Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close

Ronlene

Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the update.
I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I cannot
find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug or
close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!! Thanks
Gordon

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
"Ronlene" <Ronlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the
> update.
> I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I
> cannot
> find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug
> or
> close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!!
> Thanks

And you've tried WRONG!!!!

REPLY TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD - you've started ANOTHER ONE!

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
ALWAYS reply to your original thread, please.

1. Does this behavior persist if you start IE7 in No Add-ons mode? To start
IE7 in No Add-ons mode:

• Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
Add-ons; or

• Start > (All) Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Internet
Explorer (No add-ons).

2. Does the problem persist if you Reset IE7 Settings (RIES)?

3. If you uninstall (a) IE7 *exactly* per the link below (which
automatically returns you to IE6), (b) all toolbars and (c) all third-party
Windows Themes (including Window Blinds) and do NOT reinstall IE7, does this
behavior persist?

NB: If it does, do NOT reinstall IE7.

Uninstalling IE7
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
[Only use the Command %windir%\ie7\spuninst\spuninst.exe if you cannot
uninstall via Add/Remove Programs! It's safe to ignore any "such and such
may not work" warnings. Ignore any references to Vista on the webpage.]

Also see:

IE7 (Un)Installation and Anti-Malware Applications:

4. Assuming IE6 does not have these problems (other than opening a link in a
new tab, which will not be available), the follow is required reading IMHO
before reinstalling IE7:

Sandi's Installation Tips <= Steps #1-8, #10 & #11; take note of #12, then
STOP
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install [Again, ignore any
references to Vista]

I strongly recommend using
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/dow.../getitnow.mspx as the

Or use this Download link:
(Tip: Save the installer to your desktop, do not Run it.)

5. Make *certain* that you check in at Windows Update immediately after
reinstalling IE7 to install any critical updates offered. If Optional
Software Updates category offers Root Certificates update, opt to install it
to take full advantage of IE7's additional security.
AumHa VSOP & Admin http://aumha.net
DTS-L http://dts-l.net/

Ronlene wrote:
> I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the
> update. I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs",
> but
> I cannot find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices
> are
> debug or close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please
> HELP!! Thanks

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
procedures described here:

http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.

If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
directions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
....and...
http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html

then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).

Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.

Problems can also result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.

Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:

If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)

following target path:

If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.

Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
viruses or other malicious software.

---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Ronlene wrote:
> I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the update.
> I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I cannot
> find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug or
> close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!! Thanks

Ronlene

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
Thank you for your helpful response. I will try your suggestions. Ron

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> Problems can also result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
> damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Ronlene wrote:
> > I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> > downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the update.
> > I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I cannot
> > find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug or
> > close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!! Thanks

Ronlene

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
This is my first time using discussion groups. Your message did nothing to
help me solve my problem!!!

"Gordon" wrote:

> "Ronlene" <Ronlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> > downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the
> > update.
> > I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I
> > cannot
> > find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug
> > or
> > close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!!
> > Thanks

> And you've tried WRONG!!!!
>
> REPLY TO THE ORIGINAL THREAD - you've started ANOTHER ONE!

Ronlene

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
Hi Len,
You probably noticed by now that I am a NuBee when it comes to asking
questions. How can I print the worthwhile information that you gave me?? Ron

"Leonard Grey" wrote:

> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
> procedures described here:
>
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>
> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
> directions:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
> ....and...
> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>
> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>
> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>
> Problems can also result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
> damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>
> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>
> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>
> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
> following target path:
>
> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>
> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>
> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
> viruses or other malicious software.
>
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare Humanum Est
>
> Ronlene wrote:
> > I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> > downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the update.
> > I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I cannot
> > find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug or
> > close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!! Thanks

Leonard Grey

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
In most programs: File > Print.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Ronlene wrote:
> Hi Len,
> You probably noticed by now that I am a NuBee when it comes to asking
> questions. How can I print the worthwhile information that you gave me?? Ron
>
> "Leonard Grey" wrote:
>
>> Before installing IE 7 you need to have carefully followed the
>> procedures described here:
>>
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install.
>>
>> If you did not follow these instructions you may have a damaged or
>> incomplete installation. Uninstall IE 7 (which automatically returns you
>> to your previous version of Internet Explorer) by following these
>> directions:
>>
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927177
>> ....and...
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/kbase2.html
>>
>> then follow the procedures described above and re-install IE 7. It's
>> better to download the IE 7 installer directly from Microsoft and
>> install from your hard disk (rather than going through Windows Update).
>>
>> Note: If you installed Service Pack 3 after you installed IE 7, you will
>> have to remove SP 3 before you can remove IE 7.
>>
>> Problems can also result when add-ons, including browser toolbars, are
>> damaged or conflict with Internet Explorer.
>>
>> Run Internet Explorer 7 in 'No Add-Ons' mode:
>>
>> If you have Vista: Start > type Internet Explorer in the Start Search
>> box > click Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> If you have XP: Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools >
>> Internet Explorer (No Add-Ons)
>>
>> Alternatively, you can create a shortcut on your desktop with the
>> following target path:
>>
>> "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -extoff
>>
>> If no problems occur in 'No Add-Ons' mode, the problem is caused by one
>> of the add-ons that load together with Internet Explorer 7.
>>
>> Problems with Internet Explorer can also be caused by the presence of
>> viruses or other malicious software.
>>
>> ---
>> Leonard Grey
>> Errare Humanum Est
>>
>> Ronlene wrote:
>>> I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
>>> downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the update.
>>> I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I cannot
>>> find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug or
>>> close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!! Thanks

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM

Re: Internet Explorer has encountered a problem nad needs to close
"Ronlene" <Ronlene@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I' ll try again! The Dell Desktop is running on Windows XP SP 3. I have
> downloaded IE7 over IE6. The problem seems to have started with the
> update.
> I have tried the self help areas, which deal with "Smart Tabs", but I
> cannot
> find them on my computer. When the message appears, my choices are debug
> or
> close. Either way, I loose the program I am working on. Please HELP!!
> Thanks

I know of three causes for the vast majority of such problems:
1. You might have incompatible add-ons:
Go to Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools
and click Internet Explorer (No Add-ons).

2. Tools | Internet Options | Advanced
Scroll to the bottom and click Reset Internet Explorer Settings. Read this
article first:
How to use Reset Internet Explorer Settings (RIES):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923737
Note that the Reset IE Settings button will delete AutoComplete data (such
as passwords.) Do you have those backed up?

3. Malware already installed on the computer: Help with malware
All MS-MVP Sites.
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

So How Did I Get Infected Anyway?
whose ads for
malware don't identify the malware as such and try to convince you that you
owe it to the author. See also:
of.

You might also try the steps here:
"Internet Explorer stops responding, stops working, or restarts"

Frank Saunders MS-MVP IE,OE/WM
Do not reply with email