small icons in favorites

Sammy Castagna

small icons in favorites
When I add a new site in favorites some sites have the small icons beside
thier name but disapear in time. I was what makes them go away. I have ie 6.

Sammy Castagna

Don Varnau

Re: small icons in favorites
Hi,
Favicons are kept in the Temporary Internet Files folder and are deleted
anytime the TIF is cleared. Are you, or is a security/privacy/cleaning
program, clearing the Temporary Internet Files folder?

These programs (freeware) will preserve favicons:
AM-Deadlink- Favicons: http://www.aignes.com/deadlink.htm
FavIconizer - The Code Project :
http://www.codeproject.com/tools/fav...arget=favicons
FavOrg http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm line 108

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Sammy Castagna" <sammycastagnahotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I add a new site in favorites some sites have the small icons beside
> thier name but disapear in time. I was what makes them go away. I have ie

6.

> Sammy Castagna

Donald Anadell

Re: small icons in favorites

"Sammy Castagna" <sammycastagnahotmail.com> wrote in message
> When I add a new site in favorites some sites have the small icons beside
> thier name but disapear in time. I was what makes them go away. I have ie
> 6.

Hi,

Refer to Don Varnau's reply for the reason why your favorite icons go
missing, he also posted some links to third party software(s) that will help
you stabilize this issue. If you'd rather control this yourself without the
aid of third party software, here are some steps that will accommodate
controlling it manually.

Step (1)

Create a new folder on your hard drive for storing Favorite Icons:

The first step for manually controlling your Favorite Icons is to create a
new Folder on your hard drive for storing them, for purposes of this
discussion we will name this new folder "My Favorite Icons"

Step (2)

Methods for collecting Favorite Icons:

1. You can procure them from of the Temporary Internet Files folder and
copy them to a newly created "My Favorite Icons" folder. Once you've
copied them to the newly created "My Favorite Icons" folder you can then
rename them to a name of your choosing, just make sure you retain the .ico
file extension.

2. You can create your own Favorite Icons by using an Image Editing
program, there are many Tutorials on the Internet on how to do this. Here
are basic specifications for creating your own Favorite Icon:

a. It must be 16 pixels X 16 pixels
b. It must be created as 24 bit color
c. It must be saved as an icon file with a .ico extension on the file
d. It must be saved to a dedicated Folder on your hard drive, in this
example, the "My Favorite Icons" folder.

3. You can download pre-made Favorite Icons from the Internet, again, a
simple Google search should return many sites that offer such pre-made
Favorite Icons.

Step(3)

Once you have your collection of Favorite Icons in your newly created folder
"My Favorite Icons" follow these steps for giving your Favorites a new
permanent icon:

1. Right-click on a Favorite and choose Properties.
2. On the Web Document tab of the Properties dialog box, click on the
"Change Icon..." button and browse to the newly created "My Favorite Icons"
folder to select one of the icons you have placed in that folder.
3. On the General tab of the Properties dialog box, checkmark the Read-only
attribute so nothing can change this icon choice you've made.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

> Sammy Castagna

Sammy Castagna

Re: small icons in favorites
Donald and Don,
Yes I am guilty. I have IE set to clear temp internet folder when I close
the browser. Thank you for the response and the info.

Sammy