Help with icons

Rae

Help with icons
Hi :
I just recently re-formatted and reinstalled XP home edition.

My icons were working fine. i.e., when I went to a particular webpage and
wanted to save it, I clicked create shortcut and it was created on my desktop
with that webpage's icon.

However, now, for some reason, the only custom icons that will show up are
the programs icons. none of my internet explorer icons will change to the
custom ones. They all show that IE default icon.

I'm not sure what has changed and why it now won't create my icons. The icon
location is defaulted to : %SystemRoot%\System32\Url.dll
When I do a search for the windows home live.com page for that icon, it
shows up in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local
Settings\Temporary Internet Files
Looking at my other computer, that address in the shortcut icon that works is
"http://home.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0"
But I can't get this second computer to locate that icon. It doesn't show up
in the system icon list.

Re: Help with icons
Please state your full IE version and Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Rae wrote:
> Hi :
> I just recently re-formatted and reinstalled XP home edition.
>
> My icons were working fine. i.e., when I went to a particular webpage and
> wanted to save it, I clicked create shortcut and it was created on my
> desktop with that webpage's icon.
>
> However, now, for some reason, the only custom icons that will show up are
> the programs icons. none of my internet explorer icons will change to the
> custom ones. They all show that IE default icon.
>
> I'm not sure what has changed and why it now won't create my icons. The
> icon
> location is defaulted to : %SystemRoot%\System32\Url.dll
> When I do a search for the windows home live.com page for that icon, it
> shows up in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local
> Settings\Temporary Internet Files
> Looking at my other computer, that address in the shortcut icon that works
> is "http://home.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0"
> But I can't get this second computer to locate that icon. It doesn't show
> up
> in the system icon list.

Rae

Re: Help with icons
IE version: 6.0.2800.1106.xpsp1.020828-1920

I'm not sure what my xp home edition edition is at present. But I haven't
installed the sp 2 yet as I'm testing some software BEFORE downloading the
windows updates.

It was working until today, and after a reboot, suddenly stopped!

Rae

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Please state your full IE version and Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Rae wrote:
> > Hi :
> > I just recently re-formatted and reinstalled XP home edition.
> >
> > My icons were working fine. i.e., when I went to a particular webpage and
> > wanted to save it, I clicked create shortcut and it was created on my
> > desktop with that webpage's icon.
> >
> > However, now, for some reason, the only custom icons that will show up are
> > the programs icons. none of my internet explorer icons will change to the
> > custom ones. They all show that IE default icon.
> >
> > I'm not sure what has changed and why it now won't create my icons. The
> > icon
> > location is defaulted to : %SystemRoot%\System32\Url.dll
> > When I do a search for the windows home live.com page for that icon, it
> > shows up in the following folder: C:\Documents and Settings\Michael\Local
> > Settings\Temporary Internet Files
> > Looking at my other computer, that address in the shortcut icon that works
> > is "http://home.live.com/default.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0"
> > But I can't get this second computer to locate that icon. It doesn't show
> > up
> > in the system icon list.

Re: Help with icons
You're running IE6 in WinXP SP2. I assume you were referring to not having
installed SP3 yet.

>>> I just recently re-formatted and reinstalled XP home edition.

Why?

1. First please make certain that the machine's fully patched at Windows
Update: Go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and follow any prompts to
install Windows Update-related software | Select CONTINUE | Select CUSTOM
and scan | Install any critical security updates offered; follow all
prompts.

NB: Do NOT install WinXP SP3 or IE7 at this point!

If you run into problems using Windows Update or if the selected updates
fail to install, see Method #1 and/or Method #2 here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/943144

2. Now make certain that you've taken care of everything else on this page:
http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/before_you_plug_in.html

progress report.
--
~PA Bear