IE7 crashes when trying to us Help > Index

Dave P

IE7 crashes when trying to us Help > Index
When I go into help in IE7 and click the Index tab, I get a Cannot access
memory at location xxxxxxxx error and the help and IE session I had going
both crash. I've uninstalled IE7 and re-installed it to no avail. Any help
would be appreciated. I've walked through the online step by step and none
of that helped. My big problem is that I am on a company domain, although I
do have admin rights on my machine, I still can't use windows update or
anything like that without getting blocked.

I can use the rest of the help, but the lettering and graphics look rather
sophomorish or old somehow. Also, even though Search doesn't crash, it
doesn't find anything either (search window is blank and nothing in the right
side detail because I can't select anything).

Re: IE7 crashes when trying to us Help > Index
1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Dave P wrote:
> When I go into help in IE7 and click the Index tab, I get a Cannot access
> memory at location xxxxxxxx error and the help and IE session I had going
> both crash. I've uninstalled IE7 and re-installed it to no avail. Any
> help
> would be appreciated. I've walked through the online step by step and
> none
> of that helped. My big problem is that I am on a company domain, although
> do have admin rights on my machine, I still can't use windows update or
> anything like that without getting blocked.
>
> I can use the rest of the help, but the lettering and graphics look rather
> sophomorish or old somehow. Also, even though Search doesn't crash, it
> doesn't find anything either (search window is blank and nothing in the
> right side detail because I can't select anything).

Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 crashes when trying to us Help > Index
Your best bet is to ask your network administrator for help.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Security Tips for Everyone, from PC Magazine