can't see the right hand side of a webpage in 800x600

Nih

can't see the right hand side of a webpage in 800x600
Once we updated from IE6 to IE7 a problem popped up for some websites for
users who use 800x600 desktops (they claim the icons are too small otherwise)

The problem is they will load a certain webpage and the page continues off
to the right but the screen is cut off so they cannot see that right hand
side of the page, there is no horizontal scrollbar to scroll over. If you
change the zoom in the lower right corner to 75% you can see the whole page
but everything gets squished together.

The page they are using has a link on the right to print a report off of the
site, they can't see this pring link becuase it is off on the part of the
page they can't see. Once you shrink the page you can see the print link but
clicking it activates the link to the left of it, you have to click the link
to the right of Print in order to actually activate the print link (hence the
squishing I mentioned)

Are there any settings I can look for to either display the page differently
or add the missing horizontal scrollbar (scrollbar appears on other pages
though). I tested the site on IE6 and it works fine, the problem starts with
IE7
Leonard Grey

Re: can't see the right hand side of a webpage in 800x600
Increasingly fewer websites are being designed for optimal viewing at
800 X 600, since few people use monitors with that resolution.

Internet Explorer has a 'zoom' control that may fit the web page onto
your users' monitors. They will do better to use their monitors' native
resolution and instead increase the size of the icons on their desktop.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare Humanum Est

Nih wrote:
> Once we updated from IE6 to IE7 a problem popped up for some websites for
> users who use 800x600 desktops (they claim the icons are too small otherwise)
>
> The problem is they will load a certain webpage and the page continues off
> to the right but the screen is cut off so they cannot see that right hand
> side of the page, there is no horizontal scrollbar to scroll over. If you
> change the zoom in the lower right corner to 75% you can see the whole page
> but everything gets squished together.
>
> The page they are using has a link on the right to print a report off of the
> site, they can't see this pring link becuase it is off on the part of the
> page they can't see. Once you shrink the page you can see the print link but
> clicking it activates the link to the left of it, you have to click the link
> to the right of Print in order to actually activate the print link (hence the
> squishing I mentioned)
>
> Are there any settings I can look for to either display the page differently
> or add the missing horizontal scrollbar (scrollbar appears on other pages
> though). I tested the site on IE6 and it works fine, the problem starts with
> IE7

Robert Aldwinckle

"Nih" <Nih@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7B37A9B4-6169-44B4-85FA-31208E450BC0@microsoft.com...
> Once we updated from IE6 to IE7 a problem popped up for some websites for
> users who use 800x600 desktops (they claim the icons are too small otherwise)
>
> The problem is they will load a certain webpage and the page continues off
> to the right but the screen is cut off so they cannot see that right hand
> side of the page,

> there is no horizontal scrollbar to scroll over.

Have you tried using AutoScroll instead? (E.g. press Middleclick
to get that feature's anchor icon and then see if the page will scroll
even though there are no scrollbars on the window.)

Also, this scenario (no scrollbars when scrollbars are needed) occurs
more frequently with popup windows. In that case cloning the window
(e.g. pressing Ctrl-N) often results in an equivalent window with more
controls available for it.

> If you
> change the zoom in the lower right corner to 75% you can see the whole page
> but everything gets squished together.
>
> The page they are using has a link on the right to print a report off of the
> site, they can't see this pring link becuase it is off on the part of the
> page they can't see. Once you shrink the page you can see the print link but
> clicking it activates the link to the left of it, you have to click the link
> to the right of Print in order to actually activate the print link (hence the
> squishing I mentioned)

In that case instead of clicking, perhaps they should try tabbing to the correct link
and then pressing Enter? BTW once the correct key sequence was known it could be
that it would be unnecessary to actually see its results in order to function satisfactorily.

> Are there any settings I can look for to either display the page differently
> or add the missing horizontal scrollbar (scrollbar appears on other pages
> though). I tested the site on IE6 and it works fine, the problem starts with
> IE7

You could also try IE8. I think the zoom has improved on it. ; )
Note though that it is still only a beta version.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---