IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7

crs

IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
A little info first:
O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 - fully up-to-date
IE Version: 7.0.6000.16735

A few days ago I decided to update Windows XP Pro on my computer. I
logged on to the Windows update site and it told me there were about
50 critical updates that I needed. I decided to do this and also
upgraded to xpsp3. After installing these updates, my computer would
not boot at all. I inserted the original XP PRO SP2 disk and repaired
the installation. After this, my computer booted up with no problems,
but it reverted back to ie6. I went back to the Windows update site
and downloaded ie7. After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
quit working. When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
a second and then nothing happens. Also, Internet Settings is not
available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
"rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".

I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
installing, but no luck. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
appreciated.

I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other
programs on my system.

Thanks in advance,

CRS
crs

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
On Nov 21, 12:52*am, crs <claytonrst...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A little info first:
> O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 - fully up-to-date
> IE Version: 7.0.6000.16735
>
> A few days ago I decided to update Windows XP Pro on my computer. *I
> logged on to the Windows update site and it told me there were about
> 50 critical updates that I needed. *I decided to do this and also
> upgraded to xpsp3. *After installing these updates, my computer would
> not boot at all. *I inserted the original XP PRO SP2 disk and repaired
> the installation. *After this, my computer booted up with no problems,
> but it reverted back to ie6. *I went back to the Windows update site
> and downloaded ie7. *After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
> quit working. *When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
> a second and then nothing happens. *Also, Internet Settings is not
> available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
> the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
> "rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
> located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".
>
> I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
> solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
> installing, but no luck. *If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other
> programs on my system.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> CRS

Another thing:

If I open a "windows explorer" window and type a web address in the
address bar, it will open the site with internet explorer, but it is
ie6 not ie7, even though I clearly have ie7 installed. When the site
opens and I try to click on "Tools/Internet Options" it tells me that
there are restrictions that prevent me from opening the "options"
page.

Just thought that may be important.

Thanks again,

CRS
Leonard Grey

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
If it's really true that you "have read every message board [you] could
find and tried numerous solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to
uninstalling and re-installing, but no luck" then what more do you
expect anyone here to say? The only thing left for you is to erase your
hard disk and start over.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

crs wrote:
> A little info first:
> O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 - fully up-to-date
> IE Version: 7.0.6000.16735
>
> A few days ago I decided to update Windows XP Pro on my computer. I
> logged on to the Windows update site and it told me there were about
> 50 critical updates that I needed. I decided to do this and also
> upgraded to xpsp3. After installing these updates, my computer would
> not boot at all. I inserted the original XP PRO SP2 disk and repaired
> the installation. After this, my computer booted up with no problems,
> but it reverted back to ie6. I went back to the Windows update site
> and downloaded ie7. After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
> quit working. When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
> a second and then nothing happens. Also, Internet Settings is not
> available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
> the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
> "rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
> located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".
>
> I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
> solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
> installing, but no luck. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
> appreciated.
>
> I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other
> programs on my system.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> CRS

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
We could've saved you a lot of grief if you'd posted here before doing the
Repair Install.

> A few days ago I decided to update Windows XP Pro on my computer. I
> logged on to the Windows update site and it told me there were about
> 50 critical updates that I needed. I decided to do this and also
> upgraded to xpsp3.

Why in the world were you 50 critical updates behind? Had/have you disabled
Automatic Updates? If so, why? Hopefully you installed WinXP SP3 first.

> ...After installing these updates, my computer would
> not boot at all.

Would it boot in Safe Mode?

in the background when you installed WinXP SP3? See

Are you aware that there's free unlimited installation and compatibility
support available for Windows XP, but only for Service Pack 3 (SP3), until
14 Apr-09? Go to http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?gprid=1173 |
select "Windows XP" then select "Windows XP Service Pack 3"

> ...I inserted the original XP PRO SP2 disk and repaired
> the installation. After this, my computer booted up with no problems,
> but it reverted back to ie6. I went back to the Windows update site
> and downloaded ie7. After [installing] ie7, it (internet explorer)
> quit working.

<cough> Was IE6 working before you installed IE7?

How to perform a repair installation of Windows XP if Internet Explorer 7 is
installed
<QP>
Before you perform a repair installation of Microsoft Windows XP, you must
uninstall Microsoft Internet Explorer 7 from the Windows XP-based computer.
If you perform a repair installation of Windows XP when Internet Explorer 7
is still installed, Internet Explorer will not work after the repair is
completed.
</QP>
Source: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917964

But since you'd apparently installed IE7 before you installed WinXP SP3,
it's more complicated than that:

<QP>
Windows XP SP3 contains a newer version of the Internet Explorer 6 files. If
you have XPSP3 on your system and uninstall IE7, your system would revert to
the backed up (older) version of the IE6 files rather than the newer XPSP3
version. You would end up in a mixed file state in Windows where most files
would be the upgraded XPSP3, except for the IE6 files restored when
uninstalling IE7. This state is not supported and is very bug prone....If
you must uninstall IE7 after you have upgraded to XPSP3, then you have to
first uninstall XPSP3, and then uninstall IE7...
</QP>
Source: http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx

Per the above, if the Repair Install was going to fix all of your problems
you would have had to uninstall WinXP SP3 and then IE7 before doing the
Repair Install.

Sorry to tell you this but a format & clean install is your only recourse
now. Good luck!
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

On Nov 21, 2:14*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> > but it reverted back to ie6. *I went back to the Windows update site
> > and downloaded ie7. *After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
> > quit working. *When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
> > a second and then nothing happens. *Also, Internet Settings is not
> > available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
> > the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
> > "rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
> > located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".

> > I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
> > solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
> > installing, but no luck. *If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
> > appreciated.

> > I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other

My many thanks Mr. Dyer. Very informative and well stated. I did
uninstall SP3 before the repair but I did not remove ie7. I realized
about half-way thru the repair of XPSP2 that I may have made a
mistake. Since the only thing on my C drive is my o/s, a format and
clean install won't be too much trouble.
Again thanks for the information.

On Nov 21, 1:17*am, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> If it's really true that you "have read every message board [you] could
> find and tried numerous solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to
> uninstalling and re-installing, but no luck" then what more do you
> expect anyone here to say? The only thing left for you is to erase your
> hard disk and start over.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazinehttp://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2334856,00.asp
>
> crs wrote:
> > A little info first:
> > O/S: Windows XP Pro Service Pack 3 - fully up-to-date
> > IE Version: 7.0.6000.16735

> > A few days ago I decided to update Windows XP Pro on my computer. *I
> > logged on to the Windows update site and it told me there were about
> > 50 critical updates that I needed. *I decided to do this and also
> > upgraded to xpsp3. *After installing these updates, my computer would
> > not boot at all. *I inserted the original XP PRO SP2 disk and repaired
> > the installation. *After this, my computer booted up with no problems,
> > but it reverted back to ie6. *I went back to the Windows update site
> > and downloaded ie7. *After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
> > quit working. *When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
> > a second and then nothing happens. *Also, Internet Settings is not
> > available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
> > the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
> > "rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
> > located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".

> > I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
> > solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
> > installing, but no luck. *If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
> > appreciated.

> > I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other
> > programs on my system.

> > Thanks in advance,

> > CRS

Mr. Gray,

I decided to make one post on my own that described the problem I was
having. Of all of the other posts I've read, I haven't read one that
described my problem exactly, several were close, but not exactly.
Just thought I'd give it one shot by making my own post before I went
thru with the format/clean install.

Blessings and Good-day,

CRS
Kayman

On Fri, 21 Nov 2008 05:46:06 -0800 (PST), crs wrote:

> I decided to make one post on my own that described the problem I was
> having. Of all of the other posts I've read, I haven't read one that
> described my problem exactly, several were close, but not exactly.
> Just thought I'd give it one shot by making my own post before I went
> thru with the format/clean install.
> Blessings and Good-day,

There are those who have a miserable existence; Their lonely desire to be
noticed has no bounds. Newsgroups are ideal for these sorry individuals to
exercise their imaginary supremacy; We're all supposed to be impressed, oh
well.

Why don't you call a spade a spade?
It's nothing wrong to be outspoken, blunt when replying to arrogant

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
You're welcome & thanks for your feedback.

Reposts:

crs wrote:
> [...]

>>> but it reverted back to ie6. I went back to the Windows update site
>>> and downloaded ie7. After downloading ie7, it (internet explorer)
>>> quit working. When I try to open ie7, the hourglass appears for just
>>> a second and then nothing happens. Also, Internet Settings is not
>>> available in the control panel and if I right click on the ie7 icon on
>>> the desktop and click "Properties", an error appears that says
>>> "rundll32.exe - ordinal not found, the ordinal 237 could not be
>>> located in the dynamic link library IEFRAME.dll".

>>> I have read every message board I could find and tried numerous
>>> solutions, from starting ie with no addons, to uninstalling and re-
>>> installing, but no luck. If anyone has any ideas, they would be much
>>> appreciated.

>>> I haven't found any problems out of the ordinary with any other

TheOCaptain

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
PA Bear:
I have the same problem as stated by MS MVP. I did not arrive at the same
point via the same means, although similar. IE6 works correctly, as does IE8
betas. (The main problem is that the IE8 betas do not work correctly with
other software, like McAfee, Again, it seems the problem of MS putting
something out to the general populaton before it is tested more.)
I had IE7 before the betas and SP3. I can go back to IE6, after uninstalling
IE7, even with SP3 installed. I can upgrade IE6 to IE8 betas and IE works,
but not with some software.
If some IE files in SP3 are different than the IE files in SP2, is there
someone who has these original files? And if so, why can't one download and
replace the changed files, so we can get back to IE7?And why doesn't
uninstalling SP3 put the files back to the IE7 state? (Again, it sounds like
a BIG MS goof!)
Any ideas? I like IE7 and would like to be able to use it, even though IE8
seems stable (except for the compatitability issues.)
You seem to me one of the most knowledgeable posters here and your response
would be respected.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> the backed up (older) version of the IE6 files rather than the newer
> >> XPSP3
> >> version. You would end up in a mixed file state in Windows where most
> >> files
> >> would be the upgraded XPSP3, except for the IE6 files restored when
> >> uninstalling IE7. This state is not supported and is very bug prone....If
> >> you must uninstall IE7 after you have upgraded to XPSP3, then you have to
> >> first uninstall XPSP3, and then uninstall IE7...
> >> </QP>
> >> Source:http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/200...and-xpsp3.aspx
> >>
> >> Per the above, if the Repair Install was going to fix all of your
> >> problems
> >> you would have had to uninstall WinXP SP3 and then IE7 before doing the
> >> Repair Install.
> >>
> >> Sorry to tell you this but a format & clean install is your only recourse

TheOCaptain

Re: IE doesn't load after upgrade to version 7
Also: When checking processes after upgrading to IE8 betas, I have two IE
processes running at the same time. Ending one or the other closes both of
them.