Did Microsoft push through an IE update...

Morgan Wick

Did Microsoft push through an IE update...
....without my even being able to find out by looking at the Microsoft Update
list? (I do have an update listed for today but it appears to be for
Microsoft Update itself.)

Because when I look at the feeds list, folders are no longer turning bold
when feeds within them are updated. A tooltip doesn't even pop up when I
mouse over them, let alone one that tells me how many new items are in all
the feeds.

This could also be because, basically twice in a row, I attempted to put my
computer in hibernate mode and it stalled on the "preparing to hibernate"
screen (a preexisting problem I've complained about before in other
newsgroups as well as the Dell forums), without my being able to look at most
of the feeds, but I have plenty of evidence that's unlikely (for example,
folders with feeds I haven't looked at in ages if ever are no longer bold,
the lack of a tooltip, the fact I don't know how to restore normal behavior -
and I've tried normal rebooting, reopening IE, creating replacement folders,
etc.).

It could also be because of spyware or viruses, except it does have one
beneficial effect: a feed of mine that I had set to keep more than 200 items
was never turning bold when it was updated, and in fact was not showing how
many new items it had, staying constant at "0 new". Now it is working
normally. But if Microsoft pushed through an update to solve this issue,
please be advised that for me, it was minor and is outweighed by the new
problem because the feed in question was in a folder, and I could tell when
it was updated because the folder was bold and none of the other feeds were.
(Or I could compare the number of updated items in all the other feeds to the
number in the folder.)

But most of the feeds I have are in folders, and in fact Microsoft, if I
recall correctly, seems to be partly counting on your use of folders to
organize feeds because the feed panel comes with two feeds in a "Microsoft
Feeds" folder when you install IE7. I like to be able to look at the feed
panel and see at a glance when feeds are updated, even on a
category-by-category basis. I don't think it's particularly feasible for me
to stop using folders, as I subscribe to over 50 feeds and that's just the
ones I pay attention to.

If this is an unfortunate side effect of an update (and again, every theory
I've considered has problems so it may very well not be), let it be known
that anyone who may have a problem with a feed that never lights up could at
least try stowing it in an eponymous or otherwise fitting folder. At the very
least I should have the ability to get rid of this "update" if it is an
update and use IE7's feed reader the way that works best for me. And - again,
if this is indeed an update - I hope Microsoft comes out with another one
that can solve one problem without causing the other, with all due speed. (Or
should I switch to Firefox for everything except Outlook Web Access?)

If it's not an update, I'd like advice on how to restore normal behavior
(well, at least the status quo ante), with minimal disruption if possible.

Re: Did Microsoft push through an IE update...
posting to this newsgroup.

The last IE update was released on 14 October 2008. Is Automatic Updates
enabled? Has it been abled all along?

> (I do have an update listed for today but it appears to be for
> Microsoft Update itself.)

Huh? What update are you referring to?

> Because when I look at the feeds list, folders are no longer turning bold
> when feeds within them are updated. A tooltip doesn't even pop up when I
> mouse over them, let alone one that tells me how many new items are in all
> the feeds.

See
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...et-explorer-7/
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Morgan Wick wrote:
> [...]
> at
> least try stowing it in an eponymous or otherwise fitting folder. At the
> very least I should have the ability to get rid of this "update" if it is
> an
> update and use IE7's feed reader the way that works best for me. And -
> again, if this is indeed an update - I hope Microsoft comes out with
> another one that can solve one problem without causing the other, with all
> due speed. (Or should I switch to Firefox for everything except Outlook
> Web
> Access?)
>
> If it's not an update, I'd like advice on how to restore normal behavior
> (well, at least the status quo ante), with minimal disruption if possible.

Morgan Wick

Re: Did Microsoft push through an IE update...
Linked suggestion worked! Thx

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> > that anyone who may have a problem with a feed that never lights up could
> > at
> > least try stowing it in an eponymous or otherwise fitting folder. At the
> > very least I should have the ability to get rid of this "update" if it is
> > an
> > update and use IE7's feed reader the way that works best for me. And -
> > again, if this is indeed an update - I hope Microsoft comes out with
> > another one that can solve one problem without causing the other, with all
> > due speed. (Or should I switch to Firefox for everything except Outlook
> > Web
> > Access?)
> >
> > If it's not an update, I'd like advice on how to restore normal behavior
> > (well, at least the status quo ante), with minimal disruption if possible.

Re: Did Microsoft push through an IE update...
YW