Unalble to run ftp url with Vista

Pat

Unalble to run ftp url with Vista
I have a vista and it will not open an ftp url other urls will open but this
one will not.
ftp://qaenguser3ople@65.38.22.229 I have contacted Cox who is my provider
and they have the same prob. Recomended that I contact Windows but I dont
want to spend $59 and not have my prob solved. XP opens the url with not
probs but I dont have XP. Could someone help me
Peter Foldes

Re: Unalble to run ftp url with Vista
My Vista Home an Ultimate opens that URL below here

ftp://qaenguser3ople@65.38.22.229

--
Peter

"Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:EF11F067-0A55-4322-BAD1-F13ADBFBE661@microsoft.com...
>I have a vista and it will not open an ftp url other urls will open but this
> one will not.
> ftp://qaenguser3ople@65.38.22.229 I have contacted Cox who is my provider
> and they have the same prob. Recomended that I contact Windows but I dont
> want to spend $59 and not have my prob solved. XP opens the url with not
> probs but I dont have XP. Could someone help me

VanguardLH

Pat wrote:

> I have a vista and it will not open an ftp url other urls will open but this
> one will not.
> ftp://qaenguser3ople@65.38.22.229 I have contacted Cox who is my provider
> and they have the same prob. Recomended that I contact Windows but I dont
> want to spend $59 and not have my prob solved. XP opens the url with not
> probs but I dont have XP. Could someone help me

Since this is someone's home computer running a publicly accessible FTP
server (probably a violation of their ISP's TOS), maybe their computer
was powered off, they were busy playing a game, it's sitting with a blue
screen error, or otherwise their host unavailable. I'm sure they
appreciate you divulging the login credentials in public (rolls eyes).

By the way, at the time that I tested, I also could not connect to this
site using FTP - and I'm using Windows XP Pro but it was when trying to
use IE as an FTP client. So it is not a problem due to which OS you are
using. But then that was testing with IE as an FTP client, something IE
is not well equipped to handle even if you switch between passive FTP
mode or not in its advanced options. IE is *not* and FTP client by
design.

Don't be using Internet Explorer as an FTP client. One, Microsoft
eliminated the login credentials portion of the URL since they violate
RFCs regarding the proper format for the FTP URL scheme. You'll notice
that IE will drop the login credentials. Instead use a real FTP client,
like SmartFTP or FileZilla, enter the IP address, and specify the login
credentials. Hell, you could use ftp.exe in a DOS shell as the FTP
client where you run "ftp 65.38.22.229" and then enter the login
credentials that you exposed here. When I used ftp.exe, I connected
okay and could enter the login credentials to get in and access the
files (an "ls" command worked after login).

So is this Tulsa Connect customer actually paying for a static IP
address so the FTP URL will continue to work? If that customer is
getting a dynamically assigned IP address, it will change which means
everyone that has the old URL will be trying to connect to an IP address
that has not yet been allocated or is then allocated to some other
customer at that same ISP. If that customer wants to keep the URL
constant while also not requiring the use of an IP address and instead
use a hostname then have them look into using DynDNS.com or No-IP.org.
That way, their hostname remains the same regardless of what dynamic IP
address they happen to have at the time.
grandfinalemike@gmail.com

On Nov 20 2008, 4:41*pm, VanguardLH <V...@nguard.LH> wrote:
> Pat wrote:
> > I have a vista and it will not open an ftp url other urls will open butthis
> > one will not.
> > ftp://qaenguser3o...@65.38.22.229 I have contacted Cox who is my provider
> > and they have the same prob. Recomended that I contact Windows but I dont
> > want to spend $59 and not have my prob solved. XP opens the url with not
> > probs but I dont have XP. Could someone help me

> Since this is someone's home computer running a publicly accessible FTP
> server (probably a violation of their ISP's TOS), maybe their computer
> was powered off, they were busy playing a game, it's sitting with a blue
> screen error, or otherwise their host unavailable. *I'm sure they
> appreciate you divulging the login credentials in public (rolls eyes).
>
> By the way, at the time that I tested, I also could not connect to this
> site using FTP - and I'm using Windows XP Pro but it was when trying to
> use IE as an FTP client. *So it is not a problem due to which OS you are
> using. *But then that was testing with IE as an FTP client, something IE
> is not well equipped to handle even if you switch between passive FTP
> mode or not in its advanced options. *IE is *not* and FTP client by
> design.
>
> Don't be using Internet Explorer as an FTP client. *One, Microsoft
> eliminated the login credentials portion of the URL since they violate
> RFCs regarding the proper format for the FTP URL scheme. *You'll notice
> that IE will drop the login credentials. *Instead use a real FTP client,
> like SmartFTP or FileZilla, enter the IP address, and specify the login
> credentials. *Hell, you could use ftp.exe in a DOS shell as the FTP
> client where you run "ftp 65.38.22.229" and then enter the login
> credentials that you exposed here. *When I used ftp.exe, I connected
> okay and could enter the login credentials to get in and access the
> files (an "ls" command worked after login).
>
> So is this Tulsa Connect customer actually paying for a static IP
> address so the FTP URL will continue to work? *If that customer is
> getting a dynamically assigned IP address, it will change which means
> everyone that has the old URL will be trying to connect to an IP address
> that has not yet been allocated or is then allocated to some other
> customer at that same ISP. *If that customer wants to keep the URL
> constant while also not requiring the use of an IP address and instead
> use a hostname then have them look into using DynDNS.com or No-IP.org.
> That way, their hostname remains the same regardless of what dynamic IP
> address they happen to have at the time.

Once you place the ftp site in the IE address bar and the blank window
appears, click on 'Page / Open FTP site in Windows Explorer'
You will possibly get the "Allow / Deny" box, but, once you click
through, you will see the ftp site listed just like any explorer
window.

that should do it.