Re: IE7 not responding

Gary

Re: IE7 not responding

On 19-Nov-2008, "Sven Pran" <no.direct@mail.please> wrote:

> All of a sudden my IE7 began a couple of weeks ago occationally acting
> weird.
> The common symptom is that it is "not responding", but I am unable to find
>
> out if it has actually frozen permanently or just entered a long lasting
> delay. The immediate cure is to force IE7 and restart it.
>
> The only changes to my system (Vista, Home premium) in this period has
> been
> the regular automatic updates from Mocrosoft.
>
> I have noticed some postings here to suspect special add-ins, I am not
> aware
> that I have any such, and in particular I am not aware that I have any new
>
> add-ins.
>
> My suspicion is that somehow one of the automatic updates from MS has been
>
> the cause of this behaviour and I should like to know if anybody knows
> more
> on this?
>
> regards Sven

Same here and my friend has the same problem. It started for me with the out
of date security patch KB958644.

Re: IE7 not responding
Gary wrote:
<snip>
> Same here and my friend has the same problem. It started for me with the
> out
> of date security patch KB958644.

Support for Windows Update:

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB958644).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Sven Pran

Re: IE7 not responding
What I have done now is to "manage Add-ons" in IE7 tools where I disabled
"Add-ons currently loaded in Internet Explorer" except those that are also
"Add-ons that run without requiring permission".

The seven thus disabled add-ons include:
"Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper" from "Adobe Systems, Incorporated"
"CBrowserHelperObject Object" from "(Not verified) Dell Inc." (My computer
manufacturer)
"Google" from "Google Inc"
"Google Toolbar Helper" from "Google inc"
"Research" - looks suspicious - the publisher field is blank
"Sun Java Console" from "Sun Microsystems, Inc"
"Telenor Telenorhjelpen Plugin" from "Telenor ASA" (my ISP)

If IE7 now will appear stable again for some time I shall one by one enable
plug-ins as they appear required for the web pages I visit.

Comments are welcome!

regards Sven

> Gary wrote:
> <snip>
>> Same here and my friend has the same problem. It started for me with the
>> out
>> of date security patch KB958644.

> Support for Windows Update:
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> security updates. When you call, clearly state that your problem is
> related to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g.,
> KB958644).

> For enterprise customers, support for security updates is available
> through your usual support contacts.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

Sven Pran

Re: IE7 not responding - more info
Can a loaded but disabled add-on to IE7 cause problems?

Sometime during the last hour while my IE7 was running minimized on my
computer it became frozen (not responding) and had to be forced down.

Ever since I posted my last previous post on this thread (see below) all
add-ons that did not have the criterion: "Add-ons that run without requiring
permission" have been disabled (although they still appear in the list of
loaded add-ons).

Is it possible that any of those add-ons can cause problems even when
disabled?

If not then we have to turn our attention to certified add-ons and even IE7
itself for possible failures.

If disabling an add-on is not sufficient then what is the best way of
(temporarily) prevent IE7 from even loading add-ons?

regards Sven