FTP in IE

Jensen

FTP in IE
Here is my challenge… I’m trying to put together an Excel spreadsheet with
links to photographs on my FTP site. The address of one photo, for example,
is: ftp://dealer:wooden@woodenmallet.com/AC/AC12-1-lo.tif/

When I copy and paste this address into Windows Explorer, it automatically
downloads the photo - SO SLICK!!! - which is exactly what I want to happen…
but, when I try to select the link from the Excel spreadsheet, it gives me an
error.

Any suggestions?
Robert Aldwinckle

Re: FTP in IE

"Jensen" <Jensen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:49052AE5-850F-4244-9751-D18A93C22E88@microsoft.com...
> Here is my challenge. I'm trying to put together an Excel spreadsheet with
> links to photographs on my FTP site. The address of one photo, for example,
> is: ftp://dealer:wooden@woodenmallet.com/AC/AC12-1-lo.tif/
>
> When I copy and paste this address into Windows Explorer, it automatically
> downloads the photo - SO SLICK!!! - which is exactly what I want to happen.
> but, when I try to select the link from the Excel spreadsheet,

> it gives me an error.
>

> Any suggestions?

Be more specific with your symptom description. ; }

Jensen

Re: FTP in IE
I figured it out... I was missing part of the address...
VanguardLH

Re: FTP in IE
Jensen wrote:

> ftp://dealer:wooden@woodenmallet.com/AC/AC12-1-lo.tif/

Inclusion of the login credentials violates RFCs regarding the proper
syntax for the FTP URL scheme. Don't rely on it working. In my case,
IE7 will strip out the login credentials in the invalid FTP URL which
means I cannot login using that invalid URL. To get to your picture, I
would have to use ftp://woodenmallet.com, enter the login credentials
(that you disclosed here), and then navigate the path to the picture.
However, the AC directory is not included in a directory listing so
navigation isn't possible. Since that directory is not available, I'm
not sure how your URL would ever work: the parameters portion of the URL
is to provide the directory navigation to the file but the AC directory
doesn't exist (although I did enter your login credentials to get in
using an account instead of logging in anonymously). I will see that
path if I tell IE to open the directory in Windows Explorer. I will
also see that directories if I use a real FTP client; even using
"ftp.exe woodenmallet.com" and entering your login credentials will show
the directories with an "ls" command. Remember that a web browser may
include FTP features but it wasn't designed to be an FTP client.

Plus you just divulged your login credentials in a public place so why
even bother having any? Why not make anonymous login possible on your
FTP server? If these are to be photos accessible to someone other than
yourself, why not just place the files in a directory on your web server
and provide an http URL link to them?

My setup of IE7 won't work using your URL partly because it is an
invalid URL. I don't even have to bother trying the URL inside of Excel
to see the problem. Might work for you in your particular computing
environment but might not work for someone else using that invalid FTP
URL scheme. Is this entire project just for your own pleasure or are
you expecting to have others look at your photos, too?