saving pdf files

Walter Goldschmidt

saving pdf files
When I was on Time Warner web site I opened a pdf document showing my
account statement. When I clicked the save icon nothing happened. Why won't
it let me save this document to my hard drive?

--

Walt

Walter Goldschmidt

Re: saving pdf files
Also on Vectren's web site (gas company) same deal but it allowed me to save
it to my hard drive.

--

Walt

"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> When I was on Time Warner web site I opened a pdf document showing my
> account statement. When I clicked the save icon nothing happened. Why
> won't it let me save this document to my hard drive?
>
> --
>
> Walt

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: saving pdf files
Maybe hadn't finished downloading yet (pdf's can be set to progressive
download).
Try File | Save or File | Save As next time - after it has completely
downloaded.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
> When I was on Time Warner web site I opened a pdf document showing my
> account statement. When I clicked the save icon nothing happened. Why
> won't it let me save this document to my hard drive?
>
> --
>
> Walt

Walter Goldschmidt

Re: saving pdf files
There is no file to click on. I tried changing tool bar but was unable to.
Also I gave it plenty of time to download and it just won't allow me to save
but on Vectrens site I was able to save my statement there.

--

Walt

"Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
> Maybe hadn't finished downloading yet (pdf's can be set to progressive
> download).
> Try File | Save or File | Save As next time - after it has completely
> downloaded.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rob Giordano
> Microsoft MVP Expression
>

> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>> When I was on Time Warner web site I opened a pdf document showing my
>> account statement. When I clicked the save icon nothing happened. Why
>> won't it let me save this document to my hard drive?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Walt

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: saving pdf files
Dunno, hard to tell without being able to see it.
Can you try Right click on file link and choose Save File As?

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> There is no file to click on. I tried changing tool bar but was unable to.
> Also I gave it plenty of time to download and it just won't allow me to
> save but on Vectrens site I was able to save my statement there.
>
> --
>
> Walt
>
> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
>> Maybe hadn't finished downloading yet (pdf's can be set to progressive
>> download).
>> Try File | Save or File | Save As next time - after it has completely
>> downloaded.
>>

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Rob Giordano
>> Microsoft MVP Expression
>>

>> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> When I was on Time Warner web site I opened a pdf document showing my
>>> account statement. When I clicked the save icon nothing happened. Why
>>> won't it let me save this document to my hard drive?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Walt

Walter Goldschmidt

Re: saving pdf files
When I right clicked on the link the only option close to save as was save
target as. When I did this I got a message. It said Internet Explorer cannot
download Go from payxpress.timewarnercable.com. The file could not be
written to the cache.

--

> Dunno, hard to tell without being able to see it.
> Can you try Right click on file link and choose Save File As?
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rob Giordano
> Microsoft MVP Expression
>

> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>> There is no file to click on. I tried changing tool bar but was unable
>> to. Also I gave it plenty of time to download and it just won't allow me
>> to save but on Vectrens site I was able to save my statement there.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Walt
>>
>> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
>> message news:OxNV3q2RJHA.5164@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>> Maybe hadn't finished downloading yet (pdf's can be set to progressive
>>> download).
>>> Try File | Save or File | Save As next time - after it has completely
>>> downloaded.
>>>

>>> --
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Rob Giordano
>>> Microsoft MVP Expression

Rob Giordano [MS MVP]

Re: saving pdf files
Sorry that's what I meant to type...Save Target As

The link you posted is dead so cant look at what you are trying to do.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rob Giordano

> When I right clicked on the link the only option close to save as was save
> target as. When I did this I got a message. It said Internet Explorer
> cannot download Go from payxpress.timewarnercable.com. The file could not
> be written to the cache.
>
> --
>
> Walt
>
> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
>> Dunno, hard to tell without being able to see it.
>> Can you try Right click on file link and choose Save File As?
>>

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Rob Giordano
>> Microsoft MVP Expression
>>

>> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> There is no file to click on. I tried changing tool bar but was unable
>>> to. Also I gave it plenty of time to download and it just won't allow me
>>> to save but on Vectrens site I was able to save my statement there.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Walt
>>>
>>> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
>>> message news:OxNV3q2RJHA.5164@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...

Walter Goldschmidt

Re: saving pdf files
I right clicked on the link and emailed it to myself. When I clicked on link
a web page came up that said session expired. Why does it allow me to save
pdf from Vectren but not from Time Warner? Once it did allow me to save it
but ever since it hasn't.

--

> Sorry that's what I meant to type...Save Target As
>
> The link you posted is dead so cant look at what you are trying to do.
>

> --
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Rob Giordano
> Microsoft MVP Expression
>

> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>> When I right clicked on the link the only option close to save as was
>> save
>> target as. When I did this I got a message. It said Internet Explorer
>> cannot download Go from payxpress.timewarnercable.com. The file could not
>> be written to the cache.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Walt
>>
>> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
>> message
>>> Dunno, hard to tell without being able to see it.
>>> Can you try Right click on file link and choose Save File As?
>>>

>>> --
>>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>> Rob Giordano
>>> Microsoft MVP Expression

Walter Goldschmidt

Re: saving pdf files
I figured out a work around. Right click on save icon. Then click on show
all tools. Then click on mail icon and send to myself as an attachment. Then
right click on attachment and then save as. It is now saved in my documents
folder. Pretty involved but at least I can save it.

> I right clicked on the link and emailed it to myself. When I clicked on
> link a web page came up that said session expired. Why does it allow me to
> save pdf from Vectren but not from Time Warner? Once it did allow me to
> save it but ever since it hasn't.
>
> --
>
> Walt
>
> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in message
>> Sorry that's what I meant to type...Save Target As
>>
>> The link you posted is dead so cant look at what you are trying to do.
>>

>> --
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>> Rob Giordano
>> Microsoft MVP Expression
>>

>> "Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> When I right clicked on the link the only option close to save as was
>>> save
>>> target as. When I did this I got a message. It said Internet Explorer
>>> cannot download Go from payxpress.timewarnercable.com. The file could
>>> not be written to the cache.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Walt
>>>
>>> "Rob Giordano [MS MVP]" <webmaster@siriussystems.invalid> wrote in
>>> message

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: saving pdf files

"Walter Goldschmidt" <wgold@woh.rr.com> wrote in message news:gfsajf$u08$1@news.motzarella.org...
>I right clicked on the link and emailed it to myself. When I clicked on link a web page came up that said session expired.

> Why does it allow me to save pdf from Vectren but not from Time Warner?

> Once it did allow me to save it but ever since it hasn't.

One explanation would be that the implementation has changed on that site.
E.g. perhaps you once were able to use that right-click Save Target As command
on your problem site. What happens if you use that command on the site that
still works for you?

Also, have you checked what happens in the TIF when you just open the file?
If the file is being opened from a copy in the TIF, one trick that sometimes works
is opening it, setting Work Offline, and then doing the right-click, Save Target As
command.

Otherwise note that these suggestions assume that the link that you right-click on
is a direct link to the .pdf file download. You seem to be seeing something called go?
Perhaps that's a script file that would then cause the .pdf file to be opened?
Then, that would be an implementation factor that you would have to circumvent
before finding the real .pdf file that you want to save. Etc.

As Rob indicated it's hard to know what to suggest without a clearer
symptom description, including implementation details. Remember,
your words have to substitute for what our eyes might notice.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---