Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7

Edye

Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
I had to do a reinstall of XP Pro yesterday. In doing so, I've lost the
robust print preview options located in IE7 I had before the reinstall. When
I clicked print preview I could turn headers/footers on/off, change page
orientation and page size all with the click of buttons. After the
reinstall, I'm back to the old version where I have to manually remove
headers/footer, etc. I've done all the IE7 updates but it hasn't returned.
Any ideas? Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
If you open Print Preview, does the keyboard shortcut ALT+E remove/add
headers & footers? Does ALT+L switch to Landscape view? Is there a "Shrink
To Fit" box where you can select other settings from its drop-down menu?

Why did you reinstall WinXP yesterday and how did you do it (e.g., repair
install; format & clean install)?

Prior to the reinstall, were you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the
latter, had IE7 been installed before or after SP3 had been installed?

Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you install
IE7 before or after you installed SP3?

in the background when you installed WinXP SP3 or IE7?

Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file |
Properties | Version: What version is displayed here?
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Edye wrote:
> I had to do a reinstall of XP Pro yesterday. In doing so, I've lost the
> robust print preview options located in IE7 I had before the reinstall.
> When I clicked print preview I could turn headers/footers on/off, change
> page orientation and page size all with the click of buttons. After the
> reinstall, I'm back to the old version where I have to manually remove
> headers/footer, etc. I've done all the IE7 updates but it hasn't
> returned.
> Any ideas? Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Edye

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
None of the keyboard shortucts you mentioned worked with my print preview and
there is no "Shrink to Fit" with options.

I had to reinstall because I had too many Windows errors (explorer.exe
hanging, corrupt files, etc.) I didn't perform the task (my IT guys did) but
I'm pretty sure it was a repair install. At no time did we format the
harddrive to do a clean install.

I was running WinXP SP2 before the repair install and am now running WinXP
SP2. I have never loaded SP3 on any of my PCs.

I've been running Avast AV Home Edition for the past 18 months. No 3rd
party spyware, firewall or any other funky things running.

My IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814.1233 with a product id of
92318-600-0051503-88414. On another PC I have (which has the robust print
preview feature and is also WinXP SP2), the IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13 with a
product id of 9238-600-0011903-00107. The keyboard shortcuts do work on this
other PC.

Did I hit all your questions? Thanks!

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If you open Print Preview, does the keyboard shortcut ALT+E remove/add
> headers & footers? Does ALT+L switch to Landscape view? Is there a "Shrink
> To Fit" box where you can select other settings from its drop-down menu?
>
> Why did you reinstall WinXP yesterday and how did you do it (e.g., repair
> install; format & clean install)?
>
> Prior to the reinstall, were you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the
> latter, had IE7 been installed before or after SP3 had been installed?
>
> Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you install
> IE7 before or after you installed SP3?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed WinXP SP3 or IE7?
>
> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file |
> Properties | Version: What version is displayed here?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>
> Edye wrote:
> > I had to do a reinstall of XP Pro yesterday. In doing so, I've lost the
> > robust print preview options located in IE7 I had before the reinstall.
> > When I clicked print preview I could turn headers/footers on/off, change
> > page orientation and page size all with the click of buttons. After the
> > reinstall, I'm back to the old version where I have to manually remove
> > headers/footer, etc. I've done all the IE7 updates but it hasn't
> > returned.
> > Any ideas? Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
All symptoms point to a horked (bad; faulty) install of IE7, Edye. How best
to resolve this could get complicated. I will have some suggestions after
seeing your reply to this message.

> I had to reinstall because I had too many Windows errors (explorer.exe
> hanging, corrupt files, etc.) I didn't perform the task (my IT guys did)
> but I'm pretty sure it was a repair install.

If the problems were caused by a "hijackware" infection, a Repair Install
may not have fully resolved them. Furthermore, IE7 should have been
uninstalled (via Add/Remove Programs) before the Repair Install was done.
If the tech didn't do so, this may be the cause of the Print Preview issue.

> My IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814.1233...

I'd asked you to right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file, select Properties and then select the
Version tab. Is that what you did? If not, please do so now and tell me
what the version's reported there.
--
~PA Bear

Edye wrote:
> None of the keyboard shortucts you mentioned worked with my print preview
> and there is no "Shrink to Fit" with options.
>
> I had to reinstall because I had too many Windows errors (explorer.exe
> hanging, corrupt files, etc.) I didn't perform the task (my IT guys did)
> but I'm pretty sure it was a repair install. At no time did we format the
> harddrive to do a clean install.
>
> I was running WinXP SP2 before the repair install and am now running WinXP
> SP2. I have never loaded SP3 on any of my PCs.
>
> I've been running Avast AV Home Edition for the past 18 months. No 3rd
> party spyware, firewall or any other funky things running.
>
> My IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814.1233 with a product id
> of
> 92318-600-0051503-88414. On another PC I have (which has the robust print
> preview feature and is also WinXP SP2), the IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13
> with
> a product id of 9238-600-0011903-00107. The keyboard shortcuts do work on
> this other PC.
>
> Did I hit all your questions? Thanks!
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> If you open Print Preview, does the keyboard shortcut ALT+E remove/add
>> headers & footers? Does ALT+L switch to Landscape view? Is there a
>> "Shrink To Fit" box where you can select other settings from its
>> drop-down
>> menu?
>>
>> Why did you reinstall WinXP yesterday and how did you do it (e.g., repair
>> install; format & clean install)?
>>
>> Prior to the reinstall, were you running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the
>> latter, had IE7 been installed before or after SP3 had been installed?
>>
>> Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you
>> install
>> IE7 before or after you installed SP3?

>> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3 or
>> IE7?
>>
>> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
>> file
>> | Properties | Version: What version is displayed here?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Edye wrote:
>>> I had to do a reinstall of XP Pro yesterday. In doing so, I've lost the
>>> robust print preview options located in IE7 I had before the reinstall.
>>> When I clicked print preview I could turn headers/footers on/off, change
>>> page orientation and page size all with the click of buttons. After the
>>> reinstall, I'm back to the old version where I have to manually remove
>>> headers/footer, etc. I've done all the IE7 updates but it hasn't
>>> returned.
>>> Any ideas? Running Windows XP Pro SP2.

Jim

"Edye" <Edye@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> [...]
>>
>> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
>> file |
>> Properties | Version: What version is displayed here?
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
>> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/
>>
>> Edye wrote:
>> > I had to do a reinstall of XP Pro yesterday. In doing so, I've lost
>> > the
>> > robust print preview options located in IE7 I had before the reinstall.
>> > When I clicked print preview I could turn headers/footers on/off,
>> > change
>> > page orientation and page size all with the click of buttons. After
>> > the
>> > reinstall, I'm back to the old version where I have to manually remove
>> > headers/footer, etc. I've done all the IE7 updates but it hasn't

The product id of my IE7 is 9238-600-0011903-00107. As near as I can tell,
the print functions operates correctly.
Is there any reason why installation has one product id while another
installation has a different one? My computer is running XP SP3.
I have no problems with SP3. But, I would not install SP3 until I got IE7
fixed.
Jim

Edye

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
Finding the version as you described gives me version 7.0.6000.16735 on the
reinstalled WinXP PC. When I click "file version" in the box below it gives
me the above version number plus (vista_gdr.080820-1506).
In the secondary PC that works correctly, IE has version 7.0.6000.16705
(vista_gdr.080618-1506).

We're pretty sure the bad files were caused by hardware (hard
drive/motherboard) issues. Before we ran the reinstall, we ran hijackthis,
combofix plus 3 other spyware/adware/hijack tools. All of them came up clean
every time.

My print preview works, it's just a less robust version than I had grown
accustomed to.

Thanks for your time and energy...

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> latter, had IE7 been installed before or after SP3 had been installed?
> >>
> >> Are you now running WinXP SP2 or WinXP SP3? If the latter, did you
> >> install
> >> IE7 before or after you installed SP3?
> >>
> >> What anti-virus application or security suite is installed and is your
> >> subscription current? What anti-spyware applications (other than
> >> Defender)? What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these
> >> applications running in the background when you installed WinXP SP3 or
> >> IE7?
> >>
> >> Right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this
> >> file
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >> DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
> In the secondary PC that works correctly, IE has version 7.0.6000.16705

OT? => The second machine is over 2 months behind on critical security
updates and is a security risk to the user(s) and any networks to which it's
connected! Why isn't the machine fully patched?

===================

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
--
~PA Bear

Edye wrote:
> [...]

>>> I was running WinXP SP2 before the repair install and am now running
>>> WinXP
>>> SP2. I have never loaded SP3 on any of my PCs.
>>>
>>> I've been running Avast AV Home Edition for the past 18 months. No 3rd
>>> party spyware, firewall or any other funky things running.
>>>
>>> My IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13.xpsp_sp2_gdr.080814.1233 with a product id
>>> of
>>> 92318-600-0051503-88414. On another PC I have (which has the robust
>>> print
>>> preview feature and is also WinXP SP2), the IE7 version is 7.0.5730.13
>>> with
>>> a product id of 9238-600-0011903-00107. The keyboard shortcuts do work
>>> on
>>> this other PC.
>>>
>>> Did I hit all your questions? Thanks!

Edye

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
The secondary PC is a non-networked stand alone PC that uses a separate
internet connection from the remainder of the PCs. It's the kids' PC that
has absolutely nothing important on it. I've applied the latest updates so
it's now safe and secure.

In reference to the orignal problem...

1. Starting IE7 with no Add-ons did not help.
2. Resetting the IE7 settings did not help.
3. Uninstalling IE7 (rolling back to IE6) did not help.
4. Reinstalling IE7 per Sandi's installation tips DID fix the problem.
5. All possible MS patches & updates have been applied and my IE7 is now
back to it's happy place

Thank you so much for your time & energy and I will pass along the
"uninstall IE7 before running a repair" to everyone.

Edye

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [...]

> >> All symptoms point to a horked (bad; faulty) install of IE7, Edye. How
> >> best to resolve this could get complicated. I will have some suggestions
> >> after seeing your reply to this message.

> >> If the problems were caused by a "hijackware" infection, a Repair Install
> >> may not have fully resolved them. Furthermore, IE7 should have been
> >> uninstalled (via Add/Remove Programs) before the Repair Install was done.
> >> If the tech didn't do so, this may be the cause of the Print Preview
> >> issue.

> >> I'd asked you to right-click on C:\Program Files\Internet
> >> Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE <=this file, select Properties and then select the
> >> Version tab. Is that what you did? If not, please do so now and tell me
> >> what the version's reported there.
> >> --
> >> ~PA Bear

Re: Robust Print Preview Function Lost in IE7
You're welcome and thanks very much for your feedback, Edye! Glad to help.