Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE

jules

Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
Hi,
i had some worries with IE7, under vista home premium( french all updates)
No way to get the "java" option appearing'between "International" and
"microsoft vm", in
Ie7 /tools/internet options/advanced

I installed java 1.6.10 (offline)
as the online said
"Java for Windows - Internet Explorer
Recommended Version 6 Update 10 (filesize: ~ 7 MB)
Windows Vista, XP, 2000, 2003 Server
We encountered an issue while trying to automatically install Java software
onto your machine.
If you encounter an error, try the following options:
..Check the top of the browser for an information bar that may read 'This
site might require the following ActiveX control: Java SE Runtime
Environment 6 Update 10 from Sun Microsystems, Inc.. Click here to install.'
Click the colored bar and choose Install ActiveX Control to allow
installation to proceed "

I uninstalled all previous jre install/updates, deleted all jre related
registry keys,
ran a ccleaner, rebooted,
I installed the jre 1.6.10(successfully), deleted the java cache files again
in the Java cpl(
general/internet temporary files)
reinstalled ava 1.6.10 etc

No way to have the java option, described above, appearing.
I checked in Tools>Manage add-ons> if java addons werent not listed in the
"Disabled" list.
i checked spybot's teatimer/sdhelper isnt active
i have not antivirus,
windows vista firewall(i added all java relative exe, in the exception
rules) to allow internet access,
i dont have at the browser top, as quoted from Sun above, any information
bar
, when i go to java.com/fr/download

i tried so, to install IE8, same worry and when i try to change the security
levels
in Ie8 /tools/internet options/security for example for 'internet zone" from
medium to medium low
i validate ben when i exit IE8 (top right red cross) , ie8 crashes. see
below (3)

Below find(1) a java log, (2)the exception log : ParseException:
Unparseable date: ""
Many thanks for any help or suggestion, in advance
Best regards

1)
-- Start in LogInfo --
COUNTRY is: FR
COUNTRYOVERRIDE is: 0
DEFAULTBROWSER HTTP\Shell\open\ddeexec\Application is: Firefox
DEFAULTBROWSERVISTA2NDKEY
Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Associations\UrlA ssociations\http\UserChoice\Progid
is: IE.HTTP
-- Start in ShowOO --
-- ShowOO -- Turning off OO
-- Start in ShowYahoo --
-- ShowYahoo -- rcode key is: 2
-- ShowYahoo -- ytb key is: 0
-- ShowYahoo -- intl key is: fr
-- ShowYahoo -- Turning off Yahoo
-- ShowYahoo -- Yahoo CCT failed for other reason, setting install stats key
-- DetermineSponsor -- begin
-- DetermineSponsor -- The following sponsors have already been offered:
-- DetermineSponsor -- The preference order is: SP4;SP3
-- DetermineSponsor -- The sponsors that are offerable are:
-- DetermineSponsor -- szSponsorsOfferableNotAlreadyOffered is:
-- DetermineSponsor -- NO sponsors found that have not already been offered
-- DetermineSponsor -- walking through sponsors offerable to find a sponsor
found that WAS already offered. szSponsorsOfferableSave is: ,
szPreferenceOrderSave is: SP4;SP3
-- DetermineSponsor -- NO sponsor found

2)
basic: unique id: JavaControlPanel
basic: server port at: 51425
basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
basic: waiting connection
got exception:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: ""
basic: Running JVMParams: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
-> [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
basic: recv: javaws.singleinstance.stop
basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
basic: removed SingleInstanceFile:
C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425

(3)
Nom du journal :Application
Source : Windows Error Reporting
Date : 17/11/2008 19:13:02
ID de l'événement :1001
Catégorie de la tâche :Aucun
Niveau : Information
Mots clés : Classique
Utilisateur : N/A
Ordinateur : inv
Description :
Récipient d'erreurs 913402872, type 1
Événement : APPCRASH
Réponse : Aucun
ID de CAB : 0

Signature du problème :
P1 : iexplore.exe
P2 : 8.0.6001.18241
P3 : 48ae8fee
P4 : StackHash_f7e0
P5 : 0.0.0.0
P6 : 00000000
P7 : c0000005
P8 : 4e0d8b00
P9 :
P10 :

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
(cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)
"jules" <i@freesurf.fr.invalid> wrote in message news:OOU8DWOSJHA.5056@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Hi,
> i had some worries with IE7, under vista home premium( french all updates)
> No way to get the "java" option appearing'between "International" and "microsoft vm", in
> Ie7 /tools/internet options/advanced

Try asking in a Vista NG. Cross-posted to one for convenience.
I don't have Vista but suspect this could be one of its security/obscurity quirks.
Have you tried doing the install as the Administrator?

Also, if that StackHash crash report that you included is relevant
I think it could be an indication of the presence of incompatible modules.
Seeing the related Stack Back Trace could help check that idea.
In fact, I thought that Java kept logs with such details somewhere.
You could do a search of all files changed at the time of the crash
to try to find that diagnostic and any others which the crash produces.
Alternatively, Run... ProcMon and get a Stack Back Trace from it.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> [...]
>

> 2)
> basic: unique id: JavaControlPanel
> basic: server port at: 51425
> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename: C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
> basic: waiting connection
> got exception:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: ""
> basic: Running JVMParams: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
> -> [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
> basic: recv: javaws.singleinstance.stop
> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename: C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename: C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
> basic: removed SingleInstanceFile: C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425

jules

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
Hi Robert,

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> Try asking in a Vista NG. Cross-posted to one for convenience.
> I don't have Vista but suspect this could be one of its security/obscurity
> quirks.
> Have you tried doing the install as the Administrator?

Good idea,
i will give it a try

> Also, if that StackHash crash report that you included is relevant
> I think it could be an indication of the presence of incompatible modules.
> Seeing the related Stack Back Trace could help check that idea.
> In fact, I thought that Java kept logs with such details somewhere.
> You could do a search of all files changed at the time of the crash
> to try to find that diagnostic and any others which the crash produces.
> Alternatively, Run... ProcMon and get a Stack Back Trace from it.

It seems more tricky, i will test that when 'll more spare-time :-)

> Good luck

Thanks for your time and your (good) ideas
Best regards

> [...]
>>

>> 2)
>> basic: unique id: JavaControlPanel
>> basic: server port at: 51425
>> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
>> C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
>> basic: waiting connection
>> got exception:java.text.ParseException: Unparseable date: ""
>> basic: Running JVMParams: [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
>> -> [JVMParameters: isSecure: true, args: ]
>> basic: recv: javaws.singleinstance.stop
>> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
>> C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
>> basic: getSingleInstanceFilename:
>> C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425
>> basic: removed SingleInstanceFile:
>> C:\Users\Bruce\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deploymen t\tmp\si\JavaControlPanel-x86_51425

jules

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
Hi again,
"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> a écrit dans le message de
> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)

I didnt find your cross post in
microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance

but i found in "microsoft.public.internet.explorer.java"
quite the same problem:

Juan Kerr" <nospam@nospam.com> a écrit dans le message de
news:gg9f54$sqv$1@news.motzarella.org...>I have a 2008 Vista (Home, SP1
fully updated) laptop that refuses to
> correctly enable Java for IE7.
> The Java settings are just not there in IE7.
>
> The Java console is working, and the Control panel option for Java use in
> IE
> and Mozilla is enabled.
>
> We uninstalled all java, reset IE to default settings and uninstalled all
> add-on toolbars and extra activeX components.
> We then reinstalled the latest java, (6 up10) successfully according to
> the
> installer and the Java website.
>
> Still, there are no Java settings under tools, internet options, advanced.
> Scripting is enabled under security options.
> The (now reinstalled) Java toolbars are now enabled, but most java enabled
> websites still report java disabled, yet the java site itself says its ok.
>
> Anybody come across this before?
> Any other group to post this to?
> Any ideas?

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
(cross-post added to IE Java)
"jules" <i@freesurf.fr.invalid> wrote in message news:ObiO66AUJHA.5024@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Hi again,
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> a crit dans le message de news:eq1gUrsSJHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> (cross-post added to Vista Perf & Maint)

> I didnt find your cross post in
> microsoft.public.windows.vista.performance_mainten ance

Oops. ; )

> but i found in "microsoft.public.internet.explorer.java"
> quite the same problem:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that newsgroup.
I still think you're more likely to find more knowledgeable
help in a Vista NG but I was really cross-posting to get some
help with your StackHash symptom. ; )

But now that I have reviewed your original post
and see a mention of Microsoft VM I'm wondering
if you are confused about what you *should* be seeing
anyway. E.g. it looks to me that, at least in XP, the only
thing left in the Internet Options about Java is a checkbox

Use JRE 1.5.0_02 for <applet> (requires restart)

and I suspect that is redundant anyway, since it duplicates
an option that is otherwise available in the Java
Control Panel applet. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter

control javacpl.cpl

Then open the Advanced tab and expand the node
Default Java for browsers

Oh. Perhaps if there are no boxes checked in there
the option would not appear in the Internet Options
Advanced tab? I'll leave it to someone who is more
interested in this scenario to do the necessary testing
to confirm this idea... ; )

One difference you may have in Vista, if I understand it
correctly, is having to start that Control Panel applet
using the Administrator, e.g. instead of being able to use
the standard Run... dialog you might have to open the
Control Panel itself, navigate to the Java applet, and then
press Shift-RightClick to see a Run As... command to use
with it. Etc.

Good luck

Robert
---

> Juan Kerr" <nospam@nospam.com> a crit dans le message de news:gg9f54$sqv$1@news.motzarella.org...>I have a 2008 Vista (Home, SP1
> fully updated) laptop that refuses to
>> correctly enable Java for IE7.
>> The Java settings are just not there in IE7.
>>
>> The Java console is working, and the Control panel option for Java use in IE
>> and Mozilla is enabled.
>>
>> We uninstalled all java, reset IE to default settings and uninstalled all
>> add-on toolbars and extra activeX components.
>> We then reinstalled the latest java, (6 up10) successfully according to the
>> installer and the Java website.
>>
>> Still, there are no Java settings under tools, internet options, advanced.
>> Scripting is enabled under security options.
>> The (now reinstalled) Java toolbars are now enabled, but most java enabled
>> websites still report java disabled, yet the java site itself says its ok.
>>
>> Anybody come across this before?
>> Any other group to post this to?
>> Any ideas?

jules

> (cross-post added to IE Java)

> But now that I have reviewed your original post
> and see a mention of Microsoft VM I'm wondering
> if you are confused about what you *should* be seeing
> anyway. E.g. it looks to me that, at least in XP, the only
> thing left in the Internet Options about Java is a checkbox
> Use JRE 1.5.0_02 for <applet> (requires restart)
> and I suspect that is redundant anyway, since it duplicates
> an option that is otherwise available in the Java

As some java websites werent working and as the sun java
i installed wasnt "selectable" in IE7 options(as it didnt show)
i looked for the Msoft's old java virtual machine(not available anymore
from them) and installed it (see the link below to screen capture)

http://cjoint.com/?lDmlEm4Z8X

Sun java is missing in IE7 options after install
between "international" And "microsoft VM"/"multimedia"

> Control Panel applet. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter
> control javacpl.cpl
> Then open the Advanced tab and expand the node
> Default Java for browsers
> Oh. Perhaps if there are no boxes checked in there
> the option would not appear in the Internet Options
> Advanced tab? I'll leave it to someone who is more
> interested in this scenario to do the necessary testing
> to confirm this idea... ; )

see both links below for the Java's advanced tab deployed:

http://cjoint.com/?lDmpcdW0Sz
nb: internet explorer is grayed out but checked

http://cjoint.com/?lDmpEt4zss

> One difference you may have in Vista, if I understand it
> correctly, is having to start that Control Panel applet
> using the Administrator, e.g. instead of being able to use
> the standard Run... dialog you might have to open the
> Control Panel itself, navigate to the Java applet, and then
> press Shift-RightClick to see a Run As... command to use
> with it. Etc.

No way to run it as administratror, in the control panel under vista

> Good luck

Many Thanks for your kind help
Happy thanksgiving
Regards

"jules" <i@freesurf.fr.invalid> wrote in message news:uvbrjThUJHA.5344@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Hi Robert,
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> a crit dans le message de news:%234w0FjFUJHA.6060@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> (cross-post added to IE Java)

>> But now that I have reviewed your original post
>> and see a mention of Microsoft VM I'm wondering
>> if you are confused about what you *should* be seeing
>> anyway. E.g. it looks to me that, at least in XP, the only
>> thing left in the Internet Options about Java is a checkbox
>> Use JRE 1.5.0_02 for <applet> (requires restart)
>> and I suspect that is redundant anyway, since it duplicates
>> an option that is otherwise available in the Java

> As some java websites werent working and as the sun java
> i installed wasnt "selectable" in IE7 options(as it didnt show)
> i looked for the Msoft's old java virtual machine(not available anymore
> from them) and installed it (see the link below to screen capture)
>
> http://cjoint.com/?lDmlEm4Z8X

But since nothing is checked there, what's the point? ; )

Also, you don't show the Internet Options, Security tab's
Custom Level settings. There are Java related options
in that dialog and also IIRC a special supplementary dialog
for customizing the use of the MS Java VM.

> Sun java is missing in IE7 options after install
> between "international" And "microsoft VM"/"multimedia"
>
>> Control Panel applet. E.g. Run... (press Win-R and enter
>> control javacpl.cpl
>> Then open the Advanced tab and expand the node
>> Default Java for browsers
>> Oh. Perhaps if there are no boxes checked in there
>> the option would not appear in the Internet Options
>> Advanced tab? I'll leave it to someone who is more
>> interested in this scenario to do the necessary testing
>> to confirm this idea... ; )

> see both links below for the Java's advanced tab deployed:
>
> http://cjoint.com/?lDmpcdW0Sz
> nb: internet explorer is grayed out but checked
>
> http://cjoint.com/?lDmpEt4zss
>

>> One difference you may have in Vista, if I understand it
>> correctly, is having to start that Control Panel applet
>> using the Administrator, e.g. instead of being able to use
>> the standard Run... dialog you might have to open the
>> Control Panel itself, navigate to the Java applet, and then
>> press Shift-RightClick to see a Run As... command to use
>> with it. Etc.

> No way to run it as administratror, in the control panel under vista

That's odd. There is in XP. Are you pressing Shift-
when you right-click on the icon for the Java CP applet?
The command I'm referring to only shows when I press
Shift- while right-clicking there.

BTW if you don't get it working with those hints,
what I would do is uninstall the old MSJava stuff
and try to see if the Sun stuff will reinstall properly
normally.

>> Good luck

> Many Thanks for your kind help
> Happy thanksgiving
> Regards

That was last month for me. ; )

Robert
---

jules

>> http://cjoint.com/?lDmlEm4Z8X

> But since nothing is checked there, what's the point? ; )

The Microsoft VM has been checked/unchecked
to make different tries with java install(so what you saw is a temporary
state

> Also, you don't show the Internet Options, Security tab's
> Custom Level settings. There are Java related options
> in that dialog and also IIRC a special supplementary dialog
> for customizing the use of the MS Java VM.

for active x

http://cjoint.com/?lEllc0nTxy
http://cjoint.com/?lElmi82lc3
http://cjoint.com/?lElmIOCUH5

For java
http://cjoint.com/?lElnhEcQkM

http://cjoint.com/?lElnUl2s3q

> That's odd. There is in XP. Are you pressing Shift-
> when you right-click on the icon for the Java CP applet?
> The command I'm referring to only shows when I press
> Shift- while right-clicking there.

shift-right gives me only 2 options
"open"/"create a short link"

> BTW if you don't get it working with those hints,
> what I would do is uninstall the old MSJava stuff
> and try to see if the Sun stuff will reinstall properly
> normally.

i'll will try that, i have to reboot ;-)
i'll keep you advised
Regards

jules

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
Hi Robert,

"Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> a écrit dans le message de

> BTW if you don't get it working with those hints,
> what I would do is uninstall the old MSJava stuff
> and try to see if the Sun stuff will reinstall properly
> normally.

Finally with your bright help,
i managed to get it work !

i uninstall the microsoft VM
following a Sun procedure found here(sorry in french must exist also in
other languages
owe to your regional settings on java.com)

http://www.java.com/fr/download/help/uninstall_msvm.xml

i uninstalled , also, before the rebooting the jre update10
i deleted the windows java folder/the java files described above
deleted the registry keys

And then i went to java.com and i had been able
to do an online installation and then the online sun's java
version checking worked !
Probably , from my xp to vista upgrade,
the previous installations of both java/Microsoft VM
let some bad settings/files.
But i has been nearly two years ago(!) and never i had encountered
any worries java related but since one month.
I dont understand why my problem occured.
perhaps last java version(update10) or some vista KB updates
modified java "behavior".

Two notices:
One:
java options in IE7/8 /advanced are still not there(so must be vista "rule",
under xp were there)

Two:
in the java cpl/advanced tab the "java by default for internet browsers":
Microsoft Internet explorer is grayed out and ticked

i hope it will work now !

Anyway many thanks again Robert, your patient advices brought me to the
solution !
(crossing fingers)
Best regards

Pam

Re: Plrase Help after java install, no java option in IE
Actually - I was just about to weigh in with this problem myself! I have the
latest version of Java installed (11) and I have been unable to get past the
splash screen that comes up - it always says "Splash: recv failed" and then
the Java window hangs and fails to load. It is only when I try to enter a
chat program called vereconference - someone also told me to uncheck the
Java box in Tools in Internet Options - but like you - I found it wasn't
there.

I have not been able to get it to work with this program - although all
other java applets work. I've also tried to uninstall Sun/Java - but my
question is - is the Microsoft VM hidden somewhere? Is it not listed in the
Advanced Section of the Internet Options tab?

Pam