Tabbed browsing has disappeared

khiara

Tabbed browsing has disappeared
Title says it all. After installing IE7...several months ago...and having
tabbed browsing for only a week...it just totally vanished.

I've not been able to get any help...from anyone with this. Anyone with
any suggestions?

Quick note...google tool bar does not exist...so that isn't the problem.

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Leonard Grey

Re: Tabbed browsing has disappeared
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
latest signatures and run a full scan.

If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
and on schedule.

For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
scanners, such as:
Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)

Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
expert.

Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
show the computer to a professional.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

khiara wrote:
> Title says it all. After installing IE7...several months ago...and having
> tabbed browsing for only a week...it just totally vanished.
>
> I've not been able to get any help...from anyone with this. Anyone with
> any suggestions?
>
> Quick note...google tool bar does not exist...so that isn't the problem.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help!

khiara

Re: Tabbed browsing has disappeared
I'm a very safe driver...*smile*

Running IE in "no add-ons" mode does not take care of the problem.

I've read the older messages here...pertaining to this same problem...but
nothing I've read or tried has helped.

All is well...I'll just continue to do without tabbed browsing...I suppose.

Thanks!

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>
> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
> driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
> eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
> software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
> scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
> and on schedule.
>
> For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
> scanners, such as:
> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>
> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
> post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
> here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
> expert.
>
> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
> show the computer to a professional.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> khiara wrote:
> > Title says it all. After installing IE7...several months ago...and having
> > tabbed browsing for only a week...it just totally vanished.
> >
> > I've not been able to get any help...from anyone with this. Anyone with
> > any suggestions?
> >
> > Quick note...google tool bar does not exist...so that isn't the problem.
> >
> > Thanks to anyone who can help!

Re: Tabbed browsing has disappeared
posting to this newsgroup.

What other toolbars might be installed?

Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Advanced settings (RIES)?

Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

khiara wrote:
<snip>
> Running IE in "no add-ons" mode does not take care of the problem.
>
> I've read the older messages here...pertaining to this same problem...but
> nothing I've read or tried has helped.
>
> All is well...I'll just continue to do without tabbed browsing...I
> suppose.
>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> viruses or other malicious software.
>>
>> Make sure that your anti-malware software is running, then download the
>> latest signatures and run a full scan.
>>
>> If you don't have comprehensive anti-malware software, that's like
>> driving a car without seats belts or air bags. Either way, you're
>> eventually going to get hammered. Install comprehensive anti-malware
>> software and learn how to use its features. A 'comprehensive' solution
>> scans for all types of malicious software in the background, on demand
>> and on schedule.
>>
>> For now try scanning your system with /several/ of the better online
>> scanners, such as:
>> Kaspersky Antivirus (http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner)
>> Panda ActiveScan (http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan)
>>
>> Download HijackThis from www.trendsecure.com. Run it, save a log, and
>> post the log at one of the many sites that support HJT, such as
>> spywarewarrior.com, bleepingcomputer.com, and temerc.com -- but not
>> here. Within a day, sometimes within an hour, you'll have one-on-one
>> step-by-step advice from a security expert on cleaning up any
>> infestations—or you'll have a clean bill of health from the volunteer
>> expert.
>>
>> Even the best detection and removal software can't fix every malware
>> infection. If none of the above remove the infection, you may want to
>> show the computer to a professional.
>>
>> khiara wrote:
>>> Title says it all. After installing IE7...several months ago...and
>>> having
>>> tabbed browsing for only a week...it just totally vanished.
>>>
>>> I've not been able to get any help...from anyone with this. Anyone
>>> with
>>> any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Quick note...google tool bar does not exist...so that isn't the problem.
>>>
>>> Thanks to anyone who can help!

Medico69

Re: Tabbed browsing has disappeared
Running WinXP SP3. After downloading and reinstalling IE7 tabbed browsing
works. No Google toolbar installed. Problem seems to have been me letting
update do the install instead of doing it myself.

"khiara" <khiara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Title says it all. After installing IE7...several months ago...and having
> tabbed browsing for only a week...it just totally vanished.
>
> I've not been able to get any help...from anyone with this. Anyone with
> any suggestions?
>
> Quick note...google tool bar does not exist...so that isn't the problem.
>
> Thanks to anyone who can help!

Ramesh Srinivasan, MS-MVP

Re: Tabbed browsing has disappeared
Is "Enable Tabbed Browsing" ticked in Internet Options?

--
Regards,

The Winhelponline Blog http://www.winhelponline.com/blog