IE7 'Run-As' Option; Admin Login

a144mb

IE7 'Run-As' Option; Admin Login
I'm sooooo used to using IE 6, that whenever I'm logged in as a restricted
user in Windows XP, I could 'right-click' on the IE icon in the quick-launch
menu...select 'Run-as' and type in the local administrator account
credentials without having to logout and log back in to XP as the
Administrator account. Whenever I do this feature with IE 7, yes, it does
allow me to login to the local admin account. But whenever I try to navigate
through the hard drive in that same IE 7 browser window, it continuously pops
up a seperate IE 7 window that is associated with the restricted user
account!!! And I'm back to square one! And I've tried this one multiple PCs
in different environments and receive the same results. So it's something
that I'm missing and I doubt MS screwed up this valuable feature. Otherwise,
it's like using Windows NT all over again...login User, logout, login Admin,
logout, login User. For instance, if I'm logged into a restricted user
account and go the 'Run-As' routine...I'm usually trying to navigate to
Computer Management and adjust the rights of an account. Can someone please
tell me how to properly access this 'feature' in IE 7?! Thanks in advance for
your response(s).
Damo

RE: IE7 'Run-As' Option; Admin Login
I allso have this problem.

I use IE6 and have got very used to spawning new windows with admin
credentials after launching IE6 with the 'runas' command

IE7 has become a complete frustration for me since it no longer has the
behaviour (by default only I hope!)

To work round it 'Switch user' and login with my admin account but this much
more of a hasle than launching windows as an admin on a restricted user
account

Is there any User Account Control settings that will revert this behaviour
without grossly comprimising XP or Vista security?

With thanks

--
Damon A [Infrastructure Analyst]

"a144mb" wrote:

> I'm sooooo used to using IE 6, that whenever I'm logged in as a restricted
> user in Windows XP, I could 'right-click' on the IE icon in the quick-launch
> menu...select 'Run-as' and type in the local administrator account
> credentials without having to logout and log back in to XP as the
> Administrator account. Whenever I do this feature with IE 7, yes, it does
> allow me to login to the local admin account. But whenever I try to navigate
> through the hard drive in that same IE 7 browser window, it continuously pops
> up a seperate IE 7 window that is associated with the restricted user
> account!!! And I'm back to square one! And I've tried this one multiple PCs
> in different environments and receive the same results. So it's something
> that I'm missing and I doubt MS screwed up this valuable feature. Otherwise,
> it's like using Windows NT all over again...login User, logout, login Admin,
> logout, login User. For instance, if I'm logged into a restricted user
> account and go the 'Run-As' routine...I'm usually trying to navigate to
> Computer Management and adjust the rights of an account. Can someone please
> tell me how to properly access this 'feature' in IE 7?! Thanks in advance for
> your response(s).

Damo

RE: IE7 'Run-As' Option; Admin Login
I'm beginning to come to the conclusion that this behaviour is deliberate in
IE7

From speaking to a colleague at work, I think IE7 has been made more secure
than IE6 by being detached from "Windows Explorer". Before you could type c:
(or 'control panel') within the address bar and IE6 would automatically open
them in the same window. This is because IE6 was tied in with 'windows
explorer'. IE7 is not, thus a new window is launched running as separate
process & executable (In Vista, this executable would be effected by the new
User Access Control properties)? Please can someone with an expert opinion
correct me if I'm wrong here! ...

A work around could be to use the runas command in a shortcut to launch
windows explorer for drive navigation or the appropriate executable for
bringing up the control panel (can't quite remember the name of it but I know
there is one!)