»Save Image As«Broken...Again. Interesting New Observation.

Nils Gösche

»Save Image As«Broken...Again. Interesting New Observation.
Hi!

I have just been stricken by the infamous »Save Image As bmp« bug again.
This time nothing would help. I did everything suggested in

but it wouldn't help. Every temporary internet file has been deleted,
every cookie too, Flash and Java uninstalled, the temporary internet
files folder has been moved, I rebooted countless times, nothing helped
this time. Then I noticed something: This time, at least, the bug
occurred only on a particular page! Images on other pages could be
saved as jpegs just fine! But when I direct IE at this URL for example:

http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...l-gets-you.jpg

or any page that links to this image with an IMG tag, then the »save as«
dialog will only offer bmp as file type (and suggest »untitled« as file
name). But otherwise, IE works just fine!

It would be really nice if Microsoft fixed this ancient bug,
eventually...

Regards,
--
Nils Gösche
»Don't ask for whom the <CTRL-G> tolls.«
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: »Save Image As« Broken...Again. Interesting New Observation.
"Nils "Gösche"" <cartan@cartan.de> wrote in message
> Hi!
>
> I have just been stricken by the infamous »Save Image As bmp« bug again.
> This time nothing would help. I did everything suggested in

> but it wouldn't help. Every temporary internet file has been deleted,
> every cookie too, Flash and Java uninstalled, the temporary internet
> files folder has been moved, I rebooted countless times, nothing helped
> this time. Then I noticed something: This time, at least, the bug
> occurred only on a particular page! Images on other pages could be
> saved as jpegs just fine! But when I direct IE at this URL for example:
>
> http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...l-gets-you.jpg
>
> or any page that links to this image with an IMG tag, then the »save as«
> dialog will only offer bmp as file type (and suggest »untitled« as file
> name). But otherwise, IE works just fine!

That happens when the Temporary Internet Files are too full. In IE click
Tools | Internet Options. Click Delete Files in the Temporary Internet
files section of the General tab. On the next window place a check mark in
the box to Delete all offline content.

If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and scroll
down to the Security section. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted pages to
disk".

Click Start/Run and type this command to fix the 'Content Type' settings:

regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
(and/or)
regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll (for WinXP)

--
Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email

Nils Gösche

"Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM" <franksaunders@mvps.org> writes:

> That happens when the Temporary Internet Files are too full. In IE
> click Tools | Internet Options. Click Delete Files in the Temporary
> Internet files section of the General tab. On the next window place a
> check mark in the box to Delete all offline content.
>
> If that doesn't fix it, go to Tools | Internet Options | Advanced and
> scroll down to the Security section. Uncheck "Do not save encrypted
> pages to disk".
>
> Click Start/Run and type this command to fix the 'Content Type' settings:
>
> regsvr32 /i mshtml.dll
> (and/or)
> regsvr32 /i shimgvw.dll (for WinXP)

I had tried all that, too (I found an old posting of yours ;-), but it
didn't help.

Regards,
--
Nils Gösche
»Don't ask for whom the <CTRL-G> tolls.«
Don Varnau

Re: »Save Image As« Broken...Again. Interesting New Observation.
Hi,
Quote:
This time, at least, the bug occurred only on a particular page
I don't think this is the same old ancient bug.
I've seen the full/corrupted cache problem. This isn't it.
There's something unusual about that particular image.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...l-gets-you.jpg
Three versions of IE will only save it as a BMP. Firefox is willing to save
it as a JPG.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]