can't open saved mht files

DPH

can't open saved mht files
I saved some web pages for a school project in October. I used the Web
Archive mht method and saved them to my laptop. As of today I noticed that
I can't open the files anymore. I tried some mht files I have saved on my
desktop and they still open and it's the same version of IE7. I changed the
associations to another browser and then back to IE7 but didn't make any
difference.

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
Also when I click on the file IE7 opens up with this:

The address is not valid

Most likely causes:
There might be a typing error in the address.
If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.

What you can try:
Retype the address.

> I saved some web pages for a school project in October. I used the Web
> Archive mht method and saved them to my laptop. As of today I noticed
> that I can't open the files anymore. I tried some mht files I have saved
> on my desktop and they still open and it's the same version of IE7. I
> changed the associations to another browser and then back to IE7 but
> didn't make any difference.

Don Varnau

Re: can't open saved mht files
Hi,
No guarantees, but try these procedures...
1. Right-click the MHT file and select Open with> Internet Explorer.
2. Open an IE window.
Select File> Work offline.
Make the IE window small enough that the MHT file can be dragged and
dropped into the window.
-
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DPH" <hornickd[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Also when I click on the file IE7 opens up with this:
>

> The address is not valid
>
> Most likely causes:
> There might be a typing error in the address.
> If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
>
> What you can try:
> Retype the address.

> > I saved some web pages for a school project in October. I used the Web
> > Archive mht method and saved them to my laptop. As of today I noticed
> > that I can't open the files anymore. I tried some mht files I have

saved
> > on my desktop and they still open and it's the same version of IE7. I
> > changed the associations to another browser and then back to IE7 but
> > didn't make any difference.

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
Thanks but no help on either of them. Strange. I haven't been changing any
IE settings on either computer but the laptop can't open them and the
desktop can.

> Hi,
> No guarantees, but try these procedures...
> 1. Right-click the MHT file and select Open with> Internet Explorer.
> 2. Open an IE window.
> Select File> Work offline.
> Make the IE window small enough that the MHT file can be dragged and
> dropped into the window.
> -
> Hope this helps,
> Don
> [MS MVP- IE]
>
> "DPH" <hornickd[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Also when I click on the file IE7 opens up with this:
>>

>> The address is not valid
>>
>> Most likely causes:
>> There might be a typing error in the address.
>> If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
>>
>> What you can try:
>> Retype the address.

>> > I saved some web pages for a school project in October. I used the Web
>> > Archive mht method and saved them to my laptop. As of today I noticed
>> > that I can't open the files anymore. I tried some mht files I have

> saved
>> > on my desktop and they still open and it's the same version of IE7. I
>> > changed the associations to another browser and then back to IE7 but
>> > didn't make any difference.

Don Varnau

Re: can't open saved mht files
Sorry. I wish I had something else to suggest. I've had a few MHT files
become unopenable/corrupted also. I eventually gave up and deleted them.

I think that web page complete is a safer format to use.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"DPH" <hornickd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Thanks but no help on either of them. Strange. I haven't been changing

any
> IE settings on either computer but the laptop can't open them and the
> desktop can.

> > Hi,
> > No guarantees, but try these procedures...
> > 1. Right-click the MHT file and select Open with> Internet Explorer.
> > 2. Open an IE window.
> > Select File> Work offline.
> > Make the IE window small enough that the MHT file can be dragged and
> > dropped into the window.

> > "DPH" <hornickd[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
> >> Also when I click on the file IE7 opens up with this:
> >>

> >> The address is not valid
> >>
> >> Most likely causes:
> >> There might be a typing error in the address.
> >> If you clicked on a link, it may be out of date.
> >>
> >> What you can try:
> >> Retype the address.

Web

noticed

> > saved

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
Me too. Good thing I don't need those files anymore

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
As far as these files being corrupted, I just discovered they are not. I
copied one of them over to my desktop and it opened without any trouble. I
wonder what's up with the laptop that it won't open them?

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
I just discovered something else. When I click the mht file in the IE
address window mhtml:file:// appears before the C:\ and %20 has been stuck
between each word in each level of my directory path and the file name of
the file I'm trying to open. This is on the laptop. It doesn't appear on
the desktop which shows a nice clean directory path. To get it to my
desktop I copied it to the shared docs folder for my desktop. I just
clicked on that copied file, still in the share docs folder and my laptop
opens it right up clean directory path and all. Deleting the file from it's
current directory and copying it back from the shared docs fold does not fix
it. Creating a new directory and copying the files there doesn't fix it
either.

Don Varnau

Re: can't open saved mht files

Same OS on both machines?

The %20 represents a space. It's probably being added by/because of a third
party program or shell extension.

Is the %20 added in Safe Mode? If not, you can disable startup programs to
see which is adding it
Start> Run> msconfig> Startup tab. The program may not have an obvious
connection to Internet Explorer or Windows Explorer. Example: CD/DVD burning
programs have caused issues with IE/WE.

ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html will allow you to
disable/re-enable shell extensions (context menu items) to see if one of
them is causing the problem.

> Sorry. I wish I had something else to suggest. I've had a few MHT files
> become unopenable/corrupted also. I eventually gave up and deleted them.
>
> I think that web page complete is a safer format to use.

> "DPH" <hornickd@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks but no help on either of them. Strange. I haven't been changing

> any
> > IE settings on either computer but the laptop can't open them and the
> > desktop can.

> > "Don Varnau" <don_04[at]varnau[dot]org> wrote in message
> > > Hi,
> > > No guarantees, but try these procedures...
> > > 1. Right-click the MHT file and select Open with> Internet Explorer.
> > > 2. Open an IE window.
> > > Select File> Work offline.
> > > Make the IE window small enough that the MHT file can be dragged

and
> > > dropped into the window.

> > > "DPH" <hornickd[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Web

> noticed
> > > saved

but

DPH

Re: can't open saved mht files
Yes, same OS. As far as third party software, the only thing I can think of
that has changed since October when I made these mht files is Quick time and
Windows updates. It still does it in Safe Mode. I don't know what else.
Guess I just chock it up to another Windows mystery. Maybe it will clear
up with another update. Thanks for the help.