Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond

md

Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Noticing a rash of users in this forum discuss how IE 7 is suddenly
freezing, not responding or not working in recent weeks. Problem seems
most common on Vista, but appears on XP, too. Getting the same problem
myself on both a Dell desktop and Compaq laptop running Vista SP1.
Problem often appears when using multiple tabs in IE and/or when
closing the IE window. Flash 9 caused freezes too, but it appears more
common with Flash 10. Sometimes the freezes are blatant -- and result
in a pop-up error. Other times the freezes are over in a second or two
-- and you only see the error if you check Vista's Performance
monitoring tools. And it's not just IE. Users are reporting freezes
with other browsers like Firefox and Safari.

For what it's worth, been able to stop the behavior in IE by disabling
Flash. This is done by using Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable
Add-ons and highlighting Flash and disabling. If you really need
Flash, you can open a fresh IE window and enable Flash temporarily and
disable it when you're done. Clearly, this is more of a crude
workaround than a solution, since Flash is so common on the Web and
actually required by some Web sites.

This issue is being vigorously discussed at Adobe's online forum,
including here:
http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y

There is still no solution, though. Unfortunately, some users assume
the issue is with IE -- and direct the blame to the incorrect party.
Hopefully this issue can be dealt with. In the meantime, does anyone
know of a better workaround than just enabling Flash when it's
absolutely needed?
Tony Linguini

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Same problem here.
"md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Noticing a rash of users in this forum discuss how IE 7 is suddenly
> freezing, not responding or not working in recent weeks. Problem seems
> most common on Vista, but appears on XP, too. Getting the same problem
> myself on both a Dell desktop and Compaq laptop running Vista SP1.
> Problem often appears when using multiple tabs in IE and/or when
> closing the IE window. Flash 9 caused freezes too, but it appears more
> common with Flash 10. Sometimes the freezes are blatant -- and result
> in a pop-up error. Other times the freezes are over in a second or two
> -- and you only see the error if you check Vista's Performance
> monitoring tools. And it's not just IE. Users are reporting freezes
> with other browsers like Firefox and Safari.
>
> For what it's worth, been able to stop the behavior in IE by disabling
> Flash. This is done by using Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable
> Add-ons and highlighting Flash and disabling. If you really need
> Flash, you can open a fresh IE window and enable Flash temporarily and
> disable it when you're done. Clearly, this is more of a crude
> workaround than a solution, since Flash is so common on the Web and
> actually required by some Web sites.
>
> This issue is being vigorously discussed at Adobe's online forum,
> including here:
> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y
>
> There is still no solution, though. Unfortunately, some users assume
> the issue is with IE -- and direct the blame to the incorrect party.
> Hopefully this issue can be dealt with. In the meantime, does anyone
> know of a better workaround than just enabling Flash when it's
> absolutely needed?

Juan Kerr

"Tony Linguini" <pccarguy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Same problem here.
> "md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Noticing a rash of users in this forum discuss how IE 7 is suddenly
>> freezing, not responding or not working in recent weeks. Problem seems
>> most common on Vista, but appears on XP, too. Getting the same problem
>> myself on both a Dell desktop and Compaq laptop running Vista SP1.
>> Problem often appears when using multiple tabs in IE and/or when
>> closing the IE window. Flash 9 caused freezes too, but it appears more
>> common with Flash 10. Sometimes the freezes are blatant -- and result
>> in a pop-up error. Other times the freezes are over in a second or two
>> -- and you only see the error if you check Vista's Performance
>> monitoring tools. And it's not just IE. Users are reporting freezes
>> with other browsers like Firefox and Safari.
>>
>> For what it's worth, been able to stop the behavior in IE by disabling
>> Flash. This is done by using Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable
>> Add-ons and highlighting Flash and disabling. If you really need
>> Flash, you can open a fresh IE window and enable Flash temporarily and
>> disable it when you're done. Clearly, this is more of a crude
>> workaround than a solution, since Flash is so common on the Web and
>> actually required by some Web sites.
>>
>> This issue is being vigorously discussed at Adobe's online forum,
>> including here:
>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y
>>
>> There is still no solution, though. Unfortunately, some users assume
>> the issue is with IE -- and direct the blame to the incorrect party.
>> Hopefully this issue can be dealt with. In the meantime, does anyone
>> know of a better workaround than just enabling Flash when it's
>> absolutely needed?

Very annoying, and posted too late for me.
I had to reinstall one complete Vista system after playing around for a few
days with this problem.
Flash 10 completely (it now seems) locked IE7 on opening a second tab, or
clicking a link on any page.
Annoyingly, it did the same in the "no addons" version as well.

I am now using Toggle Flash (freeware addon for IE7) quite sucessfully:
http://flash.melameth.com/

Jim Volstad

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
I too am having IE 7 freeze up on my Vista machine. I downloaded the latest
version of FireFox. Wow. What a great browser!!! No more freeze ups.

"Tony Linguini" <pccarguy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Same problem here.
> "md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Noticing a rash of users in this forum discuss how IE 7 is suddenly
>> freezing, not responding or not working in recent weeks. Problem seems
>> most common on Vista, but appears on XP, too. Getting the same problem
>> myself on both a Dell desktop and Compaq laptop running Vista SP1.
>> Problem often appears when using multiple tabs in IE and/or when
>> closing the IE window. Flash 9 caused freezes too, but it appears more
>> common with Flash 10. Sometimes the freezes are blatant -- and result
>> in a pop-up error. Other times the freezes are over in a second or two
>> -- and you only see the error if you check Vista's Performance
>> monitoring tools. And it's not just IE. Users are reporting freezes
>> with other browsers like Firefox and Safari.
>>
>> For what it's worth, been able to stop the behavior in IE by disabling
>> Flash. This is done by using Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable
>> Add-ons and highlighting Flash and disabling. If you really need
>> Flash, you can open a fresh IE window and enable Flash temporarily and
>> disable it when you're done. Clearly, this is more of a crude
>> workaround than a solution, since Flash is so common on the Web and
>> actually required by some Web sites.
>>
>> This issue is being vigorously discussed at Adobe's online forum,
>> including here:
>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y
>>
>> There is still no solution, though. Unfortunately, some users assume
>> the issue is with IE -- and direct the blame to the incorrect party.
>> Hopefully this issue can be dealt with. In the meantime, does anyone
>> know of a better workaround than just enabling Flash when it's
>> absolutely needed?

Leonard Grey

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Running away from your problems won't solve them, Jim. What will you do
when you can't get Firefox to work properly? I guess there's always
Opera, or Safari.
---
Leonard Grey
Packin' the 'K'

Jim Volstad wrote:
> I too am having IE 7 freeze up on my Vista machine. I downloaded the
> latest version of FireFox. Wow. What a great browser!!! No more
> freeze ups.
>

> "Tony Linguini" <pccarguy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Same problem here.
>> "md" <mdkrantz@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Noticing a rash of users in this forum discuss how IE 7 is suddenly
>>> freezing, not responding or not working in recent weeks. Problem seems
>>> most common on Vista, but appears on XP, too. Getting the same problem
>>> myself on both a Dell desktop and Compaq laptop running Vista SP1.
>>> Problem often appears when using multiple tabs in IE and/or when
>>> closing the IE window. Flash 9 caused freezes too, but it appears more
>>> common with Flash 10. Sometimes the freezes are blatant -- and result
>>> in a pop-up error. Other times the freezes are over in a second or two
>>> -- and you only see the error if you check Vista's Performance
>>> monitoring tools. And it's not just IE. Users are reporting freezes
>>> with other browsers like Firefox and Safari.
>>>
>>> For what it's worth, been able to stop the behavior in IE by disabling
>>> Flash. This is done by using Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable
>>> Add-ons and highlighting Flash and disabling. If you really need
>>> Flash, you can open a fresh IE window and enable Flash temporarily and
>>> disable it when you're done. Clearly, this is more of a crude
>>> workaround than a solution, since Flash is so common on the Web and
>>> actually required by some Web sites.
>>>
>>> This issue is being vigorously discussed at Adobe's online forum,
>>> including here:
>>> http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y
>>>

>>> There is still no solution, though. Unfortunately, some users assume
>>> the issue is with IE -- and direct the blame to the incorrect party.
>>> Hopefully this issue can be dealt with. In the meantime, does anyone
>>> know of a better workaround than just enabling Flash when it's
>>> absolutely needed?

Jim Volstad

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Maybe they will get it right with IE 8. Stranger things have happened.....
:-)

> Running away from your problems won't solve them, Jim. What will you do
> when you can't get Firefox to work properly? I guess there's always Opera,
> or Safari.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Packin' the 'K'
>
> Jim Volstad wrote:
>> I too am having IE 7 freeze up on my Vista machine. I downloaded the
>> latest version of FireFox. Wow. What a great browser!!! No more freeze
>> ups.
>>

>> "Tony Linguini" <pccarguy@nospam.hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> Same problem here.

Leonard Grey

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Or maybe you'll get it right...that's also a possibility. Then you can
join the rest of us whose browsers don't freeze.
---
Leonard Grey
Packin' the 'K'

Jim Volstad wrote:
> Maybe they will get it right with IE 8. Stranger things have
> happened..... :-)

>> Running away from your problems won't solve them, Jim. What will you
>> do when you can't get Firefox to work properly? I guess there's always
>> Opera, or Safari.
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Packin' the 'K'
>>
>> Jim Volstad wrote:
>>> I too am having IE 7 freeze up on my Vista machine. I downloaded the
>>> latest version of FireFox. Wow. What a great browser!!! No more
>>> freeze ups.

Re: Is Flash 10 causing Internet Explorer to freeze and not respond
Well, FF isn't part of Windows, is it? And the bulk of your Add-ons don't
load in FF, do they?