances of problems with IE 7:
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by by malicious
>> software ('malware') that has been installed on your computer.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine
>>
>> rfische3 wrote:
>>> I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website. When
>>> I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
>>> split second, then disappears.
>>>
>>> I have attempted the following:
>>> - turned off pop-up blockers
>>> - turned off the phishing filters
>>> - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
>>>
>>> My Security level is set at Medium-high.
>>> My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Chat Box Disappears
> The website that I am attempting to open a chat session in is:
>
> http://www.franklinplanner.com/fc/cu...hnical_support

That javascript pop-up link opens in a new window IE7 here (per my settings;
WinXP SP3) and I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Note that I have
not enabled cookies.

The link itself attempts to open a https://server.iad.liveperson.net
webpage.
in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?

Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

rfische3 wrote:
> Sorry for the lack of information.
>
> I am running Windows XP SP3.
>
> The website that I am attempting to open a chat session in is:
>
> http://www.franklinplanner.com/fc/cu...hnical_support
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
>> posting to this newsgroup.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> rfische3 wrote:
>>> I am using IE 7. I am attempting to open a chat session on a website.
>>> When
>>> I click on the link to open the chat session, the chat box pops up for a
>>> split second, then disappears.
>>>
>>> I have attempted the following:
>>> - turned off pop-up blockers
>>> - turned off the phishing filters
>>> - held the CNTL key down while clicking on the link
>>>
>>> My Security level is set at Medium-high.
>>> My Privacy setting is set at Medium High.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? Thanks.

rfische3

Re: Chat Box Disappears
To be honest, I don't which was installed first - IE7 or SP 3. I'm on a
company-owned PC. If I had to guess I'd say SP3 was installed first.

We have McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5.0i; Windows Defender; and Sybot -
Search & Destroy 1.4

I'm not aware of any firewall in addition to what the company has on their
servers.

I have no idea whether any applications were running in the background when
IE7 and/or SP3 were installed.

I reset IE7 Advanced settings and the problem still exists.

When I booted up in Safe Mode with Networking the chat box STAYED OPEN.

I have asked one of my collegues to try the chat session and he was
successful. We've compared settings, but we must have missed something.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> > The website that I am attempting to open a chat session in is:
> >
> > http://www.franklinplanner.com/fc/cu...hnical_support

> That javascript pop-up link opens in a new window IE7 here (per my settings;
> WinXP SP3) and I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error. Note that I have
> not enabled cookies.
>
> The link itself attempts to open a https://server.iad.liveperson.net
> webpage.
> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7 and/or SP3?
>
> Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?
>
> Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>
> rfische3 wrote:
> > Sorry for the lack of information.
> >
> > I am running Windows XP SP3.
> >
> > The website that I am attempting to open a chat session in is:
> >
> > http://www.franklinplanner.com/fc/cu...hnical_support
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista SP1) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/