IE7 freezes for a few seconds...

TwoFrameTaco

IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
First things first - I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP1.

Seems about two weeks ago, IE seems to freeze for a moment when I load
certain websites. For example, if I were to go to Gamespot.com - it will load
most of, if not all, of the page and then freeze for about 5-10 seconds
before I can click any link.
This occurs throughout the site, whether going back or forward, looking at
pictures or videos or even going to the forums. But then I can visit
something like Pogo.com and I have no problems. I thought at first it might
have been a flash problem, but both sites I mentioned are heavy on the flash
treatment; so why would it happen on one site and not the other? 5-10 seconds
doesn't sound like much, but I'm used to everything being an instant click
away. Dell.com, CircuitCity.com - temporary freezing; however Yahoo.com,
BestBuy.com - no freezing.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

TwoFrameTaco wrote:
> First things first - I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP1.
>
> Seems about two weeks ago, IE seems to freeze for a moment when I load
> certain websites. For example, if I were to go to Gamespot.com - it will load
> most of, if not all, of the page and then freeze for about 5-10 seconds
> before I can click any link.
> This occurs throughout the site, whether going back or forward, looking at
> pictures or videos or even going to the forums. But then I can visit
> something like Pogo.com and I have no problems. I thought at first it might
> have been a flash problem, but both sites I mentioned are heavy on the flash
> treatment; so why would it happen on one site and not the other? 5-10 seconds
> doesn't sound like much, but I'm used to everything being an instant click
> away. Dell.com, CircuitCity.com - temporary freezing; however Yahoo.com,
> BestBuy.com - no freezing.
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

williamtell

Re: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
Disable the Phishing Filter.
--
WT

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> TwoFrameTaco wrote:
> > First things first - I am running Vista Home Premium 32-bit, SP1.
> >
> > Seems about two weeks ago, IE seems to freeze for a moment when I load
> > certain websites. For example, if I were to go to Gamespot.com - it will load
> > most of, if not all, of the page and then freeze for about 5-10 seconds
> > before I can click any link.
> > This occurs throughout the site, whether going back or forward, looking at
> > pictures or videos or even going to the forums. But then I can visit
> > something like Pogo.com and I have no problems. I thought at first it might
> > have been a flash problem, but both sites I mentioned are heavy on the flash
> > treatment; so why would it happen on one site and not the other? 5-10 seconds
> > doesn't sound like much, but I'm used to everything being an instant click
> > away. Dell.com, CircuitCity.com - temporary freezing; however Yahoo.com,
> > BestBuy.com - no freezing.
> >
> > Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

md

Re: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
Try disabling Flash Player and see if that helps. From IE, choose
Tools>Manage Add-ons>Enable or Disable Add-ons and highlight
Shockwave
Flash Object and choose Disable. Close IE and see if the problem goes
away. Please share results if you don't mind -- curious if it works.
Kayman

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:00:01 -0800, williamtell wrote:

> Disable the Phishing Filter.

Risky advice!
williamtell

Re: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
There are times in life, when the cure out weighs the risk!
--
WT

"Kayman" wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 08:00:01 -0800, williamtell wrote:
>
> > Disable the Phishing Filter.

> Risky advice!

TwoFrameTaco

RE: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
Thanks for the help everyone. I disabled all of the add-ons, and re-enabled
them 1 at a time. Turns out, it was a Symantec add-on that was updated during
Norton Internet Security's LiveUpdate feature.

My browsing is back to normal now, no pauses whatsoever. I'm waiting on an
explanation from Symantec on how to re-enable this add-on without the pausing
occuring again.

Again thanks!
Leonard Grey

Re: IE7 freezes for a few seconds...
Norton strikes again!

Sorry about that...it's just one of the reasons that many of us in this
group won't install anything with the name 'Norton'.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est