internet explorer does not work

where are the dummies books

internet explorer does not work
my internet explorer will not connect to the internet at all it has a time
out error and i dont have the file, edit, view, favorites, tools , or help
options they are missing from my internet explorer window. when i use my
third party web browser mozilla fire fox it connects to sites that are not
secure and times out for the ones that are secure, i can get to yahoo but i
cant login. when i right click on internet explorer to open properties it
doesnt give me the option to choose properties. when im in internet explorer
and i try to log into my router it closes automatically. is there an
explanation for this or a problem solver for this im useing internet explorer
7 on windows xp o.s it has worked forever all of a sudden it is not working
anymore.
Kayman

Re: internet explorer does not work
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 17:15:01 -0800, where are the dummies wrote:

> my internet explorer will not connect to the internet at all it has a time
> out error and i dont have the file, edit, view, favorites, tools , or help
> options they are missing from my internet explorer window. when i use my
> third party web browser mozilla fire fox it connects to sites that are not
> secure and times out for the ones that are secure, i can get to yahoo but i
> cant login. when i right click on internet explorer to open properties it
> doesnt give me the option to choose properties. when im in internet explorer
> and i try to log into my router it closes automatically. is there an
> explanation for this or a problem solver for this im useing internet explorer
> 7 on windows xp o.s it has worked forever all of a sudden it is not working
> anymore.

1.Clear the (IE) temporary Internet files and the history cache.
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "inetcpl.cpl" (w/out
quotation marks) into the box, then click the 'OK' button.
In Internet Properties panel 'General' tab, under 'Browsing history', click
'Delete...'button, in 'Delete Browsing History' panel, click the 'Delete
all...'button then place a checkmark into the box beside 'Also delete files
and settings stored by add-ons', Click 'Yes' and exit the Internet
Properties panel by clicking the 'OK' button.

2.Clean HDD
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "cleanmgr" (w/out quotation
marks into the box, then click the 'OK' button. Select your drive
(presumably WinXP (C and click OK.

3.Download/execute:
Malwarebytes© Corporation - Anti-Malware
--and--
Kaspersky® AVPTool
http://avptool.virusinfo.info/en/
Direct:
http://downloads5.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/AVPTool/
--and--
Dr.Web CureIt!® Utility - FREE
http://www.freedrweb.com/cureit/
--and--
SuperAntispyware - Free
http://www.superantispyware.com/supe...freevspro.html

NOTE:
Kaspersky® Virus Removal Tool, Dr.Web CureIt!® and the free version of
Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware are not capable for real-time protection
of your computer.
Kaspersky® AVPTool, Dr.Web CureIt!® have no update feature (so they don't
turn into full blown scanners). As soon as your computer is cleaned you are
supposed to remove these tools from your operating system.
Re: K/AVPTool; To uninstall/move this program 'enable self-defense' must be
unchecked!

The free version of Malwarebytes© and SuperAntispyware have an update
feature, keep them installed in addtion to your resident AV/A-S
applications and scan frequently.

After the software is updated, it is suggested scanning the system in Safe
Mode.
How do you boot to Safe Mode?
By pressing/tabbing F8 (or F5 on some keyboards) during re-boot.
A description of the Safe Mode Boot options in Windows XP
Start your computer in safe mode (Vista)
http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Win...904a11033.mspx
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...utorial61.html

Alternatively:
Click Start==>Run... then type (or copy/paste) "msconfig" (without
quotation marks), click OK. Then click onto BOOT.INI tab and 'check'
/SAFEBOOT then OK and click Restart. To go back to Normal Mode, you must
access the System Configuration utility again and click the General tab
then click/check the radio button 'Normal Startup'- load all device drivers
and services'.

4.Download and execute HiJack This! (HJT)
http://www.trendsecure.com/portal/en...ols/hijackthis

Please, do not post HJT logs to this newsgroup.
Fora where you can get expert advice for HiJack This! (HJT) logs.

http://www.spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/index.php?showforum=27
http://www.malwarebytes.org/forums/i...hp?showforum=7
http://www.5starsupport.com/ipboard/...p?showforum=18
http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/in...showf orum=29

NOTE:
Registration is required in any of the above mentioned fora before posting
a HJT log and read the 'stickies' (instructions/guidelines) for the
respective HJT forum.

5.Routinely practice Safe-Hex.
http://www.claymania.com/safe-hex.html

Additional references:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Read: "What you must know"
Applies to: Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP and
Windows Internet Explorer 7 in Windows Vista

Good luck

Re: internet explorer does not work
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

Is this a sudden, new problem? (Sounds like a DNS.Changer infection to me.)
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

where are the dummies books wrote:
> my internet explorer will not connect to the internet at all it has a time
> out error and i dont have the file, edit, view, favorites, tools , or help
> options they are missing from my internet explorer window. when i use my
> third party web browser mozilla fire fox it connects to sites that are not
> secure and times out for the ones that are secure, i can get to yahoo but
> cant login. when i right click on internet explorer to open properties it
> doesnt give me the option to choose properties. when im in internet
> explorer
> and i try to log into my router it closes automatically. is there an
> explanation for this or a problem solver for this im useing internet
> explorer 7 on windows xp o.s it has worked forever all of a sudden it is
> not working anymore.

Gordon

Re: internet explorer does not work
"where are the dummies books" <where are the dummies
books@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> i dont have the file, edit, view, favorites, tools , or help

Press the Alt key and they will appear.