After upgrading to IE7, IE doesn't start

jewjew

After upgrading to IE7, IE doesn't start
After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP SP3, Internet
Explorer does not open. There are no error messages. The process
simply does not start. I've tried re-registering the associiated
dll's after setup, and running without add-ons. I've even tried
system restore, an in-place upgrade, and manually reverting the
registry hives to an earlier date. Has anyone seen this behaviour
before?
Leonard Grey

Re: After upgrading to IE7, IE doesn't start
With all the changes you've made to your computer ("manually reverting
the registry hives to an earlier date"?) it's doubtful you'll get IE 7
to work. In my opinion, you're lucky that Windows still works.

FWIW: These are the instructions for a successful upgrade to IE 7:

Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

jewjew wrote:
> After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP SP3, Internet
> Explorer does not open. There are no error messages. The process
> simply does not start. I've tried re-registering the associiated
> dll's after setup, and running without add-ons. I've even tried
> system restore, an in-place upgrade, and manually reverting the
> registry hives to an earlier date. Has anyone seen this behaviour
> before?

Re: After upgrading to IE7, IE doesn't start
You may end up having to format & reinstall Windows, given the amount of
messing around you've done. That being said...

You may have a horked (dirty; bad; flawed) install of IE7. I suggest that
you...

1. Uninstall IE7 (which automatically returns you to IE6) EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html [Only use the Command
%windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot uninstall via Add/Remove
Programs!]

2a. Uninstall all toolbars and third-party Windows Themes (including Window
Blinds).

2b. Disable all Norton Add-ons, if applicable.

3. Reinstall IE7 EXACTLY per
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install <= Steps #1-8, #10 &
#11; take note of #12, then STOP!

NB: Use http://www.microsoft.com/windows/downloads/default.mspx as the

Or Direct Download link:

Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.

4. IMMEDIATELY go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and install any
critical updates offered. If a "Root Certificates" update is listed in the
Optional category, install it to take full advantage of IE7's additional
security.

Also see:

IEBlog : IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications

What's New in Internet Explorer 7

Release Notes
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/Aa740486.aspx

IEBlog: IE and Windows XP Service Pack 3
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

jewjew wrote:
> After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP SP3, Internet
> Explorer does not open. There are no error messages. The process
> simply does not start. I've tried re-registering the associiated
> dll's after setup, and running without add-ons. I've even tried
> system restore, an in-place upgrade, and manually reverting the
> registry hives to an earlier date. Has anyone seen this behaviour
> before?

jewjew

On Nov 17, 2:50*pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...@invalid.invalid> wrote:
> With all the changes you've made to your computer ("manually reverting
> the registry hives to an earlier date"?) it's doubtful you'll get IE 7
> to work. In my opinion, you're lucky that Windows still works.
>
> FWIW: These are the instructions for a successful upgrade to IE 7:
>
> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ...and...http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>

> jewjew wrote:
> > After upgrading to Internet Explorer 7 on Windows XP SP3, Internet
> > Explorer does not open. *There are no error messages. *The process
> > simply does not start. * *I've tried re-registering the associiated
> > dll's after setup, and running without add-ons. *I've even tried
> > system restore, an in-place upgrade, and manually reverting the
> > registry hives to an earlier date. *Has anyone seen this behaviour
> > before?- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for the quick response.

I followed the steps from

without success,

I've manually reverted the registry on well over a 100 different
computers, with very few problems. IE6 works fine. I did notice that
IE7's iesetup.dll does not register. Is this normal? I'm assuming it
is, since IE7 works on this computer, and the dll does not register.

Thanks again
Leonard Grey

Re: After upgrading to IE7, IE doesn't start
I'll never let you touch my computer, that's for sure.

You're in uncharted territory, so good luck, whatever you do.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est