IE will not start - Runtime error

JayBuck

IE will not start - Runtime error
I keep getting the following error on my Vista home machine - Runtime error
will not let IE load and closes. My Hubby was up late last night and somehow
downloaded something that had a trojan in it which I think attacked IE. I've
downloaded the IE application file from the website from work, and will
reinstall tonight, but can anyone tell me what happened, and what I need to
warn him to look for? He was trying to get a Logging program for Ham Radio
interface. When he got me up to look at the computer there were two spyware
programs running in the background that we did not install (I run Webroot and
Avast) doing scans - that I stopped. Avast spotted the trojan and we deleted
it. Anyone have any ideas what he did? Thanks!!
--
Jay :0)
Kayman

Re: IE will not start - Runtime error
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 04:59:01 -0800, JayBuck wrote:

> I keep getting the following error on my Vista home machine - Runtime error
> will not let IE load and closes. My Hubby was up late last night and somehow
> downloaded something that had a trojan in it which I think attacked IE. I've
> downloaded the IE application file from the website from work, and will
> reinstall tonight, but can anyone tell me what happened, and what I need to
> warn him to look for? He was trying to get a Logging program for Ham Radio
> interface. When he got me up to look at the computer there were two spyware
> programs running in the background that we did not install (I run Webroot and
> Avast) doing scans - that I stopped. Avast spotted the trojan and we deleted
> it. Anyone have any ideas what he did? Thanks!!

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Delete files using Disk Cleanup (if on Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...139d91033.mspx

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and/or--
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and/or--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system.
Re: K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an update
feature, keep them installed in addtion to your resident AV/A-S
applications and scan frequently.

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Start your computer in safe mode (Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Additional references:
How to optimize or reset Internet Explorer 7
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936213
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck
silver hair

RE: IE will not start - Runtime error
Hi
System Restore back to before this happen should fix this
as recommended by Kayman
Malwarebytes and SuperAntispyware are good the find Stuff

--
lucky me I guess