Video clips won't play in IE7

Kevin

Video clips won't play in IE7
Apparently, there is some setting that has been changed by an update that
now prevents video clips from running in IE7 on my Vista Premium machine.
When I click on the link to play a video clip from a web page, I simply get
the generic "page cannot be displayed" error. The videos do not pop up and
play as they did several weeks ago.

I can right click and save the file and it plays just fine, but I can't get
it to play out of Internet Explorer. On my laptop, running Windows XP HE
SP2, the same clip plays just like they always have, right out of Internet
Explorer. What settings do I need to mess with? And how do I mess with
them to allow the clips to play like they used to do?

Leonard Grey

Re: Video clips won't play in IE7
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Kevin wrote:
> Apparently, there is some setting that has been changed by an update
> that now prevents video clips from running in IE7 on my Vista Premium
> machine. When I click on the link to play a video clip from a web page,
> I simply get the generic "page cannot be displayed" error. The videos
> do not pop up and play as they did several weeks ago.
>
> I can right click and save the file and it plays just fine, but I can't
> get it to play out of Internet Explorer. On my laptop, running Windows
> XP HE SP2, the same clip plays just like they always have, right out of
> Internet Explorer. What settings do I need to mess with? And how do I
> mess with them to allow the clips to play like they used to do?

Kevin

Re: Video clips won't play in IE7
This does not appear to have any effect. The clips still do not run in IE
even when IE is running with no add ons enabled.

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box
> > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one of
> the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Kevin wrote:
>> Apparently, there is some setting that has been changed by an update that
>> now prevents video clips from running in IE7 on my Vista Premium machine.
>> When I click on the link to play a video clip from a web page, I simply
>> get the generic "page cannot be displayed" error. The videos do not pop
>> up and play as they did several weeks ago.
>>
>> I can right click and save the file and it plays just fine, but I can't
>> get it to play out of Internet Explorer. On my laptop, running Windows
>> XP HE SP2, the same clip plays just like they always have, right out of
>> Internet Explorer. What settings do I need to mess with? And how do I
>> mess with them to allow the clips to play like they used to do?

Donald Anadell

"Kevin" <webman6@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This does not appear to have any effect. The clips still do not run in IE
> even when IE is running with no add ons enabled.

That wouldn't surprise me. All Video files require either an ActiveX
control(add-on) or Plugin(add-on) in order to be viewed in the Browser. For
instance, video files with the file extension of .swf or .flv require the
Flash Player add-on "Flash10a.ocx" be installed and enabled in Manage
Add-ons. Video files with the file extension .mov require that the
QuickTime ActiveX control "QTPlugin.ocx" be installed and enabled in Manage
Add-ons, likewise, video files with the file extension .wmv require the
Windows Media Player ActiveX control "wmpdxm.dll" enabled in Manage Add-ons.

So is it one, or all of these video types that cause you problems?

If you don't know, then supply a publicly accessible link to a site that is
generating this problem for you so it can be determined what Video type is
causing your problems.

If you know that it is the Video type .wmv causing the problem, you might
try the file associaton fix for .wmv files here:
http://www.winhelponline.com/article...ows-Vista.html

Good luck,

Donald Anadell

>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search box
>> > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> viruses or other malicious software.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Kevin wrote:
>>> Apparently, there is some setting that has been changed by an update
>>> that now prevents video clips from running in IE7 on my Vista Premium
>>> machine. When I click on the link to play a video clip from a web page,
>>> I simply get the generic "page cannot be displayed" error. The videos
>>> do not pop up and play as they did several weeks ago.
>>>
>>> I can right click and save the file and it plays just fine, but I can't
>>> get it to play out of Internet Explorer. On my laptop, running Windows
>>> XP HE SP2, the same clip plays just like they always have, right out of
>>> Internet Explorer. What settings do I need to mess with? And how do I
>>> mess with them to allow the clips to play like they used to do?

Kevin

Re: Video clips won't play in IE7
The problem appeared several weeks ago. Until that time, I was able to
click on the link to a video clip, regardless of file type, and it would
open and play just like they have for years on all my systems. I can go to
my Windows XP Home Edition SP2 laptop and it opens and plays the file with
no problem. Some update has hosed this ability in Windows Vista.

I've been looking, but can't find any decent information on the problem.

newsB5253D8-B374-470F-ACA5-E4B2BC961C83@microsoft.com...
> The problem appeared several weeks ago. Until that time, I was able to
> click on the link to a video clip, regardless of file type, and it would
> open and play just like they have for years on all my systems. I can go
> to my Windows XP Home Edition SP2 laptop and it opens and plays the file
> with no problem.

> Some update has hosed this ability in Windows Vista.

I would be reluctant to agree with you that some Windows Vista Update is at
the root of this problem.

Do you have another Browser(like Firefox) in stalled on the machine in
question, and does this this behavior exhibit itself in that browser as
well?

Antivirus programs such as Norton Internet Security(proxy for parental
control) and Kaspersky have been known to cause this issue.

The installation of Nero has also been known to cause this issue, if Nero is
in play here you might try this:

Open IE7 > Tools > Internet Options
Click on the "Programs" tab
Click on the "Set Programs" button
Click the "Set program access and computer defaults" link
Click the "Custom" option
Go down to the "Choose a default media player:" option and select "Windows
Media Player"
Click the "Ok" button
Close "Default Programs" window
Click the "Ok" button on the "Internet Options" window

As a last resort you might also try resetting IE7 using the RIES(Reset
Internet Explorer Settings) feature:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737

Read this Article carefully before using RIES, if you use it you will have
to reset your custom settings and re-enable all your add-ons using the
Manage Add-ons feature.

Good luck,

Donald Anadell