Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

[crossposted to IE General]

Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.

If you're running IE7 in WinXP SP2/SP3, see...

A blank Web page is displayed when you start Internet Explorer 7
[ignore the title]
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385

cf. http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...every-startup/

=> IE General newsgroup:
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

JAGREEN wrote:
> Hi; Unsure if this is the right place to post. Having some real
> difficulty
> with what looks like malware or something. Cannot change
> homepage from www.msn.com regardless what I do.
>
> The Tools/Internet Options/General/Homepage has in it:
>
> "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" (don't click this link)
>
> There are also several registry keys which have this also. Spybot,
> Malwarebytes and my McAfee seem to not recognize this at all.
>
> Won't allow any changes to homepage. Unsure what else it might
> be doing.
>
> Any assistance on this appreciated. If not right forum - perhaps
> you could point me in right direction.
>
> Best,
> -- Joe

JAGREEN

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink
Running IE 7.0.5730.13 and Windows XP SP 2

Ran the registry zip file to fix the runonce3.aspx but that didn't solve,
upon bringing up IE7 after reboot it goes immediately to the link
"http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157".

I've read some of the recommended fixes (mainly from
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers/41.html) and can't seem to get anywhere.

Windows Defender - doesn't see anything
Spybot Search & Destroy - nothing
Malwarebytes.org - nothing

I then tried Hijackthis 2.0.2 and it shows the following Registry keys:

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL =
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,First Home Page =

Clicking "fix" doesn't because they immediately show back up again. Trying
regedit to change them doesn't take either.

In reading one of the various items it pointed to Windows Media Player.
I uninstalled via Add/Remove. Then went to C:\program files\Windows Media
Player and tried to delete the files there - I can't. If I delete they
amazingly come
back in a few seconds. I followed one of the other instructions and used
Killbox but
that too could not remove either WMP or the various go.microsoft.com/fwlink
registry lines.

Was recently in China which is when this all seemed to start.

Best & thanks,
-- Joe

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crossposted to IE General]
>
> Please state your IE version and full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3;
> Vista SP1) when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> If you're running IE7 in WinXP SP2/SP3, see...
>
> A blank Web page is displayed when you start Internet Explorer 7
> [ignore the title]
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/945385
>
> cf. http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/fi...every-startup/
>
> => IE General newsgroup:
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> JAGREEN wrote:
> > Hi; Unsure if this is the right place to post. Having some real
> > difficulty
> > with what looks like malware or something. Cannot change
> > homepage from www.msn.com regardless what I do.
> >
> > The Tools/Internet Options/General/Homepage has in it:
> >
> > "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" (don't click this link)
> >
> > There are also several registry keys which have this also. Spybot,
> > Malwarebytes and my McAfee seem to not recognize this at all.
> >
> > Won't allow any changes to homepage. Unsure what else it might
> > be doing.
> >
> > Any assistance on this appreciated. If not right forum - perhaps
> > you could point me in right direction.
> >
> > Best,
> > -- Joe

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink
1. One or more options/settings in an ever-growing number of third-party
applications may be disallowing the change(s) from "sticking". These include
but are not limited to Ad-aware Pro Ad-Watch, **Spybot Tea Timer**,
SpywareBlaster, SpySweeper, Spyware Doctor, CounterSpy, AVG Anti-Spyware,
Norton AntiVirus, McAfee VirusScan and/or Antispyware, NOD32, and Zone Alarm
(Free, Pro, & Security Suite).

> Was recently in China which is when this all seemed to start.

[I would NOT connect a Notebook PC to the internet anywhere in PRC or just
about anywhere in SE Asia. If my business required that I do so, I'd format
& reinstall Windows after returning home *and* before connecting the machine
to the internet or any networks.]

2. Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

to an appropriate forum.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=5878
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

When all else fails, HijackThis v2.0.2

JAGREEN wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> => IE General newsgroup:
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> JAGREEN wrote:
>>> Hi; Unsure if this is the right place to post. Having some real
>>> difficulty
>>> with what looks like malware or something. Cannot change
>>> homepage from www.msn.com regardless what I do.
>>>
>>> The Tools/Internet Options/General/Homepage has in it:
>>>
>>> "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" (don't click this link)
>>>
>>> There are also several registry keys which have this also. Spybot,
>>> Malwarebytes and my McAfee seem to not recognize this at all.
>>>
>>> Won't allow any changes to homepage. Unsure what else it might
>>> be doing.
>>>
>>> Any assistance on this appreciated. If not right forum - perhaps

Kayman

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink
On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 01:38:28 -0500, PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

> [I would NOT connect a Notebook PC to the internet anywhere in PRC or just
> about anywhere in SE Asia.

LOL, I reside/travel in SE Asia for last 20 years... (your knowledge seems
extensive; can you also see Russia from your porch?)
Steve Riley [MSFT]

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink
> [I would NOT connect a Notebook PC to the internet anywhere in PRC or just
> about anywhere in SE Asia. If my business required that I do so, I'd
> format & reinstall Windows after returning home *and* before connecting
> the machine to the internet or any networks.]

Are you implying that there's something different about attacks in Asia that
permit them to penetrate all defenses and turn every computer into a
spam-spewing zombie? Do you have evidence to support your assertion?

I spend a great deal of time in Asia every year. Typical defenses -- keep
your computer patched, enable the firewall, use anti-malware -- apply
equally all over the world. Besides, the Internet certainly pays no
attention to geography. If an attack originates in country X, it can target
any computer it wants, anywhere on the planet; targets that happen to
physically be in country X aren't automatically more vulnerable.

--
Steve Riley
steve.riley@microsoft.com

Margie1939

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

--
Margie O''Connor

"JAGREEN" wrote:

> [...]
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
> > AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > JAGREEN wrote:
> > > Hi; Unsure if this is the right place to post. Having some real
> > > difficulty
> > > with what looks like malware or something. Cannot change
> > > homepage from www.msn.com regardless what I do.
> > >
> > > The Tools/Internet Options/General/Homepage has in it:
> > >
> > > "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" (don't click this link)
> > >
> > > There are also several registry keys which have this also. Spybot,
> > > Malwarebytes and my McAfee seem to not recognize this at all.
> > >
> > > Won't allow any changes to homepage. Unsure what else it might
> > > be doing.
> > >
> > > Any assistance on this appreciated. If not right forum - perhaps

Laura M.

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink

"JAGREEN" wrote:

> [...]
> > DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
> >
> > JAGREEN wrote:
> > > Hi; Unsure if this is the right place to post. Having some real
> > > difficulty
> > > with what looks like malware or something. Cannot change
> > > homepage from www.msn.com regardless what I do.
> > >
> > > The Tools/Internet Options/General/Homepage has in it:
> > >
> > > "http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157" (don't click this link)
> > >
> > > There are also several registry keys which have this also. Spybot,
> > > Malwarebytes and my McAfee seem to not recognize this at all.
> > >
> > > Won't allow any changes to homepage. Unsure what else it might
> > > be doing.
> > >
> > > Any assistance on this appreciated. If not right forum - perhaps
> > > you could point me in right direction.
> > >
> > > Best,
> > > -- Joe

> > Try to find your link on microsoft.com/downloads

AnluiseMarcelle

Re: go.microsoft.com/fwlink
Hi, this damned nuisance window from Microsoft has nothing to do with being
in China. I live in Cumbria and have had this problem for over a month. I
have written to Microsoft several times about it and they just ignore me.

I am now going to try unloading IE7 and reloading again. If that does not
work I am moving to Opera.

I also have a great IT guy who is coming down to have a go at getting rid of
this - which is actually an advert for IE beta 8 - and if I have any success
I'll let you know
Cheers.....Anluise