What is this?

oljack

What is this?
For the past several days, whenever I log onto my home page on IE7 and then
go to any other web page, the following icon is placed on my desktop:
7;Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322

I delete it from the desktop, go to another web page and it is back. I
leave it on the desktop and go to another web page and it places another icon
right under it. I have even found it through Window Explorer at C:\Documents
and Settings\Desktop and deleted the file this way but it returns.

Any ideas?
Leonard Grey

Re: What is this?
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine

oljack wrote:
> For the past several days, whenever I log onto my home page on IE7 and then
> go to any other web page, the following icon is placed on my desktop:
> 7;Media Center PC 5.0; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET CLR 1.1.4322
>
> I delete it from the desktop, go to another web page and it is back. I
> leave it on the desktop and go to another web page and it places another icon
> right under it. I have even found it through Window Explorer at C:\Documents
> and Settings\Desktop and deleted the file this way but it returns.
>
> Any ideas?

Re: What is this?
Assuming WinXP SP2:

You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/