Clear Temporary Internet Files

mcp6453

Clear Temporary Internet Files
A computer has XP SP3 with IE7, including all updates on both. If I go
into Tools | Internet Options | Delete... to delete the Temporary
Internet Files, IE freezes, and the files are not deleted. After trying
a reboot, nothing changed, so I moved the temporary folder to a new
location, thinking there might be a problem on the hard drive. The cache
location changed with no problem, but "Delete..." still freezes and will
not delete the temporary files.

The computer is well maintained, no viruses, no spyware, no malware, and
no adware. The cache size was set to 20MB. While testing, I change the
setting to 25MB, just in case XP/IE decided to rewrite the file or
folder. The user has administrator rights on the machine.

Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem?
Kayman

Re: Clear Temporary Internet Files
On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:38:53 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:

> A computer has XP SP3 with IE7, including all updates on both. If I go
> into Tools | Internet Options | Delete... to delete the Temporary
> Internet Files, IE freezes, and the files are not deleted. After trying
> a reboot, nothing changed, so I moved the temporary folder to a new
> location, thinking there might be a problem on the hard drive. The cache
> location changed with no problem, but "Delete..." still freezes and will
> not delete the temporary files.

I don't think it's related to hardware.

> The computer is well maintained, no viruses, no spyware, no malware, and
> no adware.

Are you absolutely sure? Have you scanned with HJT and submitted the log
for examination to an expert forum?
You may wish to scan with both Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware (free
versions) in normal *and* safe mode.
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

> The cache size was set to 20MB. While testing, I change the
> setting to 25MB, just in case XP/IE decided to rewrite the file or
> folder. The user has administrator rights on the machine.
> Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem?

Not at this stage, but you could try deleting the Temporary Internet Files
with:
CCleaner - Free
Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
MRUs, etc. ...
http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
The toolbar offered prior installation is not required!
If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).

Good luck

mcp6453

Kayman wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Nov 2008 08:38:53 -0500, mcp6453 wrote:
>
>> A computer has XP SP3 with IE7, including all updates on both. If I go
>> into Tools | Internet Options | Delete... to delete the Temporary
>> Internet Files, IE freezes, and the files are not deleted. After trying
>> a reboot, nothing changed, so I moved the temporary folder to a new
>> location, thinking there might be a problem on the hard drive. The cache
>> location changed with no problem, but "Delete..." still freezes and will
>> not delete the temporary files.

> I don't think it's related to hardware.

Me, either. The computer is quite new.

>> The computer is well maintained, no viruses, no spyware, no malware, and
>> no adware.

> Are you absolutely sure? Have you scanned with HJT and submitted the log
> for examination to an expert forum?
> You may wish to scan with both Malwarebytes and SUPERAntiSpyware (free
> versions) in normal *and* safe mode.
> http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam/program/mbam-setup.exe
> http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

I'm sure, but I will check with superantispyware, which is a new
utility. (By the way, Malwarebytes is an extraordinary utility!)

>> The cache size was set to 20MB. While testing, I change the
>> setting to 25MB, just in case XP/IE decided to rewrite the file or
>> folder. The user has administrator rights on the machine.
>> Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem?

> Not at this stage, but you could try deleting the Temporary Internet Files
> with:
> CCleaner - Free
> Cleans temporary internet files, cookies, history, recent urls, application
> MRUs, etc. ...
> http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
> The toolbar offered prior installation is not required!

I tried EasyCleaner, which also froze. I'll try ccleaner to see if I get
the same result.

> If Windows Defender is utilized go to Applications, under Utilities
> uncheck "Windows Defender" (so it won't delete the history of WD).

Defender was not installed, but it is now. The first scan came up with
no problems.

> Good luck

Thanks for the help.
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

"mcp6453" <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote in message
>A computer has XP SP3 with IE7, including all updates on both. If I go into
>Tools | Internet Options | Delete... to delete the Temporary Internet
>Files, IE freezes, and the files are not deleted. After trying a reboot,
>nothing changed, so I moved the temporary folder to a new location,
>thinking there might be a problem on the hard drive. The cache location
>changed with no problem, but "Delete..." still freezes and will not delete
>the temporary files.
>
> The computer is well maintained, no viruses, no spyware, no malware, and
> no adware. The cache size was set to 20MB. While testing, I change the
> setting to 25MB, just in case XP/IE decided to rewrite the file or folder.
> The user has administrator rights on the machine.
>
> Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem?

What if you boot into Safe Mode?

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

mcp6453

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM wrote:
> "mcp6453" <mcp6453@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> A computer has XP SP3 with IE7, including all updates on both. If I go
>> into Tools | Internet Options | Delete... to delete the Temporary
>> Internet Files, IE freezes, and the files are not deleted. After
>> trying a reboot, nothing changed, so I moved the temporary folder to a
>> new location, thinking there might be a problem on the hard drive. The
>> cache location changed with no problem, but "Delete..." still freezes
>> and will not delete the temporary files.
>>
>> The computer is well maintained, no viruses, no spyware, no malware,
>> and no adware. The cache size was set to 20MB. While testing, I change
>> the setting to 25MB, just in case XP/IE decided to rewrite the file or
>> folder. The user has administrator rights on the machine.
>>
>> Do you have any idea what might be causing the problem?

> What if you boot into Safe Mode?

I did not think to try that. Unless someone has a solution that I can
implement remotely, I will try booting into the Safe Mode on my next
trip over.
ju.c

Re: Clear Temporary Internet Files
What happens when to use the direct command (below)
to delete the temp files?

Clear History From the Command Line

For IE7 only, XP and Vista

These commands may be executed via the Run box,
a Shortcut, the Command Line or a Batch file.

Temporary Internet Files
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 8

Cookies
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 2

History
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 1

Form Data
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 16

Passwords
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 32

Delete All
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 255

Delete All - "Also delete files and settings stored by add-ons"
RunDll32.exe InetCpl.cpl,ClearMyTracksByProcess 4351

ju.c