Memory Leak in IE WebBrowser Control

Cyber_86

Memory Leak in IE WebBrowser Control
I had asked this question in the C# Development forum, but one of the
moderators informed me that I needed to ask it in this forum...

This appears to be a common problem, but so far I have not found any answers
to it.

I am building a C# application with an IE WebBrowser control in it.
Whenever I navigate within a page I've loaded in the control, large amounts
of memory are being used and not released. After 7 hours of use, my app was
showing a memory use of 900MB, which is simply unacceptable for my clients.

My question (for myself and all the others who have asked it) is: how can we
release the memory being used by the WebBrowser control without completely
shutting down the application? I have tried removing the WebBrowser control
from it's parent form and calling the dispose() Method on it, but the memory
is not released. I have confirmed the memory leak with Taskmgr.exe,
Perfmon.exe, and Process Explorer, all of which show this abnormally high
memory usage.

I understand that the memory usage might come in part from circular
references in the underlying DOM object, but I need a way to manually free
this memory from time to time.

If this is in no way possible, then what alternatives do developers have
(seeing as this memory usage is not acceptable to many of us)?

I would really appreciate it, and think it would be great if we can finally
resolve this issue! Thank you so much for your assistance!

Again, I apologize if this is the wrong discussion group, but I was informed
that this was the place to post this!

Re: Memory Leak in IE WebBrowser Control
I, in turn, am going to point you to...

MSDN IE Development Forums
http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/def...D=253&SiteID=1
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Cyber_86 wrote:
> I had asked this question in the C# Development forum, but one of the
> moderators informed me that I needed to ask it in this forum...
>
> This appears to be a common problem, but so far I have not found any
> answers
> to it.
>
> I am building a C# application with an IE WebBrowser control in it.
> Whenever I navigate within a page I've loaded in the control, large
> amounts
> of memory are being used and not released. After 7 hours of use, my app
> was
> showing a memory use of 900MB, which is simply unacceptable for my
> clients.
>
> My question (for myself and all the others who have asked it) is: how can
> we
> release the memory being used by the WebBrowser control without completely
> shutting down the application? I have tried removing the WebBrowser
> control
> from it's parent form and calling the dispose() Method on it, but the
> memory
> is not released. I have confirmed the memory leak with Taskmgr.exe,
> Perfmon.exe, and Process Explorer, all of which show this abnormally high
> memory usage.
>
> I understand that the memory usage might come in part from circular
> references in the underlying DOM object, but I need a way to manually free
> this memory from time to time.
>
> If this is in no way possible, then what alternatives do developers have
> (seeing as this memory usage is not acceptable to many of us)?
>
> I would really appreciate it, and think it would be great if we can
> finally
> resolve this issue! Thank you so much for your assistance!
>
> Again, I apologize if this is the wrong discussion group, but I was
> informed
> that this was the place to post this!

Cyber_86

Re: Memory Leak in IE WebBrowser Control
Thank you, I will try asking it there!